IGNORED

You've got to say

southvillekiddy

58 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I thought you began by making a comment about otib to which I responded. 

As regards the football, I think you've forgotten Shrewsbury and all that meant apart from the game itself.

Some of us aren't happy with being a decent sized Club in the only major city in england that is yet to achieve Premiership football and seem unlikely to with the present set-up. (ie manager and owner) That's been the pattern in the last few years - fading away after christmas and then selling our disenchanted best players.

Or (recently, under LJ) consistently over achieving, based on our support, turnover and history..?

22 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The most expensively assembled City team of all time but no where near the best team to watch.

So many people happy paying to watch crap and accept it because you win the odd scrappy game.

The table looks more than acceptable but the stadium is half empty. The current brand of Johnson's football is boring and i think putting people off. 

Season ticket holder didnt bother today as you said its crap to watch

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Our "supporters" are toxic at the moment. It's horrible to read and be around. I think it's all around personal ego. Forum members have dug their hole with LJ and nobody is going to backtrack now.  It's embarrassing to watch really. 

Anyway, great win today lads. Well done Lee, joint 6th. 

Fuelled by the continual labelling and using the ‘agenda’ horseshit etc

Fuelled by the tit for tat threads by pro or anti LJ posters and over the top crirticism without explanation on one side and the cringeworthy blind defence of everything and anything LJ does on the other side 

I’m no angel , but You are one of the fuellers , so I wouldn’t be surprised or complain about toxicity tbh

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Different times

With Darren Byfield leading our goal hunting........

GJ had us punching way above our weight with the resources he had available

Quite remarkable in many ways 

Was it Darren Byfield who came on in injury time at Watford to score the winner with his only touch. 

What a way to win away.

For sure we punch above our weight.

8 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

TBF in our most successful season this century the football wasn't exactly exciting - nail biting but not exciting. We got to the playoff final by winning lots of games by a one goal margin from what I can remember. I seem to remember spending most games willing the ref to blow his whistle as we sat deeper and deeper protecting a narrow lead.

So are you telling me city have never been good to watch .... 

What's the condition called where the abused falls in love with their abuser?

1 minute ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Was it Darren Byfield who came on in injury time at Watford to score the winner with his only touch. 

What a way to win away.

Late winning goals are rarely as bitter sweet as this however at Newcastle today...

https://mobile.twitter.com/greener_josh/status/1218616460437852162?s=19

3 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

What a way to win away.

I remember him getting a last kick winner in a 4-3 home win over , ironically Barnsley

When you look at that side and work out how much most of them cost , if anything , he and the players did magnificently well that season 

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

So are you telling me city have never been good to watch .... 

What's the condition called where the abused falls in love with their abuser?

Not at all I just saying the season we did make the play offs wasn't always great to watch - I was on the edge of my seat through nervousness rather than excitement.

Enjoyable all the same.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The one player I’d be keeping an eye on as a Premier League Club Andy , Bentley Possibly the other 

Has the potential to step up there IMHO

Amazingly quick feet and reasonable end product - not there yet but I can see it

Think he’d look better with better players too

Quite incredible what Eliasson produces when you consider how few times in a game when we get the ball to him in that wide advanced position.

When he has the fullback faced up he needs so little space to make an angle for a cross, then his delivery is a joy to watch.

Weather he makes the step up remains to be seen, but I haven't seen a player in the premier league that can better him in that skill.

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Or (recently, under LJ) consistently over achieving, based on our support, turnover and history..?

That's what I find most perplexing. Some of our fans, maybe the majority of them seem content for our club to potter along.

Our history :

The club's highest ever league finish was second in the top flight in 1906–07. They were FA Cup runners-up in 1909, and won the Welsh Cup in 1934 despite being an English team. The club have also won the second tier title once, the third tier title four times, the Anglo-Scottish Cup once, and the Football League Trophy a record three times. Achieved First division football 1976 - 80 with Harry Dolman and AD.

In recent-ish times we have had only one notable manager (AD) (IMHO). Seems a long time ago now. Wonder how long it will be before another AD pops up?

