IGNORED

Conor Chaplin, Barnsley

Richard Head

7 hours ago, Richard Head said:

He impressed me yesterday, very quick and mobile. Got caught offside a couple of times but just the sort of striker we should be looking for, if he can time his runs and beat the fine margins of offside. One to watch, I feel.

No, no, we must sign a target man ?

Seriously, him and Jacob Brown showed us how two smaller strikers can operate (in this case with a diamond behind them) together, with good movement and willing channel running.  They towed each other around the pitch, rarely more than 20 yards apart.  And boy did they work hard to split our back four to stop us playing out.

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I was really not impressed by Barnsley at all 

Interesting, as most fans seem to feel they played much more fluid football than us. Their finishing was poor, but they got into shooting positions often. They also seemed to combine to play through the middle much better than we did. I thought Chaplin was excellent.

Chaplin did look good yesterday. Got Brentford written all over him as and when he moves

I quite liked the RB as well, Williams? Thought he looked like a nasty ******, but quite decent on the ball. Thankfully got done for pace for the goal, but one I'll keep an eye on

4 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Chaplin did look good yesterday. Got Brentford written all over him as and when he moves

I quite liked the RB as well, Williams? Thought he looked like a nasty ******, but quite decent on the ball. Thankfully got done for pace for the goal, but one I'll keep an eye on

I liked Williams too.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Who was number 7? For me he was the best player on the pitch.

Jacob Brown.  Useful.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was recommended to City by someone I know when he was a 16 year old at Pompey...

Finally filling his potential. 

Dropped down from pompey too. Must have needed a wakeup call because he was highly thought of there. Think he was with Szmodics maybe last season? Or Coventry never can remember which is which

9 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Luke Thomas stood out for me.

KITR beat me to it on Chaplin, who, as he correctly stated, was a name put to City a number of years back. 

As for Luke Thomas. Watched a million times for Cheltenham. Recommended, very highly, to City. No interest. ?

They looked decent except the finishing - certainly better than bottom 3.

Luton & Charlton looked a joke but Wigan and Barnsley actually played some reasonable football. Can certainly see Barnsley escaping. I'd say Luton and Charlton will definitely go down - probably final spot to Wigan because they haven't got a decent striker. 

Amazed that Stoke and Huddersfield are still down there but I think Huddersfield is quite a difficult job with changing things since they got relegated and their injuries. Stoke don't really have an excuse with the players they have.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, no, we must sign a target man ?

Seriously, him and Jacob Brown showed us how two smaller strikers can operate (in this case with a diamond behind them) together, with good movement and willing channel running.  They towed each other around the pitch, rarely more than 20 yards apart.  And boy did they work hard to split our back four to stop us playing out.

I met my Barnsley supporting friend Alan before the game. He informed me that the currently injured Cauley Woodrow has been playing behind the front two, as the tip of the diamond, since Gerhard Struber's appointment. That would have been interesting to see.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

They looked decent except the finishing - certainly better than bottom 3.

Luton & Charlton looked a joke but Wigan and Barnsley actually played some reasonable football. Can certainly see Barnsley escaping. I'd say Luton and Charlton will definitely go down - probably final spot to Wigan because they haven't got a decent striker. 

Amazed that Stoke and Huddersfield are still down there but I think Huddersfield is quite a difficult job with changing things since they got relegated and their injuries. Stoke don't really have an excuse with the players they have.

Stoke's problem is the culmination of years of mismanagement, similar to Sunderland although I don't think they'll go down.

I've seen Wigan a few times this season, including the 2 games against us, and almost every time thought they looked better than their position suggests, but clearly they aren't. Goals are the main problem.

I thought Charlton looked useful for periods at AG. I didn't see the Boxing Day game so can't comment on that. Also worth noting that they have a horrendous injury list. Luton were terrible and will go down.

44 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Amazes me how many fans know who the opposition players are. To me, apart from a handful of well known Championship players, they are just 11 guys in, eg yellow kits. This is why I would like the teams shown on the big screens during the match, instead  of the bleedin obvious scoreline.

That’s why I do my “what can we expect...” posts, 1) to inform those of you that want to know the opposition and 2) give myself more info as prep too.

For me I want to know their system, their players.  In a lot of cases I could probably name 75% of our opponents team, and write a one-liner on most of those too.  But that’s just me.

18 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interesting, as most fans seem to feel they played much more fluid football than us. Their finishing was poor, but they got into shooting positions often. They also seemed to combine to play through the middle much better than we did. I thought Chaplin was excellent.

I know. I wonder what game I was watching, ?

18 hours ago, Harry said:

KITR beat me to it on Chaplin, who, as he correctly stated, was a name put to City a number of years back. 

As for Luke Thomas. Watched a million times for Cheltenham. Recommended, very highly, to City. No interest. ?

Watching 1 million times for Cheltenham (while never actually playing a 1st team game)

Then signed as Derby who turfed him out on loan, where he has hardly been prolific, before being signed by Barnsley, scoring on his debut, then not again for 17 games.

Missed an open goal from 4 yards out.

I'm glad there was no interest!

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.42.15.png

17 minutes ago, grifty said:

Watching 1 million times for Cheltenham (while never actually playing a 1st team game)

Then signed as Derby who turfed him out on loan, where he has hardly been prolific, before being signed by Barnsley, scoring on his debut, then not again for 17 games.

Missed an open goal from 4 yards out.

I'm glad there was no interest!

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.42.15.png

People do play youth games mate. 
And scouts do watch those youth game mate. 
But thanks for taking the time to work out for yourself his history, which was already very well known to me. 

I’ll actually make an edit to my initial post. I’d incorrectly said there was no interest. 
In fact we did show interest, but he chose derby over us. More money and I think they were generally just much more keen. 
What I was more frustrated with is that we should’ve been more keen and acted earlier. 

Archived