IGNORED

Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day 28

I had the opportunity to attend this match today. A detour that would have cost me about £500 in a travel route that would also have taken in Oslo and Lillestrom erstwhile and final destination for one of Barnsley's celebrated players in Norwegian Jan Aage Fjortoft. I just took a look at his all important stats and boy could both Barnsley and City do with this sort of player today: 

Prolific at virtually every club he played for in Norway, Austria, Germany and England, he finished his career with 249 goals in 548 appearances. He also played for the Norway national side from 1986 to 1996 representing them 71 times and scoring 20 goals.

A magnificent career.

Suffice to say I decided against the expense. As I mentioned over on the 'Ekambi' thread I think that most of the ire against Lee Johnson is with the lack of an enjoyable performance, the lack of fight and the obvious lack of wins. All 3 are fairly important, 2 under a level of duress or 1 if Johnson is totally inept at managing and/or recruiting. It could be argued City are currently at about 0.5. I am not advocating an opinion on the future of the club manager merely pointing out a malaise with his workmanship. I must have used that word malaise a dozen times to describe a perception of feeling we fans have during his 4 year tenure. Highs and lows. 

A win today and all will be right with the world around BS3? I doubt that will be the case. It is, once again, a rollercoaster being a City fan and I do not doubt for a second that the effort is there and the heart is in the right place when it comes to Lee Johnson. We will see where we are at the end of today and the end of the season because it will be business as usual win, lose or draw and wherever the club ends in the table. Enjoy the game; likely to be full of goals if previous matches are anything to go on.

34 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I had the opportunity to attend this match today. A detour that would have cost me about £500 in a travel route that would also have taken in Oslo and Lillestrom erstwhile and final destination for one of Barnsley's celebrated players in Norwegian Jan Aage Fjortoft. I just took a look at his all important stats and boy could both Barnsley and City do with this sort of player today: 

Prolific at virtually every club he played for in Norway, Austria, Germany and England, he finished his career with 249 goals in 548 appearances. He also played for the Norway national side from 1986 to 1996 representing them 71 times and scoring 20 goals.

A magnificent career.

Suffice to say I decided against the expense. As I mentioned over on the 'Ekambi' thread I think that most of the ire against Lee Johnson is with the lack of an enjoyable performance, the lack of fight and the obvious lack of wins. All 3 are fairly important, 2 under a level of duress or 1 if Johnson is totally inept at managing and/or recruiting. It could be argued City are currently at about 0.5. I am not advocating an opinion on the future of the club manager merely pointing out a malaise with his workmanship. I must have used that word malaise a dozen times to describe a perception of feeling we fans have during his 4 year tenure. Highs and lows. 

A win today and all will be right with the world around BS3? I doubt that will be the case. It is, once again, a rollercoaster being a City fan and I do not doubt for a second that the effort is there and the heart is in the right place when it comes to Lee Johnson. We will see where we are at the end of today and the end of the season because it will be business as usual win, lose or draw and wherever the club ends in the table. Enjoy the game; likely to be full of goals if previous matches are anything to go on.

Shortened version:

Barnsley -  a malaisehole 'oop north. :) 

24 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

Looking forward to today as I don't get to many but I shall be there.  Will be only my 9th game in two seasons.

However, my record over that time stands at:

L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L

So I apologise for the horror show that awaits you all and recommend you don't go as I'll be there.

Please stay at home

46 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

Looking forward to today as I don't get to many but I shall be there.  Will be only my 9th game in two seasons.

L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L

So I apologise for the horror show that awaits you all and recommend you don't go as I'll be there.

Are you Marley Watkins..?

1 hour ago, Bristol is red said:

L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L

Forget our poor form, i hope today we get a win for your sake mate. What a horrible run.

Perhaps you're like LJ himself and s positive streak is just around the corner.

1 hour ago, Bristol is red said:

L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L

I live in Cardiff and my daughter has been asking me to take her to a football match, this is one of the key reasons I'm holding off, because I don't want her first game to be an awful performance and a loss. 