So we are massive underachievers for a Club in the 6th largest city in England. We have a billionaire owner, who in 18 years as chairman/owner has failed to achieve the Premiership.

We are one of only 4 Clubs out of 24 currently in Championship who played in the first Division but have never played in the Premiership. Millwall Brentford and Preston being the others.

Just consider the demographic 

Napoleon favoured lucky generals over so called competant generals and was pretty successful until Waterloo! Perhaps Lee is a lucky one! Considering the opinions of alot of people that we have been crap to watch this season, apart from a few games, and we are level on points with 6th place,  imagine if we start to fire as a team and start to score and run over our competition? we could make a good run for promotion, btw I am drunk but this does seem to make some sense!

5 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Napoleon favoured lucky generals over so called competant generals and was pretty successful until Waterloo! Perhaps Lee is a lucky one! Considering the opinions of alot of people that we have been crap to watch this season, apart from a few games, and we are level on points with 6th place,  imagine if we start to fire as a team and start to score and run over our competition? we could make a good run for promotion, btw I am drunk but this does seem to make some sense!

Here's to being drunk mate. Never been there myself, but  I am such a liar.

45 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

That's what I find most perplexing. Some of our fans, maybe the majority of them seem content for our club to potter along.

Our history :

The club's highest ever league finish was second in the top flight in 1906–07. They were FA Cup runners-up in 1909, and won the Welsh Cup in 1934 despite being an English team. The club have also won the second tier title once, the third tier title four times, the Anglo-Scottish Cup once, and the Football League Trophy a record three times. Achieved First division football 1976 - 80 with Harry Dolman and AD.

In recent-ish times we have had only one notable manager (AD) (IMHO). Seems a long time ago now. Wonder how long it will be before another AD pops up?

So we are massive underachievers for a Club in the 6th largest city in England. We have a billionaire owner, who in 18 years as chairman/owner has failed to achieve the Premiership.

We are one of only 4 Clubs out of 24 currently in Championship who played in the first Division but have never played in the Premiership. Millwall Brentford and Preston being the others.

Just consider the demographic 

All fairly irrelivent I’d say. In the 30 years I’ve supported City, this is the best consistent period we’ve had. Why change that until we are clearly falling short of it, which we aren’t..? 

You've got to say well done to the LJ and the team. We did to Barnsley what Shrewsbury did to us, we stayed in the game long enough for that one bit of quality. That was the difference.

Barnsley were the better side and unlike Milwall and Blackburn who did a job on us, they continued their high pressing style throughout the game and with fatigue inevitably creeping in, the one time Dasilva got down the wing created the one moment of quality.

The team were more aggressive 2nd half and tried to break up their play. They put in a shift, it wasn't pretty at times so well done.

Barnsley's new style will cause teams a lot of problems from now until the end of the season.

What really concerns me is the lack of identity. Maybe that's the players at his disposal but this isn't the Bristol City that gave the Manchester clubs a fright.

That's my concern.

The worrying thing for me is that we still have no identity and rely on individual brilliance to see us through. 

By individual brilliance I basically mean Niclas.

Today, Jay stepped up. 

The fact that we're still bottom of the XG speaks volumes. Even today, if Barnsley could hit a barn door, we lose today. 

Must. Improve. 

I have been a firm Johnson Outer for a while [purely on the fact that the football is dull]. However it is a results business and whether though luck or not we are in with a huge shout of the playoffs still. The one thing that gives med hope is that 2 years ago Lee proved he can get us to play great football and get results at the same time. We may be playing awful but we are joint points with 6th and if we can get that extra player this window or the players can take the confidence of 3 wins out of 4 and push on then it could be a very exciting end to the season. Imagine being in with a shout with 5 games to go and then having Afobe come back... could be a very different atmosphere then!

A boxer can get pummeled for 9 rounds but if he just stays in with a shout long enough for his opponent to let down his guard it only takes 1 punch for him to win the bout. Does anyone really think Lee is going in that dressing room after the game today and moaning that it was shit to watch? No he would be saying great job lads stuck in there long enough and come away with the win same again next game please.

