IGNORED

Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day 28

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Trouble is you look at the bench and wonder what will change. Semenyo rarely makes an impact, Nagy, Moore and Rowe are defensive players, O’Dowda occasionally blows hot and mostly blows cold and Massengo for Brownhill or Smith would be fine but not really chance a lot. I’m tempted by sticking Woolacott up front and seeing what happens...

The Stuart Pearce mantra. 

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

One definition of madness is you keeping doing the same thing and expecting a different result... LJ keeps playing Fammy with Wiemann and they hardly ever link up... Wiemann done very little this half.

Wiemann isn’t playing up top with fam. Looks more of a 4231 with pato in the ten role and our movement looked better for a couple of minutes . Then it just died off 

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

This crap will continue until the end of the season, I don’t see a change until we inevitably miss out on the play offs, if we do finish mid table which I think we will, I think Steve will get rid.

Certainly my suspicion is he has been given a formal target to finish in the play offs and will be judged at the end of the season on that. While it remains feasible he isn’t going anywhere. The problem with that is that they can remain just about feasible for quite some time, while the football continues to bore, the general trend is backwards, and we all have to endure it.

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It’s the basics though, isn’t it? They are doing well with the ball but the major reason their possession stats are so high are because we keep passing to them...

Teams have figured us out. Pass the ball against us and we struggle to deal with it. 

Fair play to the fans today, giving it a good go despite the recent results.

2 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

I don't think we played badly in the first half: better passing compared to other matches and we had some chances...but Tykes were quite dangerous too. If we can be more clinical and keep attention at the back...

How can you think being dominated by Barnsley is OK? They are 3rd from bottom ffs, as per usual we're it not for Bentley we should be 2-0 down. 

We have been pedestrian, hunt has been his usual pub team standard, Brownhill has been bloody awful, Smith puts himself about but once he has the ball he's league 2 standard at the moment, Bentley, Baker, Pato and Fam are the only players who can take any credit from that half. 

First half headlines from my perspective.

Characteristically sloppy from us in the opening exchanges, especially, yet again, giving the ball to the opposition on 3 or 4 occasions. Which a better team might have made more of.

After about 8 minutes we settled down a bit and nearly went ahead from an OG on 10 minutes. Barnsley, were given too much time/space and created a great chance on12 minutes, which Williams blocked. Just a minute later they were again gifted time and space and should have scored, we somehow scrambled it away for a corner.

After 15 minutes we had a finely balanced game, we have had a couple of scares and created a few half-chances of our own.

Jay DS then had a couple of moments to forget, firstly with a poor back pass to Bentley and then getting easily beaten and giving away a corner, which resulted in Barnsley having a chance which was cleared off the line by AW.

On 26 minutes NE sent in a great right footed cross which was headed wide by Fammy.

After 30 minutes we still have a finely balanced game, although in terms of clear goal scoring opportunities I think Barnsley have edged ahead. Also most of their balls forward are incisive and causing us more trouble than our balls forward, which IMO tend to be in the hit-and-hope category. Seems to me that the majority of Hunt’s balls forward are played more in hope than expectation. The exception being a good direct ball from him through to AW on 43 minutes.

My overall observation, is certainly nothing new....IMO our limited forward options have yet again been fundamentally the key problem. Not only does it mean we don’t have much of a goal scoring threat it also means that our build up play is fragmented and littered with errors.

At half time it’s hard to tell which team is in the relegation zone and which has top 6 hopes. Barnsley, as was the case recently against Wigan look much better than their league position suggests.

Ref has been pretty good throughout the half as have section 82!

Need a much better second half from us if we are going to get  anything out of this game.

3 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Was expecting Barnsley to come here and roll over for us to be fair....

So in other words, you’ve set the bar so low, that because we’re not getting “rolled over” at home by a side 22nd in the table, you can claim this as some sort of moral victory for the argument in favour of Johnson staying.

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I brought some Lindt truffles with me and ate three during the first half. Truffle two was my first half highlight, followed by truffle one and then truffle three.

Those were definitely the three best moments of the half.

I ate three truffles and saw us playing a good half. 

Then again I am sat at home on the sofa!!

2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

How can you think being dominated by Barnsley is OK? They are 3rd from bottom ffs, as per usual we're it not for Bentley we should be 2-0 down. 

We have been pedestrian, hunt has been his usual pub team standard, Brownhill has been bloody awful, Smith puts himself about but once he has the ball he's league 2 standard at the moment, Bentley, Baker, Pato and Fam are the only players who can take any credit from that half. 

Tbh whilst I agree with most of what you say, we haven't been pedestrian. There is no lack of effort and we are zipping around. We just haven't got the quality. Lack of quality yes, pedestrian no.

Archived