IGNORED

LJ challenging SL ?

Major Isewater

In today’s Post 

‘ 'Depends what your ambition is' - Lee Johnson outlines Bristol City's position in the transfer window ‘

Clearly spelling out to SL that we will not get promoted without spending the necessary.

Added a little swipe at M. Ashton before explaining how difficult the January market is.

For all those calling LJ a ‘ Yes man ‘ , Shut up . 

I believe he’s toughening up as he réalisés that his job is on the line.

I believe it will be a very interesting end to this season . 

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In today’s Post 

‘ 'Depends what your ambition is' - Lee Johnson outlines Bristol City's position in the transfer window ‘

Clearly spelling out to SL that we will not get promoted without spending the necessary.

Added a little swipe at M. Ashton before explaining how difficult the January market is.

I would say that a manager who has been supported like no other in our history is in no position to be questioning the commitment or ambition of others. 

I think Dave Fevs mentioned it yesterday too but at the game yesterday, we also discussed whether his refusal to make any subs for so long was his “Steve Cotterill” moment and a message to the board.

What I would say though is that he has been given more than enough resource in the transfer market to put the squad together he wants. 

10 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I think Dave Fevs mentioned it yesterday too but at the game yesterday, we also discussed whether his refusal to make any subs for so long was his “Steve Cotterill” moment and a message to the board.

What I would say though is that he has been given more than enough resource in the transfer market to put the squad together he wants. 

Could be ....or it could be he just doesn't trust his bench. 

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In today’s Post 

Lee does this on occasion and if I were being objective and fair it’s the one area I have modicum of sympathy with.

I don’t think it’s a simple framework to comply with and I don’t how easy it would be to did replacement who could.

45 minutes ago, Kibs said:

He brought a quality striker in who got injured. He’s been trying to find an alternative, though free transfers were limited (Rodri) we still haven’t replaced that

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

In today’s Post 

Is there a link to this? It's hard to know who is saying what a d if you are quoting the the post or LJ in places. 

Interesting that LJ has spoken out 3 times in the last couple of weeks, clearly saying that the recruitment is all down to Ashton. 

I’ve made the point on here many times but people seem keen to not want to believe it. It’s all too easy to berate the manager for all of the signings. 
Most people’s argument against me was that LJ never says anything about the transfer policy, never speaks out about his frustration. 

Well, he’s very subtly hinted about it 3 times this last week or so and putting the pressure onto Ashton to deliver. 

Perhaps people will start to realise now that it’s Ashton’s responsibility and LJ only plays a small role in the identification, recruitment and ratification of incomings. 

9 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I don’t think it’s a simple framework to comply with and I don’t how easy it would be to did replacement who could.

It is simple enough to LJ who clearly understands the ‘sustainability’ policy from SL. Very few other managers would accept that policy - SC for example and why SL trusts LJ 

Those who call for LJs head should be careful what they wish for.

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Lee does this on occasion and if I were being objective and fair it’s the one area I have modicum of sympathy with.

If funny how he quotes “quality over quantity” yet he’s signed nearly 60 players, still doesn’t know his best starting eleven, formation or how his substitutions will influence a game when a plan B is needed.

Great examples are Pato, rejected on the last day of the August transfer window, failed to get on at Derby then gets thrust back in the team as we have no better options!! Yet 3 who were signed in August, we had 2 on the bench yesterday and a 3rd been excluded again altogether, when Johnson was only saying 2 weeks ago what a key member of the squad he was? Baffling to say the least.

He needs to be very careful where he points his finger next, if he has finished chucking “his” players under the bus post game.

His team, his players, his everything! Can’t argue about the current league position but the boring stuff we have endured so long is about team Management! The coach is on another of his bad spells. Good to get the three points yesterday but the middle of the field was the big problem again, plenty of skill there but not enough belief.

we get the points and the team are rewarded - watch social media the next 10 days, they will be having a ball on the money many of them have not earned - has to change, starting at the top with a Coach or Manager that can get the respect of the players!

Lots being said about lack of subs yesterday, how many of those on the bench could or would have changed the game? And would the couch have messed it up again, with his recent record, most likely!

luckily for him it was the sub that set the goal in motion - a midfielder we don’t see enough of, constantly not allowed to show what he can do as he’s not played in his best position.

