Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

southvillekiddy

Why didn't Lansdown appoint Bielsa?

Recommended Posts

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 13
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Unicorn 1
  • Rovers 4
  • Snake 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Do you know how much he earns? Way out of league because of the financial considerations 

So why do we waste millions on duff players?

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

there you have it. So why do we waste millions on duff players?

Who is duff? We've spent a lot less than we've sold the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

So why do we waste millions on duff players?

Because Mark Ashton is rubbish. Or because Lee Johnson is. 

It's one or the other. Hang on while I plough through the reams of stuff on who is responsible and I will get back to you. With the answer.

Once and for all.

 

 

 

 

 

(I think it's Ashton now, though. Probably )

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you envious of Leeds’ 1 win in the last 7 league games..? Or is that ok, because he’s not called LJ..?! 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you envious of Leeds’ 1 win in the last 7 league games..? Or is that ok, because he’s not called LJ..?! 

I've got little time for Leeds, their attitude, their fans , their coppers etc.. after an experience at Elland Road but I do admire them for having the guts to hire Bielsa

I keep saying Johnson isn't really the issue. He's another wrong person appointed by our owner.

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Do you know how much he earns? Way out of league because of the financial considerations 

£4 million a year

A fair few players here will be earning £1 million pa

Take away LJs wages and lose 3 out of bloated squad".........

 

Im not saying Bielsa for example should have been targeted , but to say he’s unaffordable is nonsense 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

The two issues are not mutually exclusive. Today's internationally acclaimed managers demand big budgets. You may as well argue why don't we appoint Mourinho or Guardiola. 

Bielsa, for all of his supposed genius (I remain to be convinced) is also a massive risk. He may get the desired result as a manager, but he's just as likely to walk out after a fortnight. For all their pretty football he will be a failure if he doesn't get Leeds promoted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and while we're at it, Lansdown should have also bought Messi, Kane, Ronaldo, DeBruyne & Aguero if he was serious.

Edited by cider hoss rules
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I've got little time for Leeds, their attitude, their fans , their coppers etc.. after an experience at Elland Road but I do admire them for having the guts to hire Bielsa

I keep saying Johnson isn't really the issue. He's another wrong person appointed by our owner.

Guts will count for nothing if he doesn't get them promoted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bielsa would've never heard of Bristol City before moving to Leeds. For a long period of time, he's been considered one of the best coaches in the world which has been cited by both Guardiola and Pochettino. It may surprise a few on here but languishing outside the top flight for 40 years has a bit of an impact on our ability to attract footballing greats. 

I'm not sure if the initial post was a joke but this thread is embarrassing. 

  • Like 15
  • Flames 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Bielsa would've never heard of Bristol City before moving to Leeds. For a long period of time, he's been considered one of the best coaches in the world which has been cited by both Guardiola and Pochettino. It may surprise a few on here but languishing outside the top flight for 40 years has a bit of an impact on our ability to attract footballing greats. 

I'm not sure if the initial post was a joke but this thread is embarrassing. 

It wasn't a joke mate. I can't believe that Hargreaves/ Lansdown got where they are by thinking small

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could afford Bielsa.....however he would bring a huge backroom team and demand a level of control and direction that would probably make MA redundant and SL uneasy. Didnt he demand the building of a hotel next to the ground so players could sleep there.

As for Leeds they are pretty skint in terms of transfer fees....they can afford the wages but not the fee so opposite position to us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely our fans would be calling for his head by now after the way they fell away last season and currently on a run of 1 win in 7

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lez said:

We could afford Bielsa.....however he would bring a huge backroom team and demand a level of control and direction that would probably make MA redundant and SL uneasy. Didnt he demand the building of a hotel next to the ground so players could sleep there.

As for Leeds they are pretty skint in terms of transfer fees....they can afford the wages but not the fee so opposite position to us.

This what I believe and if it is the case we are truly stuck in the mud with SL as our owner

Some of us believe we should thank ourselves lucky for having a football Club, while others amongst us think we are massively underachieving under the present regime

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

Some Daily Mail levels of number changing going on with OTIB this last week.

I'm sure it was 50 players at the beginning of the week, and now we are up to 60!