We also are for once doing something that we have not been able to do for a long time which is beat the teams we should be beating. we can all say 3 wins out of 4 but look who were playing. However the last few years these are the teams we would be dropping points against.

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

The worrying thing for me is that we still have no identity and rely on individual brilliance to see us through. 

By individual brilliance I basically mean Niclas.

Today, Jay stepped up. 

The fact that we're still bottom of the XG speaks volumes. Even today, if Barnsley could hit a barn door, we lose today. 

Must. Improve. 

The worrying thing for me is someone takes that lucky horseshoe outa' the back of Bentley's net...

How the '**** do Barnsley not beat us today ??....I know,,I know,,they didn't score but again we get away with it.

#paperingoverthecracks

11 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Okay mate. I could say a hundred times that with what Johnson has had to spend we should be in the top 3 this season in what turns out to have been a surprisingly poor quality Championship League this year by comparison to most others. I actually don't blame him too much. I blame Lansdown for yet again appointing an underwhelming manager unqualified to take us to the Premiership.

Nigel Pearson was available and interested in coming to us when Johnson was appointed. Do I need to say more?

I have to take issue with "with what Johnson has had to spend." without considering what has been lost in terms of cash and outgoing players.

For 2019, as per http://priceoffootball.com/bristol-city-2018-19-empty-skies/

Player signings £10.2 million

Player sales £39.7 million

So a net spend on the squad of almost minus 30m.

To add to this, most of the money has been spent not on improving the squad, but retaining the Chelsea guys from the previous season.

In addition, two of these have been out for most of the season thus far.

I'm sure there were "Johnson Out" demands during the Flint/Reid era. What sort of ambitious manager do you think we would have got with the brief of...............

"Over the next two seasons, we want you to sell your 5 best players and produce a 30m transfer profit. Oh, and promotion would be nice as well."

I think the above shows why LJ is respected within the game and considered to be doing a good job under the circumstances.

On your statement "Nigel Pearson was available and interested in coming to us when Johnson was appointed. Do I need to say more?"

If the Mirror is to be believed, "Bristol City have made Nigel Pearson their top target to replace Steve Cotterill." - He wasn't that interested in the reality.

I fully agree the football is dire to watch, with so many players providing inconsistent and disappointing performances.

However, of course I hoped for more, but our actual League position isn't bad at all considering the circumstances. I'm sure the fans of the teams that are there, as well as the "Ambitious" ex Prem clubs near the bottom of the table consider they should be Top 3 as well.

When Flint and Co went, I thought there could be a chance of a relegation battle. I now feel we are an established Championship side that is more likely to leave this division via the top, rather than the bottom of the table.

Having watched the ups and downs City since the 60's, including their (and others) spectacular freefall, I consider this progress and fully support the "Sustainability" route, if not the boring football.

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The one player I’d be keeping an eye on as a Premier League Club Andy , Bentley Possibly the other 

Has the potential to step up there IMHO

Amazingly quick feet and reasonable end product - not there yet but I can see it

Think he’d look better with better players too

Yeah fair point. He certainly has the potential and as you rightly said, has extremely quick feet 

Would be interesting to see how he may progress under a better coaching set up 

5 hours ago, MJP3 said:

I have to take issue with "with what Johnson has had to spend." without considering what has been lost in terms of cash and outgoing players.

For 2019, as per http://priceoffootball.com/bristol-city-2018-19-empty-skies/

Player signings £10.2 million

Player sales £39.7 million

So a net spend on the squad of almost minus 30m.

To add to this, most of the money has been spent not on improving the squad, but retaining the Chelsea guys from the previous season.

In addition, two of these have been out for most of the season thus far.

I'm sure there were "Johnson Out" demands during the Flint/Reid era. What sort of ambitious manager do you think we would have got with the brief of...............

