Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Richard Head

Conor Chaplin, Barnsley

He impressed me yesterday, very quick and mobile. Got caught offside a couple of times but just the sort of striker we should be looking for, if he can time his runs and beat the fine margins of offside. One to watch, I feel.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If Barnsley go down then I expect we'd be looking at a few of their players.

As per normal .

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Luke Thomas stood out for me.

That was nice of him .

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Richard Head said:

He impressed me yesterday, very quick and mobile. Got caught offside a couple of times but just the sort of striker we should be looking for, if he can time his runs and beat the fine margins of offside. One to watch, I feel.

No, no, we must sign a target man 👀

Seriously, him and Jacob Brown showed us how two smaller strikers can operate (in this case with a diamond behind them) together, with good movement and willing channel running.  They towed each other around the pitch, rarely more than 20 yards apart.  And boy did they work hard to split our back four to stop us playing out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I was really not impressed by Barnsley at all 

Interesting, as most fans seem to feel they played much more fluid football than us. Their finishing was poor, but they got into shooting positions often. They also seemed to combine to play through the middle much better than we did. I thought Chaplin was excellent.

• Like 1

Chaplin did look good yesterday. Got Brentford written all over him as and when he moves

I quite liked the RB as well, Williams? Thought he looked like a nasty ******, but quite decent on the ball. Thankfully got done for pace for the goal, but one I'll keep an eye on

4 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Chaplin did look good yesterday. Got Brentford written all over him as and when he moves

I quite liked the RB as well, Williams? Thought he looked like a nasty ******, but quite decent on the ball. Thankfully got done for pace for the goal, but one I'll keep an eye on

I liked Williams too.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Who was number 7? For me he was the best player on the pitch.

Jacob Brown.  Useful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I liked Williams too.

Jacob Brown.  Useful.

Replacement for Weimann?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was recommended to City by someone I know when he was a 16 year old at Pompey...

Finally filling his potential. 

So he's good in Modern Times?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was recommended to City by someone I know when he was a 16 year old at Pompey...

Finally filling his potential. 

Dropped down from pompey too. Must have needed a wakeup call because he was highly thought of there. Think he was with Szmodics maybe last season? Or Coventry never can remember which is which

9 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Luke Thomas stood out for me.

KITR beat me to it on Chaplin, who, as he correctly stated, was a name put to City a number of years back. 

As for Luke Thomas. Watched a million times for Cheltenham. Recommended, very highly, to City. No interest. 🤬

So we’d sign these two who have great movement. What would be the point?! We have the ‘pass and stand still’ tactics going on at the moment!

Never seen a team not want the ball so much!!!

• Like 2

They looked decent except the finishing - certainly better than bottom 3.

Luton & Charlton looked a joke but Wigan and Barnsley actually played some reasonable football. Can certainly see Barnsley escaping. I'd say Luton and Charlton will definitely go down - probably final spot to Wigan because they haven't got a decent striker. 

Amazed that Stoke and Huddersfield are still down there but I think Huddersfield is quite a difficult job with changing things since they got relegated and their injuries. Stoke don't really have an excuse with the players they have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, no, we must sign a target man 👀

Seriously, him and Jacob Brown showed us how two smaller strikers can operate (in this case with a diamond behind them) together, with good movement and willing channel running.  They towed each other around the pitch, rarely more than 20 yards apart.  And boy did they work hard to split our back four to stop us playing out.

I met my Barnsley supporting friend Alan before the game. He informed me that the currently injured Cauley Woodrow has been playing behind the front two, as the tip of the diamond, since Gerhard Struber's appointment. That would have been interesting to see.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Luton & Charlton looked a joke but Wigan and Barnsley actually played some reasonable football. Can certainly see Barnsley escaping. I'd say Luton and Charlton will definitely go down - probably final spot to Wigan because they haven't got a decent striker. 

Amazed that Stoke and Huddersfield are still down there but I think Huddersfield is quite a difficult job with changing things since they got relegated and their injuries. Stoke don't really have an excuse with the players they have.

Stoke's problem is the culmination of years of mismanagement, similar to Sunderland although I don't think they'll go down.

I've seen Wigan a few times this season, including the 2 games against us, and almost every time thought they looked better than their position suggests, but clearly they aren't. Goals are the main problem.