A bit like Harry and Megan with their 2.9mil, no, sorry 7.5mil annual security costs! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

It wasn't a joke mate. I can't believe that Hargreaves/ Lansdown got where they are by thinking small

But you've chosen a single appointment in football when there's 950 professional clubs in Europe and 949 of them have 'thought small' too. It's easy to know the right thing to do with hindsight. It's similar to me saying that I thought small when I didn't create Amazon in the late 90s, it's a ridiculous argument. I'm not exactly enthused by this season but I think some of the drivel posted on here is embarrassing. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

Why not list them all, and then we can all comeback with a list of what we think hasn't been wasted, and then compare if he has indeed wasted millions or if he is in profit overall?? That is all that matters as EVERY single club in the football league buy players who turn out to do nothing for them and considered a waste of money.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Why not list them all, and then we can all comeback with a list of what we think hasn't been wasted, and then compare if he has indeed wasted millions or if he is in profit overall?? That is all that matters as EVERY single club in the football league buy players who turn out to do nothing for them and considered a waste of money.

 

I'll look into that mate. What's sure is that we'll find it pretty hard to remember the names of many of our signings in the last 4 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

and while we're at it, Lansdown should have also bought Messi, Kane, Ronaldo, DeBruyne & Aguero if he was serious.

I’m not so sure .....seems a bit unbalanced up top. Van dijk instead of Kane would have been more sensible

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Coppello said:

But you've chosen a single appointment in football when there's 950 professional clubs in Europe and 949 of them have 'thought small' too. It's easy to know the right thing to do with hindsight. It's similar to me saying that I thought small when I didn't create Amazon in the late 90s, it's a ridiculous argument. I'm not exactly enthused by this season but I think some of the drivel posted on here is embarrassing. 

Surely you would agree that the appointment of the Manager is the most important decision a football Club can make? What would be your job desciption be for this role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

I’m not so sure .....seems a bit unbalanced up top. Van dijk instead of Kane would have been more sensible

There are football Clubs in smaller cities than Bristol that do think in these terms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And winner of the most ridiculous thread of 2020 goes to......  

Ha ha. What a shout this is mind. 

I’m sure Bielsa was sat there, having recently managed Argentina, Marseille & Lazio, thinking “why hasn’t that Lansdown chap from Bristol City asked me if I want to take Bristol City to glory”. 
 

Until Bielsa arrived at Leeds, he probably had very little knowledge of the English 2nd division, let alone a club that hasn’t seen top flight football since he was a 25 year old youth coach in a northwest province of Argentina. 
 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

Leeds are a massive club, far bigger than us - probably top 10 in England in terms of club size. That alone is a huge pull. He may not have even known we exist before his time at Leeds.

Also - he's exactly the sort of character Lansdown clearly doesn't want. A bit of a maverick who won't play it safe, and he doesn't stick around too long either. Historically only a couple of seasons.

He's exactly the sort of manager Lansdown doesn't actively target. A very exciting appointment for Leeds though.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you envious of Leeds’ 1 win in the last 7 league games..? Or is that ok, because he’s not called LJ..?! 

Absolutely spot on. It's sad, this whole Johnson thing is person with some of our fans, but let's not let's simple facts like this affect the bashing and name calling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Surely you would agree that the appointment of the Manager is the most important decision a football Club can make? What would be your job desciption be for this role.

Yeah but you would've have identified him before Leeds did - apologies if you have but I haven't gone through your posting history to check your suggestions. Secondly, you would be hard pushed to attract him here given his credentials and the reputation of our club on the world stage. 

Out of interest, who is the next Bielsa and who would you appoint tomorrow? Just so you can reference it in the future to support your argument. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”
 

That's pretty close to what I think he should be doing. Being a Premiership Club would be a good enough. Do you think that's too ambitious?

Edited by southvillekiddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a strange thread, but the simple answer is because LJ was the manager at the time Leeds appointed Bielsa, and despite this bizarre negativity, was and still is, actually doing a very good job as City manager.

You don't replace someone actually doing the job they are employed to do to a decent standard.

  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'll look into that mate. What's sure is that we'll find it pretty hard to remember the names of many of our signings in the last 4 years

You have said he's wasted millions, surely you have the figures to back it up - I mean you wouldn't post it without knowing surely?

