IGNORED

Why didn't Lansdown appoint Bielsa?

southvillekiddy

On 19/01/2020 at 13:28, chinapig said:

As a matter of interest, and ignore me if memory is playing tricks on me, do you still believe we should and could have persuaded Rafa Benitez to be our Head Coach?

Someone else being sarcy instead of using their imagination. Why is the thought of BCFC actually achieving something so frightening to you?

On 19/01/2020 at 12:24, Badger08 said:

Absolutely spot on. It's sad, this whole Johnson thing is person with some of our fans, but let's not let's simple facts like this affect the bashing and name calling. 

Be great if people bothered to read. The issue isn't Johnson. He's another poor sap appointed by Lansdown who can't do what he says he wants - get Premiership football

48 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Surely you can grasp the reference? Argentina are a great footballing nation having won the World Cup twice? 

You put it as though he did something incredible it that role. Just because you manage someone big or famous is not an indication of brilliance. Argentina, far from winning the WC, were knocked out in the group stage which was their worst ever finish at a WC (except for not qualifying in 1970). 

As I put, he is wildly over rated and erratic. Totally unsuitable for us in nearly every way as well as unrealistic. The suggestion was ludicrous. 

47 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

You put it as though he did something incredible it that role. Just because you manage someone big or famous is not an indication of brilliance. Argentina, far from winning the WC, were knocked out in the group stage which was their worst ever finish at a WC (except for not qualifying in 1970). 

As I put, he is wildly over rated and erratic. Totally unsuitable for us in nearly every way as well as unrealistic. The suggestion was ludicrous. 

Still missing the point.

If Argentina appoint him manager then he must more than have something?  I did not say he had done incredibly in the role in the world cup,?however you missed the fact that Argentina won the Olympic games gold medal under him in 2004. He transformed the Chilean national side and was treated like a hero there.

I don't now how you are defining erratic. Leeds have lost form recently but they haven't been erratic eg losing one then winning one etcc..have they. They remain in automatic promotion position in Bielsa's second season. Gaurdiola says he is the best coach in the world and he should know what he is on about?

How can you say he is unsuitable for us? How do you know that? Says a lot about the parochialism of some City fans if they are frightened of someone like Bielsa. Lack of imagination and ambition. If you check out what Spazzo has said about him in this thread you will find that the claims of him and his team costing astronomical amounts are very exaggerated.

I'll tell you what is ludicrous - Lansdown making the managerial appointments he has while saying he wants Premiership football 

I’m not missing the point at all. 

Im not really sure what winning Olympics in football means - I certainly wouldn’t put any significance against it as it’s mostly u23s. He failed at the big one. One thing you could say is he better at nurturing young talent which is certainly true at Leeds. 

The Chilean thing was ok - he did as badly as he did well from what I can see. What is more relevant is his roles before Leeds where he didn’t last more than a year. In fact 1.5 years at Leeds is a minor miracle.

The erratic thing is simple - his 3 jobs before Leeds should tell you a lot about how hard he is to have at a club. Certainly wouldn’t fit into the sustainable strategy city has - which i believe is the right way to go and therefore he is totally unsuitable. He would cost way more than we would be looking at. 

Lansdown is not Ludicrous at all - he has tried various types of managers including Coppell who has got teams into the Prem. It is quite often young and upcoming managers that get teams into the prem - I have no issue with the LJ appointment especially when he has improved us to the extent he has over his tenure. It may be time to review it and move LJ on but on the whole the club has moved forward and sustainably. I wouldn’t want City going back on all that progress altho appointment someone like Bielsa who is either boom or bust (bust in his last 5 years). The ambition is clearly there and if the right move is correct we could easily be in the prem soon. 

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Someone else being sarcy instead of using their imagination. Why is the thought of BCFC actually achieving something so frightening to you?

It was not my intention to be sarcy at all, it was just my recollection that you had suggested before that we could have got Benitez. By all means correct me if my memory is faulty.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’m not missing the point at all. 

