IGNORED

Right I’m quick enough to come on here and moan so......

BCFC1512

Credit where it’s due today. Thought we played well and actually deserved more goals. But have to say fair play to Johnson today (yes you’ve read that right) at 0-0 60-70 mins he could of panicked and made 3 pointless subs but you stayed patient and got the deserved reward!!

UP THE CITY!

I agree. I think a draw would have been a fair result, and both teams had the chances to win it. I actually really enjoyed the game today and thought Barnsley looked better than their league position.

i am not a fan of Johnson, but that is 3 wins in 4 in the league now. And while some will point at the quality of the opposition in those games, the frequent criticism is that we cannot bet the poor teams at home. there are no easy games in this league and surprises are thrown up all the time. 
hopefully we’re now on the start of one of Johnson’s long winning streaks 

Just now, city1983 said:

I agree. I think a draw would have been a fair result, and both teams had the chances to win it. I actually really enjoyed the game today and thought Barnsley looked better than their league position.

i am not a fan of Johnson, but that is 3 wins in 4 in the league now. And while some will point at the quality of the opposition in those games, the frequent criticism is that we cannot bet the poor teams at home. there are no easy games in this league and surprises are thrown up all the time. 
hopefully we’re now on the start of one of Johnson’s long winning streaks 

I could have written this myself. And there I was thinking I was the only person that enjoyed today’s game. Well said, sir.

I dont think we played well at all. Very disjointed. Passes were poor, and we were really bad at winning the second balls but appreciate people see things differently. 

Thought Barnsley were poor too but they did counter well and create chances (but were as bad as we are at finishing them). 

I'm really pleased for the 3 points though. Thought it was going to end 0-0 so very happy with the result and fair play to the lads reactions - you could see it meant a hell of alot. Fair play to Lee too. He takes a lot of stick on here (and some of it justified - when it's not personal), so I'm pleased he's got a result today. 

More than most though, I hope this helps to build the players confidence and belief which feels like it's been lacking recently.

2 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Funny thing happened on my way out, I overheard a conversation that went "what's the point of making a substitution with just 5 minutes to go? ...........I mean I know it worked today but"....

Made I larf ?

I criticised the sub at the time. I thought that Paterson is a player with the potential to just have that one moment of magic, and I don’t think that O’Dowda is an impact sub. But I think having odowda on that wing gave dasilva more freedom to bomb forward and create the winner. 
I guess for every disastrous decision like to not bring on a cb against Brentford, he gets it right sometimes too ?

12 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Credit where it’s due today. Thought we played well and actually deserved more goals. But have to say fair play to Johnson today (yes you’ve read that right) at 0-0 60-70 mins he could of panicked and made 3 pointless subs but you stayed patient and got the deserved reward!!

UP THE CITY!

I’m gonna be really harsh here, and say he was bricking making a sub.  We never had control of the game at any point and he must’ve looked around at the subs bench (he selected) and thought if I make a sub now and we lose I’m stuffed....so he just dithered and dithered, eventually bringing on O’Dowda with 5 minutes to go when he thought it couldn’t impact one way or the other.  I know he says he always goes out to win (on BBCRB he said the same), but I think it was placebo of a sub.

4 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I criticised the sub at the time. I thought that Paterson is a player with the potential to just have that one moment of magic, and I don’t think that O’Dowda is an impact sub. But I think having odowda on that wing gave dasilva more freedom to bomb forward and create the winner. 
I guess for every disastrous decision like to not bring on a cb against Brentford, he gets it right sometimes too ?

I really don’t think the sub made any difference tactically.  Pato was knackered.  If there was a positive it was that he still had a sub to use that late on for fitness reasons, so often he has used them (because he’s had to tactically) earlier on. ???

Delighted with the win though.

A win is a win but odd to come here after that and praise LJ. We lacked control throughout and only poor finishing by both sides meant the game stayed 0-0. 

Only thing you can say is that Barnsley had only lost 1 in 7 before today so clearly a much improved team since we last played them. So perhaps taking that into consideration it was a better win than in looks on paper. 

19 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

UP THE CITY!

Thought it was alright today.

Ivenoe realised the midfield is our problem.

Not sure how Johnson changes it.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really don’t think the sub made any difference tactically.  Pato was knackered.  If there was a positive it was that he still had a sub to use that late on for fitness reasons, so often he has used them (because he’s had to tactically) earlier on. ???

Delighted with the win though.

But it made a massive difference tactically- surely that was obvious? O'Dowda dragged the  cover inside, and JD made the only attacking run he did all game.  How can that not be related??

10 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Thought it was alright today.

Ivenoe realised the midfield is our problem.

Not sure how Johnson changes it.

The problem is (and midfield is the main area, but not the only one), people assumed when we brought new players in we were upgrading. 

The reality is, that bar one or two odd performances  (and i'm talking at this stage in their development - it may change) Paterson is a much better player than Palmer/Szmodics, and despite early promise  Nagy hasnt been an upgrade on Pack (though I accept hes been injured) And Korey still isnt properly fit.  I guess the lesson is that maybe the grass isnt always greener and people ought to maybe appreciate the level of player we have for the size of club we are.

