IGNORED

Why didn't Lansdown appoint Bielsa?

southvillekiddy

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

So why do we waste millions on duff players?

Because Mark Ashton is rubbish. Or because Lee Johnson is. 

It's one or the other. Hang on while I plough through the reams of stuff on who is responsible and I will get back to you. With the answer.

Once and for all.

(I think it's Ashton now, though. Probably )

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you envious of Leeds’ 1 win in the last 7 league games..? Or is that ok, because he’s not called LJ..?! 

I've got little time for Leeds, their attitude, their fans , their coppers etc.. after an experience at Elland Road but I do admire them for having the guts to hire Bielsa

I keep saying Johnson isn't really the issue. He's another wrong person appointed by our owner.

22 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Do you know how much he earns? Way out of league because of the financial considerations 

£4 million a year

A fair few players here will be earning £1 million pa

Take away LJs wages and lose 3 out of bloated squad".........

Im not saying Bielsa for example should have been targeted , but to say he’s unaffordable is nonsense 

25 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

The two issues are not mutually exclusive. Today's internationally acclaimed managers demand big budgets. You may as well argue why don't we appoint Mourinho or Guardiola. 

Bielsa, for all of his supposed genius (I remain to be convinced) is also a massive risk. He may get the desired result as a manager, but he's just as likely to walk out after a fortnight. For all their pretty football he will be a failure if he doesn't get Leeds promoted. 

18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I've got little time for Leeds, their attitude, their fans , their coppers etc.. after an experience at Elland Road but I do admire them for having the guts to hire Bielsa

I keep saying Johnson isn't really the issue. He's another wrong person appointed by our owner.

Guts will count for nothing if he doesn't get them promoted.

Bielsa would've never heard of Bristol City before moving to Leeds. For a long period of time, he's been considered one of the best coaches in the world which has been cited by both Guardiola and Pochettino. It may surprise a few on here but languishing outside the top flight for 40 years has a bit of an impact on our ability to attract footballing greats. 

I'm not sure if the initial post was a joke but this thread is embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Bielsa would've never heard of Bristol City before moving to Leeds. For a long period of time, he's been considered one of the best coaches in the world which has been cited by both Guardiola and Pochettino. It may surprise a few on here but languishing outside the top flight for 40 years has a bit of an impact on our ability to attract footballing greats. 

I'm not sure if the initial post was a joke but this thread is embarrassing. 

It wasn't a joke mate. I can't believe that Hargreaves/ Lansdown got where they are by thinking small

We could afford Bielsa.....however he would bring a huge backroom team and demand a level of control and direction that would probably make MA redundant and SL uneasy. Didnt he demand the building of a hotel next to the ground so players could sleep there.

As for Leeds they are pretty skint in terms of transfer fees....they can afford the wages but not the fee so opposite position to us.

5 minutes ago, Lez said:

We could afford Bielsa.....however he would bring a huge backroom team and demand a level of control and direction that would probably make MA redundant and SL uneasy. Didnt he demand the building of a hotel next to the ground so players could sleep there.

As for Leeds they are pretty skint in terms of transfer fees....they can afford the wages but not the fee so opposite position to us.

This what I believe and if it is the case we are truly stuck in the mud with SL as our owner

Some of us believe we should thank ourselves lucky for having a football Club, while others amongst us think we are massively underachieving under the present regime

43 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Some Daily Mail levels of number changing going on with OTIB this last week.

I'm sure it was 50 players at the beginning of the week, and now we are up to 60!

A bit like Harry and Megan with their 2.9mil, no, sorry 7.5mil annual security costs! 

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

It wasn't a joke mate. I can't believe that Hargreaves/ Lansdown got where they are by thinking small

But you've chosen a single appointment in football when there's 950 professional clubs in Europe and 949 of them have 'thought small' too. It's easy to know the right thing to do with hindsight. It's similar to me saying that I thought small when I didn't create Amazon in the late 90s, it's a ridiculous argument. I'm not exactly enthused by this season but I think some of the drivel posted on here is embarrassing. 

42 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Why not list them all, and then we can all comeback with a list of what we think hasn't been wasted, and then compare if he has indeed wasted millions or if he is in profit overall?? That is all that matters as EVERY single club in the football league buy players who turn out to do nothing for them and considered a waste of money.

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Why not list them all, and then we can all comeback with a list of what we think hasn't been wasted, and then compare if he has indeed wasted millions or if he is in profit overall?? That is all that matters as EVERY single club in the football league buy players who turn out to do nothing for them and considered a waste of money.

I'll look into that mate. What's sure is that we'll find it pretty hard to remember the names of many of our signings in the last 4 years

6 minutes ago, Coppello said:

But you've chosen a single appointment in football when there's 950 professional clubs in Europe and 949 of them have 'thought small' too. It's easy to know the right thing to do with hindsight. It's similar to me saying that I thought small when I didn't create Amazon in the late 90s, it's a ridiculous argument. I'm not exactly enthused by this season but I think some of the drivel posted on here is embarrassing. 

Surely you would agree that the appointment of the Manager is the most important decision a football Club can make? What would be your job desciption be for this role.

And winner of the most ridiculous thread of 2020 goes to......  

Ha ha. What a shout this is mind. 

I’m sure Bielsa was sat there, having recently managed Argentina, Marseille & Lazio, thinking “why hasn’t that Lansdown chap from Bristol City asked me if I want to take Bristol City to glory”. 

Until Bielsa arrived at Leeds, he probably had very little knowledge of the English 2nd division, let alone a club that hasn’t seen top flight football since he was a 25 year old youth coach in a northwest province of Argentina. 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”  

Archived