The issue is sooner or later someone in her Welsh side of the family is going to take her to a Cardiff game if I don't take her to see City. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I take her to see City and its boring, we lose and she loses interest in City or she goes to watch Cardiff, they win, she enjoys it and then I have a Cardiff City daughter for a fan... it's just not a fun time. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I live in Cardiff and my daughter has been asking me to take her to a football match, this is one of the key reasons I'm holding off, because I don't want her first game to be an awful performance and a loss. 

The issue is sooner or later someone in her Welsh side of the family is going to take her to a Cardiff game if I don't take her to see City. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I take her to see City and its boring, we lose and she loses interest in City or she goes to watch Cardiff, they win, she enjoys it and then I have a Cardiff City daughter for a fan... it's just not a fun time. 

Better to be bored by watching City than putting your daughter up for adoption ?

Cauley Woodrow is out and the Tykes are playing their second choice keeper.  That may help if we step up a bit.

Based on our recent performances though, I would be worried even if they played their womens team.

We need to be more combative, close down more quickly and move forward with pace and verve.

If we start going sideways and backwards or go one down, the crowd with quickly get frustrated.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

motivate shia labeouf GIF

11 minutes ago, RedRobin96 said:

Better to be bored by watching City than putting your daughter up for adoption ?

? Could end up doing both if she sees City as they currently are, she'd probably still end up supporting Cardiff, hence I want the entertaining City back. 

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The omens are bad for today. @havanatopia isn’t coming because it would cost and extra £500 and @Bristol is red , who has a 100% losing record,  is coming. What else can go wrong? 

Woodrow makes a recovery and scores a hat trick? 

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Cauley Woodrow is out and the Tykes are playing their second choice keeper.  That may help if we step up a bit.

Based on our recent performances though, I would be worried even if they played their womens team.

We need to be more combative, close down more quickly and move forward with pace and verve 

Well said Lee but please make it happen for once.

13 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We need to be more combative, close down more quickly and move forward with pace and verve.

If we start going sideways and backwards or go one down, the crowd with quickly get frustrated.

Just tell her what Cardiff fans do to sheep. That might put her off.

Nah, I guess she's a bit to young for that.  A sheepskin coat then?

Sorry, inserted the wrong quote, but you can see i'm referring to Spike.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

Easy...just excommunicate her for life.

Said in (partial) jest!

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Sounds like you think we need a new manager then.

I've made it clear I feel that way, but I've also stated my reasons and said I'd be happy for LJ to stay if we saw more of what we saw earlier in his appointment, when we played good football and looked able to compete, not the current s***show we get week in week out. 

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

I can sympathise. I live in Portugal with a10 year old daughter, whose maternal grandfather is a Porto fan (former coach at the club). So far I have forbidden him to take my daughter to see them as I never got to take her to see the mighty (ahem) City before we left.

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Just tell her what Cardiff fans do to sheep. That might put her off.

Nah, I guess she's a bit to young for that.  A sheepskin coat then?

Sorry, inserted the wrong quote, but you can see i'm referring to Spike.

Cardiff and its people are great, I just think forums can often be misleading. If you judge Cardiff by the fans on their forums you'd think they were all a**holes but the same applies to City fans and these forums. I've had more arguments here than I have with any Cardiff fans, hell I watched our win over Cardiff at a Cardiff City fans house and he gave me a cider after the win :laugh:

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Cardiff and its people are great, I just think forums can often be misleading. If you judge Cardiff by the fans on their forums you'd think they were all a**holes but the same applies to City fans and these forums. I've had more arguments here than I have work any Cardiff fans, hell I even watched our win over Cardiff at a Cardiff City fans house and he gave me a cider after the win :laugh:

Just jesting Spike.  I lived in Wales for 2 years and had the time of my life.  Don't know about the sheep mind ?

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

As long as she sees a few goals she will be happy, whoever scores them. My (17) yr old daughter was quite happy after Brentford even though-at half time she predicted 5 !

42 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The omens are bad for today. @havanatopia isn’t coming because it would cost and extra £500 and @Bristol is red , who has a 100% losing record,  is coming. What else can go wrong? 

If it's on hesgaol then  we are well and truly b******d, as I haven't seen us win on HG this season.

Archived