Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Matty_Taylor_is_god

Bad form?

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

10th in the form table, nowhere near as bad as some make out on here. In the mix with 18 games to go, big push now!

A26AB295-4443-46C8-8BBD-D2BED5806BD3.png

yep great points thats the bottom 3 teams nailed.....its going to get harder from now on....is our form up to it?

I think we beat the bottom three teams so nothing to get too excited about. Plus form in all comps is a worse picture. 

If we win our next game I'll start getting enthused though.

Lost three, beaten Luton, Barnsley and Wigan, the current bottom three who we have now played all twice.

Now for sure, got to beat them, and thank heavens we did. Never really looked like a top six side this season, but can only hope form turns.

4 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

10th in the form table, nowhere near as bad as some make out on here. In the mix with 18 games to go, big push now!

. How many times do you need telling it's not just down to results  ( which haven't been great) it's the performances, the tactics ect. .

Play like today for the rest of the season and and we won't be finishing in the top 6. I'm praying that we now go on a cracking run and cement ourselves in those positions. Performances will need to improve though for that to happen.

• Like 1

Your support (Matty taylor is god) is admirable but the 3 wins from 4 have been against the 3 bottom teams two of which have the same points as us combined. In their last 15 games they have between them amassed the sum total of 10 points comprising 2 wins and 4 draws.As positive as 3 wins from 4 sounds brilliant the performances have been awful.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

. How many times do you need telling it's not just down to results  ( which haven't been great) it's the performances, the tactics ect. .

Play like today for the rest of the season and and we won't be finishing in the top 6. I'm praying that we now go on a cracking run and cement ourselves in those positions. Performances will need to improve though for that to happen.

Do you not understand you don’t get bonus points for performances and tactics? All about the results.

what I see is a team that is fighting its way out of a difficult period, the performances you crave will come with confidence 

• Rovers 1

3 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Do you not understand you don’t get bonus points for performances and tactics? All about the results.

what I see is a team that is fighting its way out of a difficult period, the performances you crave will come with confidence 

Play like that all season will we make the play offs? No. So to say the performances dont matter is ridiculously short sighted.

The form table is very misleading this year, with the two top teams miles ahead in quality and the rest of the League all much of a muchness. Earlier in the season we could have gone 3rd on about 4 occasions with other teams in the play-off positions slipping up including us on games we were expected to win, especially those at home

8 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

No but you get season ticket renewals through good performances. Serve that shit up every week and you're playing in front of 20 people.

• Haha 1

I’m sure I must be in a minority’s of one but I quite enjoyed today’s game. End to end football plenty of goalmouth action. City looking to get forward more quickly. Had we been more clinical at a couple of crucial moments the score may have been more tha the solitary goal. Take off your rose tinted specs an try to enjoy the game.

Tbf to Johnson we were playing well and looking good last 15 mins and there was no obvious substitution to make. I was always confident that we would nick a goal.

stay positive with a more clinical CF we have a good chance of top six.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Everything looking rosy now after putting Barnsley in their place.

• Snake 1

23 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Lost three, beaten Luton, Barnsley and Wigan, the current bottom three who we have now played all twice.

Now for sure, got to beat them, and thank heavens we did. Never really looked like a top six side this season, but can only hope form turns.

17 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Your support (Matty taylor is god) is admirable but the 3 wins from 4 have been against the 3 bottom teams two of which have the same points as us combined. In their last 15 games they have between them amassed the sum total of 10 points comprising 2 wins and 4 draws.As positive as 3 wins from 4 sounds brilliant the performances have been awful.

No offence to either of you, but this is what I was writing in another thread when I say some fans will criticise whatever and change their tune to suit the argument.

The last two seasons or so we’ve generally struggled against the bottom teams to get a result - People constantly moaning about us not being able to beat them. Now we’re grinding out wins against bottom teams people are suddenly “well they’re in the bottom 3, big deal” like they expect it and aren’t happy to acknowledge that any 3 points is a good 3 points in this league.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I’m sure I must be in a minority’s of one but I quite enjoyed today’s game. End to end football plenty of goalmouth action. City looking to get forward more quickly. Had we been more clinical at a couple of crucial moments the score may have been more tha the solitary goal. Take off your rose tinted specs an try to enjoy the game.

Tbf to Johnson we were playing well and looking good last 15 mins and there was no obvious substitution to make. I was always confident that we would nick a goal.

It was definitely a good game today in that it was end to end, and I'm surprised it wasn't another 2-2.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

Three league wins from the last four games and zero conceded.

9 points from 12.

Good performances would be nice but its the points that count and the wins will breed confidence which will ultimately lead to better performances.

You can stuff the cracks and paper up yer arse.

Bring on Reading.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's not good though is it? Yes we've won a couple recently but the football is pretty poor in all honesty.

But weirdly some want Warnock 

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

No offence to either of you, but this is what I was writing in another thread when I say some fans will criticise whatever and change their tune to suit the argument.

