IGNORED

Why didn't Lansdown appoint Bielsa?

southvillekiddy

Charlie, dont worry about our fanbase, they rarely come on this forum. Southvilles whole point is we are "massively underachieving" - what a stupid comment or thread. Based on what?

In the last 50yrs we are currently over achieving our clubs' average league position. 

I'd imagine he/she is having jelly babies for Sunday lunch. If he/she liked cricket the thread would be 'drop Stokes' after some fielding mistakes today! 

Absolutely no sporting sense nor perspective 

CoYRs and thank goodness Lj/MA/SL havent just SPENT £60m, they have made that on sales and we are nearly at the top of our league. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Charlie, dont worry about our fanbase, they rarely come on this forum. Southvilles whole point is we are "massively underachieving" - what a stupid comment or thread. Based on what?

In the last 50yrs we are currently over achieving our clubs' average league position. 

I'd imagine he/she is having jelly babies for Sunday lunch. If he/she liked cricket the thread would be 'drop Stokes' after some fielding mistakes today! 

Absolutely no sporting sense nor perspective 

CoYRs and thank goodness Lj/MA/SL havent just SPENT £60m, they have made that on sales and we are nearly at the top of our league. 

That's quite insulting mate, with more than a touch of gratuitous nastiness. Plus you offer the cock-eyed argument that because we have been generally poor since the time of Alan Dicks (the only Bristol City manager of note, who took us to the then top flight) that we are somehow over-achieving now??

By the way I'm 71, how old are you? Don't eat sweets anymore, bad for you.

We're nearly at the top of our League in 8th place ??????

Sporting perspective?. You seem to have settled for the third rate and so the second is appealing? Stuck in the mud parochialism or what? You seem to be happy that a club in the 6th largest city in England with a billionaire owner has not been in the top flight for 40 years

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You will have a better idea about his annual pay than me KITR but I’d be surprised if Lee is on £500k 

But it’s somewhat irrelevant £500k / £800k / £1 million

£4 million for a coach when considering the cost of player churn and costs is not a large sum at our level, if the manager maximises the potential of his squad

What percentage of our annual wage bill would 4m for a head coach be ?

LJ was on £500k pa before he signed his last contract renewal so I expect he got a decent pay rise but still wouldn't have thought he's anywhere near £1m pa.  Even a generous 20% pay rise would only have him on £600k (I say "only" you know what I mean!) 

£4m pa would represent a sizeable and not insignificant % of our annual wage budget.

As you say, getting in a global name as coach and investing him is one way of doing things. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be completely against the idea providing it was the right man however you and I both know it simply won't happen as long as SL is running the club, so imo pretty pointless debating the idea!

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ was on £500k pa before he signed his last contract renewal so I expect he got a decent pay rise but still wouldn't have thought he's anywhere near £1m pa.  Even a generous 20% pay rise would only have him on £600k (I say "only" you know what I mean!) 

£4m pa would represent a sizeable and not insignificant % of our annual wage budget.

As you say, getting in a global name as coach and investing him is one way of doing things. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be completely against the idea providing it was the right man however you and I both know it simply won't happen as long as SL is running the club, so imo pretty pointless debating the idea!

It’s strange isn’t it

From a man who built a multi billion business

I bet he would have recruited and headhunted the best he could whilst at the helm at L&H

Maybe he didn’t .........and backed up and coming .....promising......and that’s the reason for his mindset ?

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is also pointless unless a coach of global renown is likely to want to add Bristol City to their cv.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing this suggestion that we’ve “wasted millions” on duff players, and it’s rarely challenged, as if it’s objective fact. Is it?

If our recruitment was really that bad, would we have managed to climb the table for five successive seasons?

Tomlin and Engvall spring to mind as expensive recruits that clearly didn’t justify the money spent. Palmer looks like he might be another. Beyond that we’ve had some fairly neutral signings like Djuric, Pisano, Watkins, Walsh for example. Then we’ve had some crap loans, like Diony and Kent - but then they were loans, so our financial exposure was limited.

Personally I find it easier to recall many more signings who have - overall - been broadly positive i.e. have made at least useful contributions to the first team; 

Brownhill, Kalas, Webster, Dasilva, Tammy, Fammy, Hunt, Bentley, Massengo, Moore, Wiemann, Maenpaa, Eliasson, Baker, Wright, Taylor, Afobe, Williams.

Plus of course you have to consider the money returned by selling players that, at the time, had effectively become too good for us; Reid, Bryan, Flint, Webster.

Is it actually a lazy accusation without much foundation that we’ve “wasted millions” on players? I think it might be.

I am very surprised @southvillekiddy has seemed to have missed this post....

When you read this can you please quote all the players and the money wasted on them please, so we can total up against the list in ChippenhamReds post.

Thanks in advance

42 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Also how many staff of his own did he bring in to Leeds, and at what cost? If it doesn't work out how much is the payoff as well? Easy enough to quote the figure of one main manager/coach (not you personally just overall by many as one cost), but it is rarely that simple and straightforward.

16 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I am very surprised @southvillekiddy has seemed to have missed this post....

When you read this can you please quote all the players and the money wasted on them please, so we can total up against the list in ChippenhamReds post.

Thanks in advance

Sorry lads, I've got to have a lie down after that roast plus I'm nursing a singed cat.

But seriously the people making shirts for our players must be running out fabric, letters and numbers

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We wouldn't spend £4M on a year on a manager, currently, or whenever Bielsa was available .  Its not the Lansdown way.   Its not nonsense

£4 million a year

A fair few players here will be earning £1 million pa

Take away LJs wages and lose 3 out of bloated squad".........