I thought Charlton looked useful for periods at AG. I didn't see the Boxing Day game so can't comment on that. Also worth noting that they have a horrendous injury list. Luton were terrible and will go down.

Amazes me how many fans know who the opposition players are. To me, apart from a handful of well known Championship players, they are just 11 guys in, eg yellow kits. This is why I would like the teams shown on the big screens during the match, instead  of the bleedin obvious scoreline.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Amazes me how many fans know who the opposition players are. To me, apart from a handful of well known Championship players, they are just 11 guys in, eg yellow kits. This is why I would like the teams shown on the big screens during the match, instead  of the bleedin obvious scoreline.

That’s why I do my “what can we expect...” posts, 1) to inform those of you that want to know the opposition and 2) give myself more info as prep too.

For me I want to know their system, their players.  In a lot of cases I could probably name 75% of our opponents team, and write a one-liner on most of those too.  But that’s just me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interesting, as most fans seem to feel they played much more fluid football than us. Their finishing was poor, but they got into shooting positions often. They also seemed to combine to play through the middle much better than we did. I thought Chaplin was excellent.

I know. I wonder what game I was watching, 🤔

18 hours ago, Harry said:

KITR beat me to it on Chaplin, who, as he correctly stated, was a name put to City a number of years back. 

As for Luke Thomas. Watched a million times for Cheltenham. Recommended, very highly, to City. No interest. 🤬

Watching 1 million times for Cheltenham (while never actually playing a 1st team game)

Then signed as Derby who turfed him out on loan, where he has hardly been prolific, before being signed by Barnsley, scoring on his debut, then not again for 17 games.

Missed an open goal from 4 yards out.

I'm glad there was no interest!

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.42.15.png

17 minutes ago, grifty said:

Watching 1 million times for Cheltenham (while never actually playing a 1st team game)

Then signed as Derby who turfed him out on loan, where he has hardly been prolific, before being signed by Barnsley, scoring on his debut, then not again for 17 games.

Missed an open goal from 4 yards out.

I'm glad there was no interest!

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.42.15.png

People do play youth games mate. 
And scouts do watch those youth game mate. 
But thanks for taking the time to work out for yourself his history, which was already very well known to me. 

I’ll actually make an edit to my initial post. I’d incorrectly said there was no interest. 
In fact we did show interest, but he chose derby over us. More money and I think they were generally just much more keen. 
What I was more frustrated with is that we should’ve been more keen and acted earlier. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Leveller said:

19 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I really think it is hard to judge how good a side is when they come to the Gate. We concede so much possession they only have to be a passable ( 🙄 ) passing side to control long spells of the game. As said above, the finishing left a lot to be desired, if they had scored one of their very presentable chances I would think that may have been have been enough to win it, bearing in mind how our confidence has been.
Just looked at some stats, and as I thought , it proves nothing 😂
Our possession. Red=win Grey = Draw Black = loss
Barnsley :         42%
Shrewsbury :  47%
Brentford :      32% *yeah I know*
Luton.      :       45%
Blackburn :     57%
Millwall :          65%

*Huddersfield : 41% 
Odd that the two games we had most possession , we lost, make of that what you will. I would love the patience to find out if there is another team in this division with lower %.  *I added the Huddersfield game purely for the fact we scored 5, and I still thought they looked a decent team.
It's not just our low possession percentage though, it's what we do with it, 13 shots on target in the last four home games and that includes 8 Vs Luton.
It's been said many times, but we need to find a way to play at home, not been convincing for some time.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I really think it is hard to judge how good a side is when they come to the Gate. We concede so much possession they only have to be a passable ( 🙄 ) passing side to control long spells of the game. As said above, the finishing left a lot to be desired, if they had scored one of their very presentable chances I would think that may have been have been enough to win it, bearing in mind how our confidence has been.
Just looked at some stats, and as I thought , it proves nothing 😂
Our possession. Red=win Grey = Draw Black = loss
Barnsley :         42%
Shrewsbury :  47%
Brentford :      32% *yeah I know*
Luton.      :       45%
Blackburn :     57%
Millwall :          65%

*Huddersfield : 41% 
Odd that the two games we had most possession , we lost, make of that what you will. I would love the patience to find out if there is another team in this division with lower %.  *I added the Huddersfield game purely for the fact we scored 5, and I still thought they looked a decent team.
It's not just our low possession percentage though, it's what we do with it, 13 shots on target in the last four home games and that includes 8 Vs Luton.
It's been said many times, but we need to find a way to play at home, not been convincing for some time.