The last two seasons or so we’ve generally struggled against the bottom teams to get a result - People constantly moaning about us not being able to beat them. Now we’re grinding out wins against bottom teams people aren’t happy to acknowledge that any 3 points is a good 3 points in this league.

Where in my post did I say I wasn't happy with 3 points and a win? I know we've struggled to break teams down but I'm just putting the 3 wins from 4 in perspective with the quality of the opposition together with poor performance as a team.

32 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bizarre. If the season ended today we would be almost there so on what basis do you think that if we continue to play like this we wont make the play offs?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Bizarre. If the season ended today we would be almost there so on what basis do you think that if we continue to play like this we wont make the play offs?

If I want to be pedantic because we arn't there now? It would mean we would need an improvement. A win and everything rosy for you now? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Where in my post did I say I wasn't happy with 3 points and a win? I know we've struggled to break teams down but I'm just putting the 3 wins from 4 in perspective with the quality of the opposition together with poor performance as a team.

Well your detailed post about the apparent lack of threat/quality from the opposition gives no credit to us getting wins against teams that we have previously struggled to win against.

A win is a win is this league, anyone can be anyone, regardless of position or form. We’ve seen that time and again. 

When I read “bad form” as the thread title I thought we’d be talking Leeds....1 win in 7?!

Edited by Alessandro

20 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

People getting upset that our current form

doesn't fit their agenda

Once again it appears the nuance of the debate is beyond you, and you resort to dim witted comments like this.

The concern is performances. At the risk of sounding full SOD, performances also matter - not just results. Get the performance right and more often than not you will win, and over a 46 game season you will get what you get what you deserve. Perform poorly and you will still occasionally win, but over a 46 game season you won’t achieve anything.

At the moment our performances appear sufficient only to beat the bottom three teams, who rather conveniently are all included in the most recent six results you have referenced in your form table. That doesn’t do much to suggest we will perform well enough for the together challenges to come over the next 18 games, all of which are against higher placed teams.

That’s not an “agenda” by the way - just a considered opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Bear in mind we slipped to here, not fought    Our way up

We have played Wigan away 2-0 and Bernsley home 1-0. Two clean sheets and six points. Both team are in the bottom of the table, we won our latest games. Think its important and well done. In this leauge every team is hard to beat so Im positive. Todays and the Wigan game either team could have won, we won both and Im thinks its great. COYR!!!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Bear in mind we slipped to here, not fought    Our way up

Not meaning to sound pedantic but that can't be right as we've won our last 2. We must have been lower before the Wigan game?

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not meaning to sound pedantic but that can't be right as we've won our last 2. We must have been lower before the Wigan game?

I meant in general, I appreciate you can nip up or down a spot from week to week.

My point is we slide away from genuine automatic candidates, and our progress is then defined by how bad the slide was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

100% with you on this Geoff. 
Thoroughly entertaining game today. 
We won, and the game was value for money. 
Is that not what people want? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I think we beat the bottom three teams so nothing to get too excited about. Plus form in all comps is a worse picture. 

The 3 teams we failed to beat in the reverse fixtures earlier this season....and usually the positions of teams we don’t beat.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Once again it appears the nuance of the debate is beyond you, and you resort to dim witted comments like this.

The concern is performances. At the risk of sounding full SOD, performances also matter - not just results. Get the performance right and more often than not you will win, and over a 46 game season you will get what you get what you deserve. Perform poorly and you will still occasionally win, but over a 46 game season you won’t achieve anything.

At the moment our performances appear sufficient only to beat the bottom three teams, who rather conveniently are all included in the most recent six results you have referenced in your form table. That doesn’t do much to suggest we will perform well enough for the together challenges to come over the next 18 games, all of which are against higher placed teams.

That’s not an “agenda” by the way - just a considered opinion.

Our performances haven't dipped they have been like this all season and we are joint 6th.

Its an interesting dynamic because anyone can use it however they want. If the performances don't improve then it will be harder to watch but if we get into the playoffs then how shit is the football in this league? /it's working so why change it? 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The 3 teams we failed to beat in the reverse fixtures earlier this season....and usually the positions of teams we don’t beat.

You seem to be using two negatives to argue a positive! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

You seem to be using two negatives to argue a positive! 

Shhhhhh.  In maths a negative x negative = positive.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

It wasn’t a classic BUT it was end to end (albeit Barnsley bossed possession) and we could have scored a good five goals (they could have had 4) so it was definitely a big improvement on recent home games in terms of entertainment. But we can’t be so open in Centre Midfield against better teams, just put that down to a bad day for Smith and Brownhill in particular.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Shhhhhh.  In maths a negative x negative = positive.

You win!

I tell you what, if we beat Reading and draw at QPR, I'll say we're in good form and challenging for that 6th place.

Hope it happens!

• Like 2

I think we are very much a confidence team. 

Go back to christmas last season I think it was the Brentford game we were coming off a poor run and we were poor our football was dour, confidence was probably gone and we drew 1-1.