15 minutes ago, jonb said:

The problem is (and midfield is the main area, but not the only one), people assumed when we brought new players in we were upgrading. 

The reality is, that bar one or two odd performances  (and i'm talking at this stage in their development - it may change) Paterson is a much better player than Palmer/Szmodics, and despite early promise  Nagy hasnt been an upgrade on Pack (though I accept hes been injured) And Korey still isnt properly fit.  I guess the lesson is that maybe the grass isnt always greener and people ought to maybe appreciate the level of player we have for the size of club we are.

Paterson’s challenge is to put that shift in 7 or 8 games out of 10!!

31 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

A win is a win but odd to come here after that and praise LJ. We lacked control throughout and only poor finishing by both sides meant the game stayed 0-0. 

Only thing you can say is that Barnsley had only lost 1 in 7 before today so clearly a much improved team since we last played them. So perhaps taking that into consideration it was a better win than in looks on paper. 

Good post m8... far from pleasing on the eye but 3pts.... hopefully we bring in key players for reading game and bed them in to our net work and push on..... 

15 minutes ago, jonb said:

But it made a massive difference tactically- surely that was obvious? O'Dowda dragged the  cover inside, and JD made the only attacking run he did all game.  How can that not be related??

Because I’m saying it wasn’t tactical, just a passage of play, not pre-set, not a plan, etc....it just played out that way.  It was a like for like sub in effect, one side player for another.  Did you hear the boo’s when Callum went inside and then knocked it back to Baker.  I’m the first one to give credit for a bit “tactical masterclass”, but I genuinely do not think O’Dowda made the difference, could’ve been Eliasson or Paterson doing exactly the same, they both drove infield from wide several times in the game.

Great, that’s his the move played out and ended with a goal. 

If anything deserves credit, it’s the tweak to 442 from 4141 for those 5 minutes, meaning Weimann is in the box (rather than RW like he’d been for 85 mins) attacking the post, whilst Fam is trying to get in the box, otherwise we’d have no one to take the CBs out of their position, ultimately leaving Nic free at the far post to score.  More consequential than tactical.  If so, why not switch it earlier?

But I’m happy to agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because I’m saying it wasn’t tactical, just a passage of play, not pre-set, not a plan, etc....it just played out that way.  It was a like for like sub in effect, one side player for another.  Did you hear the boo’s when Callum went inside and then knocked it back to Baker.  I’m the first one to give credit for a bit “tactical masterclass”, but I genuinely do not think O’Dowda made the difference, could’ve been Eliasson or Paterson doing exactly the same, they both drove infield from wide several times in the game.

Great, that’s his the move played out and ended with a goal. 

If anything deserves credit, it’s the tweak to 442 from 4141 for those 5 minutes, meaning Weimann is in the box (rather than RW like he’d been for 85 mins) attacking the post, whilst Fam is trying to get in the box, otherwise we’d have no one to take the CBs out of their position, ultimately leaving Nic free at the far post to score.  More consequential than tactical.  If so, why not switch it earlier?

But I’m happy to agree to disagree.

We will have to agree to disagree, because that's clearly having your cake and eating it. Putting a man on to drag his man inside, it working and then saying  'it's just a passage of play' is massively disingenuous.  In other words, it could have been Eliasson or Paterson - but it wasn't,  because that's what o' dowda was put on to do.

I’m no tactician but did everyone else think we were exposed down the middle too often?

Josh seems to struggle to affect a game at the moment - you could see Korey’s frustration at times as he wanted to move it forward.

It seems we rarely create chances except via the wings - I know he has had poor games but surely Palmer needs to be given a few games before we cast him into oblivion?

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

Fair play taunton the bottom line is everyone on this forum loves the city and we all want the same thing so maybe we can all  me included quit the bellyaching and roar this fantastic football club to where we all want it to be lets all get behind lee and whoever is selected to play for the mighty reds

I bet Miah doesn't, especially tonight ! :clap:

14 minutes ago, jonb said:

We will have to agree to disagree, because that's clearly having your cake and eating it. Putting a man on to drag his man inside, it working and then saying  'it's just a passage of play' is massively disingenuous.  In other words, it could have been Eliasson or Paterson - but it wasn't,  because that's what o' dowda was put on to do.

One final question then I’ll drop it.  Do you think he brought on a winger (O’Dowda) in the last 5 minutes to specifically drag his man inside to create room for Dasilva?  If so, why wasn’t he instructing Eliasson and Paterson to do the same it the other 86 minutes?

I cant tell you.  But by your logic, you'd never make a substitution,  or if you did, you'd tell him to do exactly the same as the bloke he was taking off - and I think we both know that doesn't happen.  The reality is, people consistently moan o'dowda is a workhorse, or doesn't go outside his man.  But when he does something that plays to his strengths  (energy, dragging people across, as opposed to touch play, or trying to go outside), I'm supposed to give no credit to the bloke that got him to do that.  I think I get it.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One final question then I’ll drop it.  Do you think he brought on a winger (O’Dowda) in the last 5 minutes to specifically drag his man inside to create room for Dasilva?  If so, why wasn’t he instructing Eliasson and Paterson to do the same it the other 86 minutes?

Paterson continually came inside ofter playing behind fam 

Archived