Was listening to OTIB earlier, and re Barnsley Oscar said only two shots on target.

Factually correct? Yes.

But we hit the woodwork twice (Brown - og header, Williams keeper tipped onto post but free-kick given).  These weren’t on target technically, but probably gives a better indication of our chances.

Then you add Eliasson and Diedhiou’s 7-8 yarders over the bar, when they really should’ve go them on target, and you’re suddenly up to 6...3 times the two that counted.

I like this chart below.  Gives a different (better?) perspective than just shots on target, which aren’t the perfect measure either.

47F92BAA-26CA-40AC-9D66-06FA33F9A3D4.thumb.jpeg.aea6e2778fb832c2a8920b995e98f1ff.jpeg

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was listening to OTIB earlier, and re Barnsley Oscar said only two shots on target.

Factually correct? Yes.

But we hit the woodwork twice (Brown - og header, Williams keeper tipped onto post but free-kick given).  These weren’t on target technically, but probably gives a better indication of our chances.

Then you add Eliasson and Diedhiou’s 7-8 yarders over the bar, when they really should’ve go them on target, and you’re suddenly up to 6...3 times the two that counted.

I like this chart below.  Gives a different (better?) perspective than just shots on target, which aren’t the perfect measure either.

47F92BAA-26CA-40AC-9D66-06FA33F9A3D4.thumb.jpeg.aea6e2778fb832c2a8920b995e98f1ff.jpeg

Woodwork = off target and if you hit the ball in the stand you're very unlikely to trouble the scorers, unless it's cricket Dave. It has been a continuing problem at home, we don't dominate and we don't get enough shots on goal. I do take your point, and I imagine the XG meter may have nearly exploded with Fam and NE's chances,  from memory they seemed bad misses but I've not seen any replays yet. 
Bottom line is we need more of the ball in the final third, we need to get more shots on target and we need to be more clinical .

There , easy ! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Woodwork = off target and if you hit the ball in the stand you're very unlikely to trouble the scorers, unless it's cricket Dave. It has been a continuing problem at home, we don't dominate and we don't get enough shots on goal. I do take your point, and I imagine the XG meter may have nearly exploded with Fam and NE's chances,  from memory they seemed bad misses but I've not seen any replays yet. 
Bottom line is we need more of the ball in the final third, we need to get more shots on target and we need to be more clinical .

There , easy ! 😊

And the much ridiculed “box entries” seems to me at least as useful as “shots on target” for the reasons you quote.

26 minutes ago, Leveller said:

And the much ridiculed “box entries” seems to me at least as useful as “shots on target” for the reasons you quote.

All the stats are good/useful to a point. @Davefevs mentions XG , add the "box entries" it can give clues , but not the entire picture. A shot on target doesn't tell you from how far, or what angle. XG can tell you a little more, in respect of how likely you are to score from that position , but not sure that takes into account the situation. Box entries tell you that we are actually getting into threatening areas.  I think the thing is to look across all stats, and come to your own conclusions.

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

We have scored the 5th most goals in the Championship. Just saying.

True and have conceded 10th worse. I said elsewhere that, yeh I would like a pacey striker to come in, but equally an athletic, ball winning CMF too. Be nice to get all defender fit too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, 7 was Jacob Brown.  Converted winger.  Thomas was 16.

Jacob Brown I thought was excellent. Love the way Barnsley played like a poor mans Brentford!!

On 19/01/2020 at 19:50, 'Orns said:

Agreed, best player on the pitch (on the day) for me. Get him in MA.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Wonder if he'd have the right D N A for us though.... ?

Sounds like he could be a funny little fooker... 

7e128f351ddefde83d908438eff11dbe.jpg

Is that Clive Whitehead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is that Clive Whitehead?

:laugh:.. 👍

Good spot... Still funny after all these years, to be honest I didn't realise Chaplin did impersonations but he did a great Whitehead! 😂