COYR

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting that LJ has spoken out 3 times in the last couple of weeks, clearly saying that the recruitment is all down to Ashton. 

I’ve made the point on here many times but people seem keen to not want to believe it. It’s all too easy to berate the manager for all of the signings. 
Most people’s argument against me was that LJ never says anything about the transfer policy, never speaks out about his frustration. 

Well, he’s very subtly hinted about it 3 times this last week or so and putting the pressure onto Ashton to deliver. 

Perhaps people will start to realise now that it’s Ashton’s responsibility and LJ only plays a small role in the identification, recruitment and ratification of incomings. 

Hang on there...don’t go saying stuff like that....you’ll have some all over you like a rash about your pro LJ agenda. Take off those rose tinted glass sir!

No seriously, I think you could well be right, there seems to have been historically, and maybe still is (Kasey Palmer) some disparity between LJ and MA on transfers. It’s improved recently, but clearly LJ feels like he’s had enough of taking all the responsibility for the success of our transfer policy when perhaps he doesn’t have anywhere near all the say. 

We put all our eggs in the Nketiah basket as a loan striker, while Swansea have got Rhian Brewster, who looks the real deal up front.

i have some sympathy for LJ in that his frontline still doesn’t play together that well, one exception yesterday being the one that Fam blazed over after Weimann’s intelligent cross. The Afobe injury was a massive blow and if we don’t get anybody in January, and Afobe is still out come March or April, I could understand his frustration.

However I am still in the camp that I don’t think LJ has what it takes to get us to the Premiership, even if we did make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, dave36 said:

His team, his players, his everything! Can’t argue about the current league position but the boring stuff we have endured so long is about team Management! The coach is on another of his bad spells. Good to get the three points yesterday but the middle of the field was the big problem again, plenty of skill there but not enough belief.

we get the points and the team are rewarded - watch social media the next 10 days, they will be having a ball on the money many of them have not earned - has to change, starting at the top with a Coach or Manager that can get the respect of the players!

Lots being said about lack of subs yesterday, how many of those on the bench could or would have changed the game? And would the couch have messed it up again, with his recent record, most likely!

luckily for him it was the sub that set the goal in motion - a midfielder we don’t see enough of, constantly not allowed to show what he can do as he’s not played in his best position.

COYR

working at the airport and have already seen many of the players flying out this morning. Points win prizes and as long as the points are coming its hard to see Lansdown changing things. He cant cash in a good performance but another 3 points on the board  could be worth so much.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

In today’s Post 

I had heard that he had 3 games to sort it out or he would be gone, whatever sorting it out meant but winning yesterday probably means his tenure is safe for now

23 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He brought a quality striker in who got injured. He’s been trying to find an alternative, though free transfers were limited (Rodri) we still haven’t replaced that

I think this might be part of the problem, Johnson said earlier this month that Afobe   remains our player, so presumably we are paying his wages.

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

We put all our eggs in the Nketiah basket as a loan striker, while Swansea have got Rhian Brewster, who looks the real deal up front.

i have some sympathy for LJ in that his frontline still doesn’t play together that well, one exception yesterday being the one that Fam blazed over after Weimann’s intelligent cross. The Afobe injury was a massive blow and if we don’t get anybody in January, and Afobe is still out come March or April, I could understand his frustration.

However I am still in the camp that I don’t think LJ has what it takes to get us to the Premiership, even if we did make the playoffs.

You seriously believe that the club just look at one player at a time? The only people putting all their eggs in one basket, were on this forum.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think this might be part of the problem, Johnson said earlier this month that Afobe   remains our player, so presumably we are paying his wages.

You seriously believe that the club just look at one player at a time? The only people putting all their eggs in one basket, were on this forum.

So were we in for Brewster or did the Ryan Kent episode scupper our chances of getting a loan from Liverpool?

It’s all gone very quiet from the club about bringing anyone in up front, only Rodri leaving. That could be good news that Afobe might be back sooner than originally thought. But “limited options” up front is a valid gripe from LJ, with only Semenyo on the bench, who has shown little evidence that he can play at this level.