Webster £20 mill, Brownhill £10m+(?), Eliasson must be worth a very decent amount now and Taylor Moore will go for decent money imo. Kalas will hopefully get back to his best, Dasilva will go for a decent profit too. So I think you need to find a hell of a lot of duds outweigh those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Yeah but you would've have identified him before Leeds did - apologies if you have but I haven't gone through your posting history to check your suggestions. Secondly, you would be hard pushed to attract him here given his credentials and the reputation of our club on the world stage. 

Out of interest, who is the next Bielsa and who would you appoint tomorrow? Just so you can reference it in the future to support your argument. 

Would be comforting to believe that someone employed by BCFC is doing something along these lines 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

And winner of the most ridiculous thread of 2020 goes to......  

Ha ha. What a shout this is mind. 

I’m sure Bielsa was sat there, having recently managed Argentina, Marseille & Lazio, thinking “why hasn’t that Lansdown chap from Bristol City asked me if I want to take Bristol City to glory”. 
 

Until Bielsa arrived at Leeds, he probably had very little knowledge of the English 2nd division, let alone a club that hasn’t seen top flight football since he was a 25 year old youth coach in a northwest province of Argentina. 
 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”  

Posts like this are what Sundays were made for 😎

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Would be comforting to believe that someone employed by BCFC is doing something along these lines 

Why don’t you answer my question? I’m genuinely intrigued who you would appoint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Why don’t you answer my question? I’m genuinely intrigued who you would appoint. 

Give us a chance I've got the sunday roast on. I said I'd look into it didn't I?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

£4 million a year

A fair few players here will be earning £1 million pa

Take away LJs wages and lose 3 out of bloated squad".........

 

Im not saying Bielsa for example should have been targeted , but to say he’s unaffordable is nonsense 

Which 3 players earning £1million pa would you send packing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

So you insist we’ve “bottled” the playoffs, because of LJ but Leeds failing to go up last year wasn’t them “bottling it” ?

Also it hasn’t been called the Premiership for about 12 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

So you insist we’ve “bottled” the playoffs, because of LJ but Leeds failing to go up last year wasn’t them “bottling it” ?

Also it hasn’t been called the Premiership for about 12 years.

No I've never said that . Ashton announced that we wouldn't be going for promotion in a spectacularly ill-timed, ill-considered Christmas message that ensured that our best players would want to leave a Club with little ambition. Bielsa arrived at Leeds that season?

Can't see that calling it the Premiership or the Premier League is that crucial to any argument?

Edited by southvillekiddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Give us a chance I've got the sunday roast on. I said I'd look into it didn't I?

We need answers now mate, the club isn’t going to run itself. 

If Maggie Instagrammed a photo of Steve stuffing a chicken he’d be criticised for not putting his all into running the club. The comments would be full of people criticising his choice of poultry and where it was farmed ‘why are you shopping in Waitrose when you can get more for your money in European Aldi’ and ‘we don’t need a chicken, we need a goose’. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1
  • Unicorn 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

We need answers now mate, the club isn’t going to run itself. 

If Maggie Instagrammed a photo of Steve stuffing a chicken he’d be criticised for not putting his all into running the club. The comments would be full of people criticising his choice of poultry and where it was farmed ‘why are you shopping in Waitrose when you can get more for your money in European Aldi’ and ‘we don’t need a chicken, we need a goose’. 

Made I laugh mate. Everybody's so serious on here. It's only a game after all?

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Give us a chance I've got the sunday roast on. I said I'd look into it didn't I?

Are you the right man to be cooking a Sunday Roast?
 

Shouldn’t you be employing someone with a better reputation as a chef?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

Are you the right man to be cooking a Sunday Roast?
 

Shouldn’t you be employing someone with a better reputation as a chef?

Dropped me fat baster laughing at that one mate. Think I got the cat.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Dropped me fat baster laughing at that one mate. Think I got the cat.

Well at least you managed one shot on target ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

No I've never said that . Ashton announced that we wouldn't be going for promotion in a spectacularly ill-timed, ill-considered Christmas messaged  that ensured that our best players would want to leave a Club with little ambition. Bielsa arrived at Leeds that season?

Can't see that calling it the Premiership or the Premier League is that crucial to any argument?

Here is what Ashton actually said 

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

Edited February 27, 2018 by BRISTOL86
  •  
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'll look into that mate. What's sure is that we'll find it pretty hard to remember the names of many of our signings in the last 4 years

So you made up that number of 60? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...