"Over the next two seasons, we want you to sell your 5 best players and produce a 30m transfer profit. Oh, and promotion would be nice as well."

I think the above shows why LJ is respected within the game and considered to be doing a good job under the circumstances.

On your statement "Nigel Pearson was available and interested in coming to us when Johnson was appointed. Do I need to say more?"

If the Mirror is to be believed, "Bristol City have made Nigel Pearson their top target to replace Steve Cotterill." - He wasn't that interested in the reality.

I fully agree the football is dire to watch, with so many players providing inconsistent and disappointing performances.

However, of course I hoped for more, but our actual League position isn't bad at all considering the circumstances. I'm sure the fans of the teams that are there, as well as the "Ambitious" ex Prem clubs near the bottom of the table consider they should be Top 3 as well.

When Flint and Co went, I thought there could be a chance of a relegation battle. I now feel we are an established Championship side that is more likely to leave this division via the top, rather than the bottom of the table.

Having watched the ups and downs City since the 60's, including their (and others) spectacular freefall, I consider this progress and fully support the "Sustainability" route, if not the boring football.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to the points in my post mate. As regards Pearson I don't believe the Mirror is really an accurate source do you? What I remember is Pearson being on TV and responding to speculation about him coming to us. He said words to the effect that Bristol was a major city and BCFC therefore had enormous potential. To me this was more than just opening the door for us to consider him as a potential new manager at Ashton Gate. As far as I am aware he was never invited. What I also clearly remember after Johnson's appointment was Ashton or Lansdown coming out with the ****ocks that "Lee Johnson was the outstanding candidate in a distinguished field of applicants". (This in itself is an anachronistic scenario ie. appications, shortlists, interviews etc.. football clubs with ambition do their homework and then go after the one person they believe will do the job and sell their Club and it's ambitions so as to persuade them to come) I hope it is clear that my argument is not per se about Johnson but in Lansdown's refusal/reluctance to risk his dictatorial position in hiring an internationally acknowledged manager who can get us Premiership football. I notice that you only quote the figures for this season but I thought it was obvious that I was referring to Johnson's total spend during his tenure with 60 odd signings. If you look above I refer to the Leeds/Bielsa situation, where Leeds United had the guts to go for a controversial but internationally acknowledged manager. Look what he has done in two seasons and I am sure he has spent far less than Johnson.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

So my point remains - if he genuinely wants Premiership football, why is our owner against/frightened/whatever to sign a manager of international quality like Bielsa?

17 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Johnson, the little git, is a lucky sod.

If nothing else comes of today I hope Niclas will decide to stay with us.

Hey Ho.

I'm truly sorry if some of you took offence at what was a tongue-in-cheek remark about Lee Johnson but he was fortunate yesterday wasn't he? I would also ask you if any of you have not made a remark such as "You little bugger" said in an affectionate way to someone you know, maybe even to a relative or friend?

17 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Im absolutely gutted to have a manager that has improved us season after season and has us currently level on points with 6th

Any comment on the entertainment value at home over the season? And the season before that? 

11 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Not that many empty seats today.

20200118_145956.jpg

I've just finished season 1 of The Man In The High Castle (Amazon Prime). It's about how USA was carved up by the Japanese and Hitler had they won WW2. Superb thriller/drama. 

I must get out more because when I saw the above photo I thought it was the Nazi flag from the series!

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm truly sorry if some of you took offence at what was a tongue-in-cheek remark about Lee Johnson but he was fortunate yesterday wasn't he? I would also ask you if any of you have not made a remark such as "You little bugger" said in an affectionate way to someone you know, maybe even to a relative or friend?

Affection doesn't come across in type though, and with some of the name calling Johnson is getting right now, its not surprising people didn't take it as you meant.

I don't particularly think LJ was lucky. Barnsley were pretty poor in the final third, missing one sitter, but we hit the woodwork twice and Fam missed a couple of good chances.

If we were lucky because Barnsley didn't take their chances, why is the fact we didn't take chances part of the argument?...unless you want to focus on the negatives...because you are that against LJ...

Archived