IGNORED

Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day 28

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You are more confident about that than most. Other teams have made moves, don’t buy into that ‘it’s always difficult in January’ bollocks!

Every player has a price. If we aren’t prepared to pay it move on.

Swansea's loans aside, would you care to list all the signings by Championship clubs?

Alternatively, don't let the facts influence your opinion.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

A win is a win. Surely the result tells us we still have a great opportunity for promotion. It also tells me we're a great opportunity for the right manager to improve performances and get us over the line. 

This. We are so so set up now for a change of management team its so frustrating.. it won’t ever happen as this board have no backbone or bollox.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Genuinely think that was a better performance. We leaked some good chances but had plenty of our own at the other end. 

A good solid win, and unusually this season one that we actually deserved.

Still alot to improve on in the midfield but Dasilva, Fam and Bentley had good games.

Deserved to win? not what the reporter said on Sky sports.

57 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

First half headlines from my perspective.

Characteristically sloppy from us in the opening exchanges, especially, yet again, giving the ball to the opposition on 3 or 4 occasions. Which a better team might have made more of.

After about 8 minutes we settled down a bit and nearly went ahead from an OG on 10 minutes. Barnsley, were given too much time/space and created a great chance on12 minutes, which Williams blocked. Just a minute later they were again gifted time and space and should have scored, we somehow scrambled it away for a corner.

After 15 minutes we had a finely balanced game, we have had a couple of scares and created a few half-chances of our own.

Jay DS then had a couple of moments to forget, firstly with a poor back pass to Bentley and then getting easily beaten and giving away a corner, which resulted in Barnsley having a chance which was cleared off the line by AW.

On 26 minutes NE sent in a great right footed cross which was headed wide by Fammy.

After 30 minutes we still have a finely balanced game, although in terms of clear goal scoring opportunities I think Barnsley have edged ahead. Also most of their balls forward are incisive and causing us more trouble than our balls forward, which IMO tend to be in the hit-and-hope category. Seems to me that the majority of Hunt’s balls forward are played more in hope than expectation. The exception being a good direct ball from him through to AW on 43 minutes.

My overall observation, is certainly nothing new....IMO our limited forward options have yet again been fundamentally the key problem. Not only does it mean we don’t have much of a goal scoring threat it also means that our build up play is fragmented and littered with errors.

At half time it’s hard to tell which team is in the relegation zone and which has top 6 hopes. Barnsley, as was the case recently against Wigan look much better than their league position suggests.

Ref has been pretty good throughout the half as have section 82!

Need a much better second half from us if we are going to get  anything out of this game.

Second half reflections....in the opening ten minutes Barnsley look neat and direct, Chaplin in particular looking dangerous, while City look like they lack belief/confidence. Barnsley create a couple of great chances and should have scored on 56 minutes. NE then has a good chance from 10 yards which he puts over, when under no pressure (which actually proves to be a rehearsal for what happens later).

In a nutshell Barnsley continue to look fluid and we continue to look fragmented!

On 61 minutes Barnsley hit the bar, it really does feel like it’s only a matter of time before we concede.

To their great credit the City fans are continuing to do all they can to lift the team, even though IMO there’s not much from a City perspective to cheer about.

On 70 minutes FD and AW combine well (not something that happens very often) which results in Fammy lofting it into the South Stand from 10 yards. Fammy then tries an overhead kick from a JB long throw.

On 75 minutes I’m thinking this could be a repeat of what happened at Shrewsbury, failing to convert our chances and then conceding late on. Certainly it increasingly feels like whoever breaks the deadlock will win this.

Then the Barnsley captain, Mowatt, strikes one just wide of Dan Bentley’s left hand post and a collective sigh of relief could be heard throughout the crowd. With just 10 minutes left there’s no sign of Barnsley settling for a point and Brown’s shot from the edge of box also flies past Bentley’s left hand post.

LJ decides to introduce CO’D for Pato on 86 minutes.

Then out of nowhere Jay DS beats a couple of players on the left wing and finds NE - in exactly the same spot that he blasted over earlier in the half - this time he tucks it away!

So a crowd of nearly 20,000 go home having witnessed a City win, although certainly not a convincing City performance. Indeed the 600+ travelling fans will be gutted to not come away with at least a point.

My overall impression....as against Wigan a City win, but very much 3 points gained without a great performance....very fine margins! Three points, a home win and for me a feeling of delighted relief.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Genuinely think that was a better performance. We leaked some good chances but had plenty of our own at the other end. 

A good solid win, and unusually this season one that we actually deserved.

Still alot to improve on in the midfield but Dasilva, Fam and Bentley has good games.

Fam did what Fam does . He just isn’t a natural finisher.

Well done to the lads it was hard fought.

Pleased for Eliasson he missed a sitter earlier on so fantastic that he didn’t hide.

Hopefully we can bring in this elusive ‘ finisher ‘ this week and crack on .

Barnsley were worse finishers than us so that tells it’s own story. 

Against a more clinical side we would have been dead and buried.

A welcome three points .

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Level on points with 6th. Really difficult to argue against that, but equally difficult to defend performances. Strange season.

Poor league this year in respect of so many teams are being inconsistent

I appreciate we are level on points but I genuinely don't think we have a hope in hell of making the top 6 come end of the season. We look so poor 

The real frustrating thing is anyone in the top 8-10 is one good run away from flying into that top 6 and hitting the playoffs running 

It just won't be us 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Happy with the result and hopefully it will give us some confidence as it was a pretty poor spectacle in all honesty. Blinding run by Jay for the goal mind.

A win's a win. 

Mum's gone all frisky after that result Son, so by all means stay out till late.

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Poor league this year in respect of so many teams are being inconsistent

I appreciate we are level on points but I genuinely don't think we have a hope in hell of making the top 6 come end of the season. We look so poor 

The real frustrating thing is anyone in the top 8-10 is one good run away from flying into that top 6 and hitting the playoffs running 

It just won't be us 

Bet you're great fun at party's 

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Millwall, Huddersfield, Stoke, Fulham, Barnsley...

I would say Swansea but you don’t want them mentioned as it makes your argument look weak.

You don't name the players as per my question but how many are strikers and of those players who would you have had us sign?

Cavaleiro, who was already at Fulham and who they signed for £15m presumably excluded.

Archived