Some people are so blinded it’s unreal!

LJ trying to send a message to Lansdown about needing to spend on transfers.

LJ not trusting the players on the bench... they are players he signed ffs!!!

Put the two together and what do you get... an owner fed up of seeing his money thrown away on players who LJ then decides he doesn’t want!

People are quick to point out the money raised by transfers yet chose to ignore the money LJ has been given to spend on players he doesn’t even think are good enough!

Hopefully Lansdown is planning on seeing out this season, keep the money this month and give it to the new manager in the summer.

Edit: Haven’t seen anything regarding Palmer yesterday. Why was he not even on the bench?

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

His days are numbered, irrespective of our league position at the moment if the season were to start tomorrow in my opinion we would be favourites to go down based on the way we've performed in the last 3 months, I cannot see LJ still being in charge come August 

Last 3 months = 20 points from 15 games. Not great, but not relegation form.

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

I listened to LJ on the radio as I drove back yesterday...and for all my scepticism about him I'm increasingly with you on this. 

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I do think that Matty Taylor needs to come back. Him on the bench yesterday would have given LJ some options, and would have been just the sort of game Taylor could have influenced on 70 minutes. Get him home.

Taylor won’t be coming back. 
Even if by the remotest of remote chances he did there is no way of knowing what sort of mind set he would bring with him.

He is , of course, a pro but also a human being. He is happy where he is , at his home town club , getting game time and scoring goals . Does anyone really think that he’d bust a gut for City if he returned ?

No doubt Matty and Oxford would love to make the deal permanent so let’s move on . He is considered surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate and we need to find his replacement for everyone’s good . 

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Some people are so blinded it’s unreal!

LJ trying to send a message to Lansdown about needing to spend on transfers.

LJ not trusting the players on the bench... they are players he signed ffs!!!

Put the two together and what do you get... an owner fed up of seeing his money thrown away on players who LJ then decides he doesn’t want!

People are quick to point out the money raised by transfers yet chose to ignore the money LJ has been given to spend on players he doesn’t even think are good enough!

Hopefully Lansdown is planning on seeing out this season, keep the money this month and give it to the new manager in the summer.

One thing I do find very hard to believe is that LJ would have created his own problem by signing Smodicz and Palmer when we already had Paterson (who seemed bamboozled to find himself at Derby). If it comes out for all that MA was directly responsible for the KP signing I wouldn’t be surprised.

Ashton is clearly a top negotiator but he is also full of shit and his own biggest fan from what I can see. Some of the BS he comes out with such as that DNA claptrap is utterly cringeworthy on the simple basis that it has proven to be so wrong.

I think some people are getting blinded by a hatred for LJ to bash him for stuff that simply isn’t his doing.

MA and dare I say the owner are not whiter than white in terms of how the club is run (however it’s the owners money so he can do as he pleases, get that).

We can speculate on here but none of us really knows the truth about what’s happening with transfers... I believe ashton is targeting players with the potential for profits on future transfers, and this stance has been set up by lansdown.

these aren’t necessarily players that lj needs, but the fact is our squad is full of less physical ball playing mid fielders, and 1 left back and 2 main strikers.

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We can speculate on here but none of us really knows the truth about what’s happening with transfers... I believe ashton is targeting players with the potential for profits on future transfers, and this stance has been set up by lansdown.

these aren’t necessarily players that lj needs, but the fact is our squad is full of less physical ball playing mid fielders, and 1 left back and 2 main strikers.

Good point. It does sometimes seem that our squad is more of an investment portfolio than a team.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

100% this. We have so many bang average (at Championship level and that’s what counts for us) midfield players it’s embarrassing and they are with us solely on the basis they will “hopefully” make us a penny or two.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

100% this. We have so many bang average (at Championship level and that’s what counts for us) midfield players it’s embarrassing and they are with us solely on the basis they will “hopefully” make us a penny or two.

Yes, the signing of palmer after smodzics signed bore that out.. thats 4.5 million for people not actually even in the squad, competing with odowda who got a new contract to maintain his transfer value and pato who was already on the books too.

Archived