IGNORED

LJ challenging SL ?

Major Isewater

Wow this has filled the gaps in a lot of why we sign certain players and also why our transfers can one minute be amazing and the next a bizarre player from nowhere who could flop.

This is why i insist in threads blame the whole team not just LJ if results don't go our way or if we dont get that striker with the goals to push us over the line into ideally top 2 but usually the play offs! 

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A whole empire !!

When did football become so complicated !

Too much data confusing the mind IMHO

I remember Lee describing the pack he receives on a Monday re Saturdays game and described it as inches thick 

Going to sound a dinosaur , but Not sure that’s helpful

You saw the game Lee, you lived it , watch it again quietly on your own , and then again maybe with JMc & Dh all together, then check any odd stats or bits you want to check

Lee is a football man , he’s grown up with it from day one through his Dad and then his own journey from Arsenal onwards and into management , been around the game all his life , when the recruitment team was Archie in his Ford Cortina

Hes trying to be modern and keep up with all the new ideas but I’d bet a fair few quid he would actually be happier , and more successful if he relied on his instincts and football gut

I get the impression that LJ utilises modern methods a great deal perhaps because his father was fairly old school.

LJ growing up alongside GJ will have seen things in his management style he liked and others he didn't. He spent years of his playing career in an environment where his selection could've been down to nepotism - perhaps LJ's apparent love of new tech and methods is a bit of a psychological need to separate his own management from his dad's and carve out his own identity. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Stanton wouldn’t be anything to do with SOD. 
Remember, Ashton was here setting up the recruitment systems in 2012 and 2013. I’m sure Stanton joined via Ashton around that time. West Brom connection too remember. 
SOD didn’t believe in all that mate. Nor did Burt. 
Stanton is ‘head of geeks’. He’s not geek mode, he just tells the geeks what to do. 
As young Knighty alludes to, the guys under Stanton are not scouts per se, they’re geeks. And trust me, the ones I’ve met before, meek. 

Guess the Club should change the main Website then bud.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/first-team-staff/sam-stanton/

Think SoD was asked to put everything in place behind the scenes when he came here...and that included analysis.

Working on the same kind of thing at Pompey. Putting their house in order so to speak.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/mark-kelly-explains-sean-o-driscoll-s-portsmouth-academy-remit-1-8861356

11 hours ago, Knighty said:

@Bob Bob Super Bob I love to tell otib but I don’t know the answer of how many...

considering 80/90% of this website mock me n have abused me I find this ‘tagging in’ strange... but I’ll try again... last time.

city have a bunch of analysis/recruitment team behind the scenes, they are not scouts and purely work on a basis of percentages, data etc.

rhey work under Ashton, my friend boss is Ashton. 
I can only speak what I know of his role so... his role is to find players that suit what we need so for example there are 3 types of players they analyse.

1) your quick fix type of players aka Afobe, doiny (yikes) Watkins Matty Taylor  etc. These players are purely stat/reputation proven not going by anything but what they call gut feeling in the department.. people who look good on paper but haven’t been checked over by the team if there fit, on form, family issues etc. Prob like ur hogans, mccormacks etc

2) my friends role this one is targets we are after with sell on ability.... these are the types we are look at for months on end and go deep into checking out... your eisa, Palmer, de silva types. Full on scouting, data, xg, social life, even interview family n people who worked with them before ( I was surprised to learn that’s ex managers, players) now these are not instant targets unless needed to ‘speed’ up the need for them.. these are usually summer targets that are constantly being monitored. My mates team started Out as 3 people : and now their roughly 7:8 of them. They look at all positions of team weather we fans think we need them or not.. they visit them, watch them checking on all targets.