Im not really sure what winning Olympics in football means - I certainly wouldn’t put any significance against it as it’s mostly u23s. He failed at the big one. One thing you could say is he better at nurturing young talent which is certainly true at Leeds. 

The Chilean thing was ok - he did as badly as he did well from what I can see. What is more relevant is his roles before Leeds where he didn’t last more than a year. In fact 1.5 years at Leeds is a minor miracle.

The erratic thing is simple - his 3 jobs before Leeds should tell you a lot about how hard he is to have at a club. Certainly wouldn’t fit into the sustainable strategy city has - which i believe is the right way to go and therefore he is totally unsuitable. He would cost way more than we would be looking at. 

Lansdown is not Ludicrous at all - he has tried various types of managers including Coppell who has got teams into the Prem. It is quite often young and upcoming managers that get teams into the prem - I have no issue with the LJ appointment especially when he has improved us to the extent he has over his tenure. It may be time to review it and move LJ on but on the whole the club has moved forward and sustainably. I wouldn’t want City going back on all that progress altho appointment someone like Bielsa who is either boom or bust (bust in his last 5 years). The ambition is clearly there and if the right move is correct we could easily be in the prem soon. 

1) Chile, led them to a first World Cup in 8 years, got to the last 16 and was so popular they wanted to keep him, he left as they appointed a president of football he didn’t like, pre-warned them beforehand he’d leave if he got the job.

2) Sustainable strategy? Do you know what the actual words mean?

He has SOLD more players and brought in MORE money in transfers than he has spent....

The U18s and U23s have undergone a huge transformation and won both their respective leagues last year.

Im not sure what part of the above is anything other than sustainable.

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

It was not my intention to be sarcy at all, it was just my recollection that you had suggested before that we could have got Benitez. By all means correct me if my memory is faulty.

Okay mate apologies. Nuances are sometimes more than difficult on here. But yes when we are an established Premiership Club Benitez could well be in the running for the job. After all if our owner were to to emulate the status of Hargreaves Lansdown, as the largest private investor platform in the Uk, in football terms, we would be a top 6 Premiership side. We are after all in the top eight cities in England. Just takes the imagination and will of the owner and the rest of the Club hierarchy. Liverpool has about the same population as Bristol and has 2 football Clubs both in the Premiership and one of them is doing rather well.

At the moment BCFC is SL's plaything IMO. 

I'm truly dismayed when our fans don't believe that what I am describing is possible. If I had assets of nigh on 2 billion quid I would do it.

Dave Whelan brought Premiership football to a city with a population of 100,000 making it the 94th largest in England.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

At that time he wouldn't have met your criteria though.

Out of interest, if Johnson left today - who would you want to see us target? Realistic suggestions

I'll take your question seriously if you consider my response seriously okay?

Realistic - a heavily charged word in this matter my friend. Realist to who? The fans? You, me and then the small matter of SL

If I'm being truly realistic I have to anticipate what SL would want - he's our benefactor but also our greatest obstacle .

So unless things have changed for SL it would be (with all due respect to them) run of the mill lower Championship and below, not too expensive men with mediocre coaching team who won't stick their neck out with SL. (Look what happened to Steve Cotterill)

As far as I am concerned if we are being serious about Premier League football then firstly as regards homegrown possibilities it would be Alex Neil, took Norwich up. Again this is a truly realistic target but would he be cosy enough for SL? He also wouldn't take any interference. Then pitching it higher - Walter Mazzara, did okay with undistinguished players at Watford , then up again Mauricio Pellegrino, Argentinian, managed right across Europe, Rafa's assistant. The last two have the contacts to attract high quality foreign players.They wouldn't be cheap. But who would make that a priority in these matters? We should be spending millions on a superb managerial/coaching set-up IMO before we spend any more millions on players.

Thing is  before you consider these men, and Neil would be a conservative appointment, you first have to ask lots of questions about our owner and the set-up at BCFC. 

Unless SL has had a fairly significant change of mind he will not surrender sufficient control and he will continue to interfere where he has insufficient knowledge.