Johnson went back to basics. Went defensive, went back to basics not to concede. We then picked up a couple of wins a 1-0 against 9 men Rotherham comes to mind and slowly our confidence grew and our football became better and better.

This season again we have gone on a poor run confidence is shot and we’ve gone defensive our league results have improved during the last couple  of weeks with 3 wins from 4 however it has been against the bottom 3 teams, hopefully we will go on a bit of a bit of a run confidence will improve and our football will get better,  more expansive and entertaining once our confidence improves.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mozo said:

You do realise that the majority of the rest of our points came against other teams, yeah..?! 

8 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

If I want to be pedantic because we arn't there now? It would mean we would need an improvement. A win and everything rosy for you now? 

I'll be pedantic too in that case and point out that I said we are almost there. By almost there I ment we are almost in the play offs, being pedantic again I'd say we are only out of the play offs by GD. 

We don't really need much of an improvement to get into the play offs a extra +7 GD over the 28 games we have played so far would see us in them.

I am still very angry about being knocked out of the cup, a win today was very welcome but my views on LJ and Baker have not changed. All is not forgiven. If LJ thinks it is after a 1 nil win at home to lowly Barnsley then he is sadly very wrong.

I'm probably even angrier that the players couldn't beat a League One side with the prize of playing Liverpool on offer yet they could beat Championship Barnsley with the prize of a few days off and most likely a mini break on offer...

9 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

We are not playing as well as we should be. The wins are coming against clubs near the bottom of the table. The question is are we good enough ? Unless something drastic changes a spot in play offs at the end of the season would be unlikely 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Strangely , taking off the City specs, it was entertaining for a low scoring match . 

Both teams were going for it and most of the opportunities came about through the numerous mistakes, understandable given the importance of the game .

However the finishing was atrocious from both sides and highlighted why both are in the relegation spots . 

:whistle2:

7 hours ago, Red Army 79 said:

I think we are very much a confidence team. 

Go back to christmas last season I think it was the Brentford game we were coming off a poor run and we were poor our football was dour, confidence was probably gone and we drew 1-1.

Johnson went back to basics. Went defensive, went back to basics not to concede. We then picked up a couple of wins a 1-0 against 9 men Rotherham comes to mind and slowly our confidence grew and our football became better and better.

This season again we have gone on a poor run confidence is shot and we’ve gone defensive our league results have improved during the last couple  of weeks with 3 wins from 4 however it has been against the bottom 3 teams, hopefully we will go on a bit of a bit of a run confidence will improve and our football will get better,  more expansive and entertaining once our confidence improves.

As I have written on here before, we were in the top six , threatening the top two , when we were playing pragmatic football with just one attacker, mostly down to injuries and necessity.

It went fruit shaped when we started to believe the hype surrounding our club and thought that playing pretty expansive football was more in keeping with our ‘ reputation ‘ .

We simply don’t have the quality of player to do that  with too many very talented youngsters on the upward curve or others who are playing at the highest level they can attain on a regular basis without having enough quality to make the Prem , like Baker , Famaral or Weimann , ( all top pros but would they get into a top two Championship team as nailed on starters ? ) 

Of our current squad I can only see Dasilva, Bentley, Eliasson , Kalas getting regular game time in the Prem . 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Quite agree.  Not vintage football, but both teams tried hard all game, showed some skilful flashes, had mistakes in them and left their shooting boots at home. In the end we won, but had we not, I would have been entertained.

I have come to the conclusion another manager could get more from this group of players, but if we don't I will be happy with games like this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Love this! Three wins against the three teams in the relegation zone... literally the worse three teams in the league!

Forget the diabolical defeat to Brentford, or the run of 5 losses in 6, 6 losses in 9, prior to playing the worse teams in the league. Not to mention the Shrewsbury games!

I guess the last couple of performances have been acceptable as well. Tell Lansdown to put the cheque book away and delete Hughton’s number as all is good!

14 hours ago, Alessandro said:

The last two seasons or so we’ve generally struggled against the bottom teams to get a result - People constantly moaning about us not being able to beat them. Now we’re grinding out wins against bottom teams people are suddenly “well they’re in the bottom 3, big deal” like they expect it and aren’t happy to acknowledge that any 3 points is a good 3 points in this league.

So true

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You do realise that the majority of the rest of our points came against other teams, yeah..?! 

Exactly, and prior to Luton we were 10th. So before these 3 easier fixtures (ignore Brentford), we were underachieving. 

16 hours ago, Harry said:

3 league wins in the last 4. With 3 clean sheets. 

Which is also 3 wins in the last 10 games with one of the worst defensive records in The Championship.

16 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I’m no LJ supporter by any means but I have to agree with this.

You can only beat what’s in front of you and it’s definitely not easy to beat teams that are fighting for survival. 

We know anyone can beat anyone in this league so 3 points is always tough to get regardless of the opposition.

Edited by Kibs
  • Thanks 1