IGNORED

Conor Chaplin, Barnsley

Richard Head

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interesting, as most fans seem to feel they played much more fluid football than us. Their finishing was poor, but they got into shooting positions often. They also seemed to combine to play through the middle much better than we did. I thought Chaplin was excellent.

19 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

They looked decent except the finishing - certainly better than bottom 3.

I really think it is hard to judge how good a side is when they come to the Gate. We concede so much possession they only have to be a passable ( ? ) passing side to control long spells of the game. As said above, the finishing left a lot to be desired, if they had scored one of their very presentable chances I would think that may have been have been enough to win it, bearing in mind how our confidence has been.
Just looked at some stats, and as I thought , it proves nothing ?
Our possession. Red=win Grey = Draw Black = loss
Barnsley :         42%
Shrewsbury :  47%
Brentford :      32% *yeah I know*
Luton.      :       45%
Blackburn :     57%
Millwall :          65%

*Huddersfield : 41% 
Odd that the two games we had most possession , we lost, make of that what you will. I would love the patience to find out if there is another team in this division with lower %.  *I added the Huddersfield game purely for the fact we scored 5, and I still thought they looked a decent team.
It's not just our low possession percentage though, it's what we do with it, 13 shots on target in the last four home games and that includes 8 Vs Luton.
It's been said many times, but we need to find a way to play at home, not been convincing for some time.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I really think it is hard to judge how good a side is when they come to the Gate. We concede so much possession they only have to be a passable ( ? ) passing side to control long spells of the game. As said above, the finishing left a lot to be desired, if they had scored one of their very presentable chances I would think that may have been have been enough to win it, bearing in mind how our confidence has been.
Just looked at some stats, and as I thought , it proves nothing ?
Our possession. Red=win Grey = Draw Black = loss
Barnsley :         42%
Shrewsbury :  47%
Brentford :      32% *yeah I know*
Luton.      :       45%
Blackburn :     57%
Millwall :          65%

*Huddersfield : 41% 
Odd that the two games we had most possession , we lost, make of that what you will. I would love the patience to find out if there is another team in this division with lower %.  *I added the Huddersfield game purely for the fact we scored 5, and I still thought they looked a decent team.
It's not just our low possession percentage though, it's what we do with it, 13 shots on target in the last four home games and that includes 8 Vs Luton.
It's been said many times, but we need to find a way to play at home, not been convincing for some time.

Was listening to OTIB earlier, and re Barnsley Oscar said only two shots on target.

Factually correct? Yes.

But we hit the woodwork twice (Brown - og header, Williams keeper tipped onto post but free-kick given).  These weren’t on target technically, but probably gives a better indication of our chances.

Then you add Eliasson and Diedhiou’s 7-8 yarders over the bar, when they really should’ve go them on target, and you’re suddenly up to 6...3 times the two that counted.

I like this chart below.  Gives a different (better?) perspective than just shots on target, which aren’t the perfect measure either.

47F92BAA-26CA-40AC-9D66-06FA33F9A3D4.thumb.jpeg.aea6e2778fb832c2a8920b995e98f1ff.jpeg

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was listening to OTIB earlier, and re Barnsley Oscar said only two shots on target.

Factually correct? Yes.

But we hit the woodwork twice (Brown - og header, Williams keeper tipped onto post but free-kick given).  These weren’t on target technically, but probably gives a better indication of our chances.

Then you add Eliasson and Diedhiou’s 7-8 yarders over the bar, when they really should’ve go them on target, and you’re suddenly up to 6...3 times the two that counted.

I like this chart below.  Gives a different (better?) perspective than just shots on target, which aren’t the perfect measure either.

47F92BAA-26CA-40AC-9D66-06FA33F9A3D4.thumb.jpeg.aea6e2778fb832c2a8920b995e98f1ff.jpeg

Woodwork = off target and if you hit the ball in the stand you're very unlikely to trouble the scorers, unless it's cricket Dave. It has been a continuing problem at home, we don't dominate and we don't get enough shots on goal. I do take your point, and I imagine the XG meter may have nearly exploded with Fam and NE's chances,  from memory they seemed bad misses but I've not seen any replays yet. 
Bottom line is we need more of the ball in the final third, we need to get more shots on target and we need to be more clinical .

There , easy ! ?

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Woodwork = off target and if you hit the ball in the stand you're very unlikely to trouble the scorers, unless it's cricket Dave. It has been a continuing problem at home, we don't dominate and we don't get enough shots on goal. I do take your point, and I imagine the XG meter may have nearly exploded with Fam and NE's chances,  from memory they seemed bad misses but I've not seen any replays yet. 
Bottom line is we need more of the ball in the final third, we need to get more shots on target and we need to be more clinical .

There , easy ! ?

And the much ridiculed “box entries” seems to me at least as useful as “shots on target” for the reasons you quote.

26 minutes ago, Leveller said:

And the much ridiculed “box entries” seems to me at least as useful as “shots on target” for the reasons you quote.

All the stats are good/useful to a point. @Davefevs mentions XG , add the "box entries" it can give clues , but not the entire picture. A shot on target doesn't tell you from how far, or what angle. XG can tell you a little more, in respect of how likely you are to score from that position , but not sure that takes into account the situation. Box entries tell you that we are actually getting into threatening areas.  I think the thing is to look across all stats, and come to your own conclusions.

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

We have scored the 5th most goals in the Championship. Just saying.

True and have conceded 10th worse. I said elsewhere that, yeh I would like a pacey striker to come in, but equally an athletic, ball winning CMF too. Be nice to get all defender fit too.

On 19/01/2020 at 19:50, 'Orns said:

Chaplin did look good yesterday. Got Brentford written all over him as and when he moves

I quite liked the RB as well, Williams? Thought he looked like a nasty ******, but quite decent on the ball. Thankfully got done for pace for the goal, but one I'll keep an eye on

Agreed, best player on the pitch (on the day) for me. Get him in MA.

Archived