Im not saying Bielsa for example should have been targeted , but to say he’s unaffordable is nonsense 

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

41 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

7/8 million for him and his staff per season, that's why. 

Imagine the outrage on here if we were playing like that and kept bottling it every season.

Exactly.  Before Johnson got the job, people were getting themselves excited that Moyes, Pearson etc etc were in the running.  It wasn't going to happen because of the cost of the Manager, his backroom staff, and that's before they discussed their transfer budget.  Theres no sell on value with a Manager, and the club would rather spend money(albeit not a lot) on the transfer fee for a player plus wages, because theres the possibility of a profit with an onward transfer

46 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sorry lads, I've got to have a lie down after that roast plus I'm nursing a singed cat.

But seriously the people making shirts for our players must be running out fabric, letters and numbers

Have you ever thought that when his agent says 

Marcela Bristol City are in for you “

He says 

“Who” ? 

59 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

7/8 million for him and his staff per season, that's why. 

Imagine the outrage on here if we were playing like that and kept bottling it every season.

What does this mean 'if we were playing like that',  was it a typo-paying? 

Leeds play very good football under Bielsa but they have a problem that crops up over regular spells which is finishing sides off. They're very dominant though.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What does this mean 'if we were playing like that',  was it a typo-paying? 

Leeds play very good football under Bielsa but they have a problem that crops up over regular spells which is finishing sides off. They're very dominant though.

Yes a typo, indeed I ment paying.

With Leeds spending all that money on Bielsa what have they actually achieved? He'll walk if they bottle it again imo.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

With Leeds spending all that money on Bielsa what have they actually achieved? He'll walk if they bottle it again imo.

A few positives, looking from the outside granted. 

Some great football. 

Their best back to back seasons since relegation from the PL. 

Jack Harrison loan and loan to buy- possibly due to Pep Bielsa relationship. 

Jack Clarke sale and loan back..Pochettino Bielsa relationship maybe helped. Granted he barely utilised him!

He will be judged on promotion ultimately though, but the number of chances they miss is incredible.

A question southvillekiddy you highlight Alan Dicks as the only manager of note, what was his previous managerial experience? I'm sure someone of 71 years will remember.

Oh yeah and can you tell me how his first few season went as I'm a little too young to remember.

17 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

How about the money he doesn’t spend on fees , agent fees and wages 

After arriving  He signed Two players  (Bamford an Douglas) for a total of just over £ 10 million and recouped most of tha5 by offloading Viereia for £6.5 milion

This season / last summer he hasnt made  one purchase , sold players for  £27+ million , and then works with what he has left with five loanees 

I find Bielsa incredibly over rated an unreliable.

Marseille - were top but fell away to 4th.

Lazio - was there 2 days.

Lille - left after a few months.

Leeds - we all know what happened last year.

Very glad we didn't go anywhere near him, not that he would have looked at us anyway. Absolutely ridiculous shout from the OP.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How about the money he doesn’t spend on fees , agent fees and wages 

After arriving  He signed Two players  (Bamford an Douglas) for a total of just over £ 10 million and recouped most of tha5 by offloading Viereia for £6.5 milion

This season / last summer he hasnt made  one purchase , sold players for  £27+ million , and then works with what he has left with five loanees 

Those loanees will likely be on big wages with decent loan fees as well, it’s hardly as though they came for free. 

Yes he hasn’t spent a lot, but he’s certainly not got a squad full of nobodies on no money

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Those loanees will likely be on big wages with decent loan fees as well, it’s hardly as though they came for free. 

Yes he hasn’t spent a lot, but he’s certainly not got a squad full of nobodies on no money

He's signed a variety but he has also undoubtedly got more out of a variety too. 

Think when he joined Leeds had just finished 15th. Underachieving absolutely but that 3rd place last season was their highest finish since 2006, and in fact best since they left the PL in 2004.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's signed a variety but he has also undoubtedly got more out of a variety too. 

Think when he joined Leeds had just finished 15th. Underachieving absolutely but that 3rd place last season was their highest finish since 2006, and in fact best since they left the PL in 2004.

I agree he’s got a good amount out of players, but when you look at the players he has they are certainly no mugs. Costa, Hernandez, Bamford, Phillips etc were all accomplished championship players before Bielsa took over and the likes of Harrison and White are very good youngsters, as is Nketiah. 

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

A question southvillekiddy you highlight Alan Dicks as the only manager of note, what was his previous managerial experience? I'm sure someone of 71 years will remember.

Oh yeah and can you tell me how his first few season went as I'm a little too young to remember.

Nah. You're not too young and you know it.

Dicks was a one-off in a different age, he'd already done well under Jimmy Hill. Harry Dolman, a highly successful business from that age must have surely seen, without the benefits of the Internet, what was special about him.  But in today's world, where information is everything and is available to all you can't surely can't rely on another one-off appearing or magically developing from a mediocre start, which is what we have now. AD is the one truly distinguished manager we've had in 125 years IMHO. I've said over and over our very successful business man owner, a billionaire, seems incapable of doing in football what he has done in business. ie find the highest quality staff to continually keep developing his business. 

Even after a lie down following the roast I remain totally baffled by City fans who cannot get this.

I await your reply mate.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I find Bielsa incredibly over rated an unreliable.

Marseille - were top but fell away to 4th.

Lazio - was there 2 days.

Lille - left after a few months.

Leeds - we all know what happened last year.

Very glad we didn't go anywhere near him, not that he would have looked at us anyway. Absolutely ridiculous shout from the OP.

I think you missed out the bit about him managing the Argentinian national team, world cup winners, who must know a bit about football and football managers. He also managed the Chiliean national team

Archived