What is he? Owner, Chairman (the fiasco in the negotiations to get McInnes), chief scout ( David James). Director of football (Coppell and James)

If SL is able to relinquish control then he would have to sell the enormous potential of BCFC with a catchment area of over a million people and then the candidate would have their demands. Would he meet them?????

19 hours ago, chinapig said:

Fair comment about Klopp and Guardiola but Bielsa has never managed a club as big as the ones they have. I suspect he is too eccentric an individual for the truly big clubs to take on!

His Bilbao side was possibly the most exciting to watch I have seen though.

I wonder if he is also too stubborn. I believe he is against rotating his team and likes to work with small squads? 

Would be great to see him at a real big club though. 

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'll take your question seriously if you consider my response seriously okay?

Realistic - a heavily charged word in this matter my friend. Realist to who? The fans? You, me and then the small matter of SL

If I'm being truly realistic I have to anticipate what SL would want - he's our benefactor but also our greatest obstacle .

So unless things have changed for SL it would be (with all due respect to them) run of the mill lower Championship and below, not too expensive men with mediocre coaching team who won't stick their neck out with SL. (Look what happened to Steve Cotterill)

As far as I am concerned if we are being serious about Premier League football then firstly as regards homegrown possibilities it would be Alex Neil, took Norwich up. Again this is a truly realistic target but would he be cosy enough for SL? He also wouldn't take any interference. Then pitching it higher - Walter Mazzara, did okay with undistinguished players at Watford , then up again Mauricio Pellegrino, Argentinian, managed right across Europe, Rafa's assistant. The last two have the contacts to attract high quality foreign players.They wouldn't be cheap. But who would make that a priority in these matters? We should be spending millions on a superb managerial/coaching set-up IMO before we spend any more millions on players.

Thing is  before you consider these men, and Neil would be a conservative appointment, you first have to ask lots of questions about our owner and the set-up at BCFC. 

Unless SL has had a fairly significant change of mind he will not surrender sufficient control and he will continue to interfere where he has insufficient knowledge.

What is he? Owner, Chairman (the fiasco in the negotiations to get McInnes), chief scout ( David James). Director of football (Coppell and James)

If SL is able to relinquish control then he would have to sell the enormous potential of BCFC with a catchment area of over a million people and then the candidate would have their demands. Would he meet them?????

Well considered post. I don't necessarily agree with all of it but at least you've given it time and thought.

I think though we might well go for someone like Alex Neil if Johnson goes - depending on how Preston are getting on of course.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I just want to know how @southvillekiddy’s cat is recovering. 
And what’s on the menu for this Sunday. Have you done your weekly shop already or will you pop to Asda Bemmy on Sunday morning for some fresh meat? 

Much better thankyou. Sticking some fake fur back on and trying to match the colour with car spray.

Not sure about Sunday. Spoilt for choice up here in Holloway. Aldi just opened up by Archway tube, amazing value but theese casn't park nearby mind. Oops sorry about that. Slip in and out of it when I least expect it.

Thing that's heartened me a lot about OTIB is that if you keep going you can easily burn off (oopps) the casual contributors, like that bloke Harry, who don't really read what you have written. They just see the buzz words like "manager" (oopps) and think you must be talking about the particular rather than the general situation, which is very much where I am at. When you've burnt off the casual buggers you can have some serious debate with people like Phileas Fogg, Mr Popodopolous, BobBobSuperBob and tin, plus we had it straight from Elland Road with Spazza.The fact the thread has kept going for 4 pages means that something might have gone in. Hey Ho.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

How does this thread have four pages?!

The reason Bielsa went to Leeds United is simple. Leeds United are a big club with a lot of history. Bristol City aren't, and Lansdown doesn't have the money to spend to get a big-name manager to come to a small club.

Well mate. Basically I launched this thread because I believe we have everything going for us to become a big club and I believe our owner should be spending money on a big name manager rather than wasting money on mediocre staff and players. Lots of people have been interested in putting forward their ideas on this issue. I hope I'm not alone in not accepting how BCFC is and wanting it to be better. 

Archived