3) yhese are the/u23 targets that work with Tinnion n Damien Butt looking across the  country for youngsters that can come in n be developed.

now my mate ,for example I’ll use Eisa cause that’s who he worked 8 months on, watched every game for last 2 years on him. Strengths weaknesses data etc. It’s not about scoring goals unfortunately ? it’s the whole package... attitude, social life, family life, diets, wages etc etc. My mate does his work hands it to mr Ashton. That’s it his job his fine next target.

now what happens with data after that no one knows. Hence my mate saying got good chance of signing this person n never hear of them or we sign. As explained before Ollie Watkins to mo eisa... both worked on by my mate and he still baffled as to why we didn’t nab Watkins as he told Ashton to his face he best striker in league 1/2 and ticked every box u could want.

now as stated before by me I know we’re LOOKING at Maja that’s only one I do know we been analysing for a while, again more a summer target..

it’s obvious but January are more the 1)point where ur looking for instant hits not caring about other strategies it’s just loans etc to get in and get u instant results...

hope this helps but k no doubt get a clobbering of the purest on here who think there one scout in the stands watching 1 target per position it’s not....

I have 2 theories about January.

1) we won’t get anyone and if it is it be very last minute

2) things go wrong and fans get on management n owners back and do a Matty Taylor n offer the cash peanuts for Clarke Harris to appease the fans ... it happen before.

anyway let the abuse start...

ctid

Thankyou Knighty , for taking the time to type & passing on your knowledge / understanding - Interesting ?

A few q’s I’m interested by , if you know ......

Am I right , as you appear to indicate, there are additional analyst teams ?  for

Opponents

In House analysis (Our performances etc)  

Can I also ask , out of interest , does the lad you know who you explain watches every game of a potential target , does he write a report after each game or just periodic input ?

And , as far as you are aware , is his analysis more data & analysis based or his views and explanations ?

Also , if you know , is one target assigned to one analyst to watch , or do they all watch a certain target / prospective target ?

and finally !   How much weight is given to the view of analyst teams , do you have any impression(s) via your contact ?

All Interesting / thought provoking 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get the impression that LJ utilises modern methods a great deal perhaps because his father was fairly old school.

LJ growing up alongside GJ will have seen things in his management style he liked and others he didn't. He spent years of his playing career in an environment where his selection could've been down to nepotism - perhaps LJ's apparent love of new tech and methods is a bit of a psychological need to separate his own management from his dad's and carve out his own identity. 

An interesting thought PF

Tbf to him he appears to be a modern thinking bloke, in life generally  , and football , and certainly someone who enthuses about the technical aids - drones , his 5m square Interactive screen/tele Etc (

In fairness , a lot of coaches in the modern game are to varying degrees , and any coach / manager would be daft to not be aware of modern aids , and the all analysis software newly available etc , and what information it can provide.

Id love to be a fly on wall to some of the numerous conversations and discussions he has with his Dad 

Id love to know what GJs advice to him is on various bits

Of course none of us actually know , how much , Lee uses all the analysis thrown at him, and how much influence it has (I’d love to shadow him or anyone at this level, in the modern game , for a week)

It’s great to educate and update yourself, but ,   I still come back to where Lees main football knowledge really lies , and that’s his hands on / live experience as a player , having been in a professional set up as a player & been coached , his whole life, and son of a  manager in the game who has had a fair degree of success, and battles too,  and then his own journey as a coach / manager , to date

I still think I’d be encouraging him to rely on his eyes , his feel , and judgement without too many decisions being dictated by or influenced too heavily , from too much analysis, for example ,  unless on the odd occasion,  it’s overwhelming evidence against what he (And to DH / JMc) sees or think he sees,  himself.

Talking of Bristol Live {bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football}    There is IMHO, a great piece by Matthew Withers, today, (Monday} that echoes a great deal of my thoughts about our current situation, and I would imagine other like minded supporters?  Good piece Matthew, keep up the observations please, especially about non exisitent  entertainment value?

19 hours ago, Knighty said:

try watch bt sport programme about lower leagues manager every week n u see what I mean... even Lincoln had a couple guys with laptops called analysts who scout next polenta n there own team.

Lincoln scout polenta? What tobacco factory you talking about, Knighty? 

20 hours ago, Knighty said:

welcome to modern football 

Tell me about it. All bloody "geek" to me, mate

Archived