IGNORED

Ratings from today

old_eastender

Bentley - 7 - one really class save, good handling throughout

Hunt - 6 - Better than in recent games, won most 50-50s he went in for, will always be suspect defensively because of poor positioning

Baker/Williams - 7 - Solid enough, poor distribution as per usual

Dasilva - 8 - Defensively sound, made the goal with a great run

Smith - 7 - Added some bite to the CM, retained possession better than most

Brownhill - 5 - Could have easily forgotten he was on the pitch at times, although hamstrung to a degree by formation

Eliasson - 7 - Not as effective as usual, one quality cross in first half that Fammy headed wide, awful miss in 2nd half but did get the all important goal, hence the 7.

Weimann - 4 - Anonymous performance, bar for once linking up with Fammy to play him in for the chance he blazed over the bar

Paterson - 6 - Worked hard, tried to create but little came off

Fammy - 6 - Put in a shift, some great defensive clearances but miss when he blazed over the bar was as bad as him doing same at Shrews, simply does not score enough of the chances he gets.

I know it’s not at the back, but feels like we signed so many players over the summer and it’s last seasons team, and a bench that  looks incredibly weak. 

Its a win, but the +2 GD most likely a fairer indication of where we are...battling, work hard by and large, but little more than that. Lack any star dust.

15 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hunt - 6 - Better than in recent games, won most 50-50s he went in for, will always be suspect defensively because of poor positioning

Brownhill - 5 - Could have easily forgotten he was on the pitch at times, although hamstrung to a degree by formation

Eliasson - 7 - Not as effective as usual, one quality cross in first half that Fammy headed wide, awful miss in 2nd half but did get the all important goal, hence the 7.

Weimann - 4 - Anonymous performance, bar for once linking up with Fammy to play him in for the chance he blazed over the bar

Fammy - 6 - Put in a shift, some great defensive clearances but miss when he blazed over the bar was as bad as him doing same at Shrews, simply does not score enough of the chances he gets.

All about opinions but way off the mark with Paterson imo. The only player who wanted the ball.

13 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Can’t believe the ratings I’m seeing for Baker, thought he was very good today.

My issue with Baker is we know he can defend but was responsible on several occasions for giving the ball away and allowing Barnsley to break on us. In his defence where Brownhill and Smith were at those times I couldn’t begin to guess.

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No way on Smith. Barnsley were running through our central areas at Will today. You gotta do more than win a few tackles to get a good mark as a CDM.

Think that was more to do with the poor performance of Brownhill to be honest. Smith did his job well today. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Smith was outnumbered and let down by Brownhill. How can he dominate a midfield in his own?

To be fair, first half I thought Smith did what he often does, put himself about but was awful with the ball, second half however I thought he was much better. Agree however that he had no help from Brownhill. 

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Smith was outnumbered and let down by Brownhill. How can he dominate a midfield in his own?

Wasn’t expecting him to dominate midfield. Agree about Brownhill but notwithstanding that Smith didn’t cover the spaces that needed covering (blocking lanes is the LJ speak) and Barnsley were able to run and pass 40-50 yards through the centre of the pitch. But he did win a few tackles hence a 5 not a 4.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Wasn’t expecting him to dominate midfield. Agree about Brownhill but notwithstanding that Smith didn’t cover the spaces that needed covering (blocking lanes is the LJ speak) and Barnsley were able to run and pass 40-50 yards through the centre of the pitch. But he did win a few tackles hence a 5 not a 4.

3 v 1 he ain’t gonna cover all the spaces 

55 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Can’t believe the ratings I’m seeing for Baker, thought he was very good today.

Agree he looked very good today i did have a few worrys pre game as the groin injury and playing against mobile strikers, i enjoyed his clever positioning to block the strikers run off the ball in first half ref and lino missed it striker left curled up in a ball on the floor 

In fairness to Eliasson I thought Barnsley did very well to take him out of the game, on a number of occasions he was in those dangerous positions he often gets in but had no space for any trickery because both their right-back and a centre-back weren't giving him any space down by the corner flag. Just a testament to his ability how he still managed to score the winner nonetheless.

Weimann was probably a 5, he was better than at Wigan. Could have done better with that 1 on 1 with their keeper. Dare I say someone with more pace (Semenyo?) May have got there sooner and made it 1 nil. It’s a tricky one because I think a lot of his work helps fam. Would I drop him no but I probably would have subbed him c60 mins and that may have been the wrong decision.

Another scrappy win but who cares

The midfield was totally overrun today. The two players who could have added any bit of defensive stability were Brownhill and Smith. Both failed miserably so I’d give both a 4. Smith flattered you deceive with a few good bits interspersed with giving the ball away far too often 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

How you’ve got Smith higher than Paterson I’ve no idea! 

Im quick to criticise Paterson (Not for his football ability) so credit where it’s due. I thought he was excellent today, one of the only “footballers” in our team. 

He was always positive, receiving it on the half turn and getting us going in the right direction.

Some of our players should take note - you don’t need to be big and strong to protect the ball and it is possible to receive it under pressure without losing possession!!!!

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I really don't rate Weimann. Does naff all most of the time

‘ Naff all ‘

Other than run his lungs out every game (No half hearted from Weimann) , doing all the pressing , running and chasing back for him And Diedhiou , scoring 9 goals despite being pushed into wide positions a large proportion of time .....

You are right ..........’Naff all’

There was one occasion late on when he covered about 60 yards at sprint pace , on his own to close down 3 Barnsley players one after another  and ended up forcing them to give the ball away w

serious question - do you got to games ? Do you watch what players do off the ball or just follow the ball ?

16 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Whilst I agree,

his work rate Is still amazing, and he has what, 9 goals thus season?

Great header off the line in the first half as well.

Is this serious ?

your first comment followed by your second and third lines - if nothing else , they simply don’t correlate 

We missed chance after chance today. Everyone of our forward players could have had one. But there were two horror misses from Elliason and Fammy. 

two things I take from that is we created more chances this afternoon than the previous six starts put together. 

we got into positions to score. 

Weimann clearly a target on this thread as usual with some. But we know one thing we need a finisher and pray Afobe is back by March. 

Archived