Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Why didn't Lansdown appoint Bielsa?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

Leeds are a massive club, far bigger than us - probably top 10 in England in terms of club size. That alone is a huge pull. He may not have even known we exist before his time at Leeds.

Also - he's exactly the sort of character Lansdown clearly doesn't want. A bit of a maverick who won't play it safe, and he doesn't stick around too long either. Historically only a couple of seasons.

He's exactly the sort of manager Lansdown doesn't actively target. A very exciting appointment for Leeds though.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you envious of Leeds’ 1 win in the last 7 league games..? Or is that ok, because he’s not called LJ..?! 

Absolutely spot on. It's sad, this whole Johnson thing is person with some of our fans, but let's not let's simple facts like this affect the bashing and name calling. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Surely you would agree that the appointment of the Manager is the most important decision a football Club can make? What would be your job desciption be for this role.

Yeah but you would've have identified him before Leeds did - apologies if you have but I haven't gone through your posting history to check your suggestions. Secondly, you would be hard pushed to attract him here given his credentials and the reputation of our club on the world stage. 

Out of interest, who is the next Bielsa and who would you appoint tomorrow? Just so you can reference it in the future to support your argument. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”
 

That's pretty close to what I think he should be doing. Being a Premiership Club would be a good enough. Do you think that's too ambitious?

Edited by southvillekiddy
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a strange thread, but the simple answer is because LJ was the manager at the time Leeds appointed Bielsa, and despite this bizarre negativity, was and still is, actually doing a very good job as City manager.

You don't replace someone actually doing the job they are employed to do to a decent standard.

  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'll look into that mate. What's sure is that we'll find it pretty hard to remember the names of many of our signings in the last 4 years

You have said he's wasted millions, surely you have the figures to back it up - I mean you wouldn't post it without knowing surely?

Webster £20 mill, Brownhill £10m+(?), Eliasson must be worth a very decent amount now and Taylor Moore will go for decent money imo. Kalas will hopefully get back to his best, Dasilva will go for a decent profit too. So I think you need to find a hell of a lot of duds outweigh those. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Yeah but you would've have identified him before Leeds did - apologies if you have but I haven't gone through your posting history to check your suggestions. Secondly, you would be hard pushed to attract him here given his credentials and the reputation of our club on the world stage. 

Out of interest, who is the next Bielsa and who would you appoint tomorrow? Just so you can reference it in the future to support your argument. 

Would be comforting to believe that someone employed by BCFC is doing something along these lines 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

And winner of the most ridiculous thread of 2020 goes to......  

Ha ha. What a shout this is mind. 

I’m sure Bielsa was sat there, having recently managed Argentina, Marseille & Lazio, thinking “why hasn’t that Lansdown chap from Bristol City asked me if I want to take Bristol City to glory”. 
 

Until Bielsa arrived at Leeds, he probably had very little knowledge of the English 2nd division, let alone a club that hasn’t seen top flight football since he was a 25 year old youth coach in a northwest province of Argentina. 
 

“Hi Marcelo. It’s Steve. I’ve got a lot of money and want to make Bristol City the best club in the world. How do fancy having a crack at getting us out of the bottom half of the championship”. 
“The what? What is this championship of which you speak?, Bristol who? Steve? Have we met before?”  

Posts like this are what Sundays were made for 😎

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Would be comforting to believe that someone employed by BCFC is doing something along these lines 

Why don’t you answer my question? I’m genuinely intrigued who you would appoint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

£4 million a year

A fair few players here will be earning £1 million pa

Take away LJs wages and lose 3 out of bloated squad".........

 

Im not saying Bielsa for example should have been targeted , but to say he’s unaffordable is nonsense 

Which 3 players earning £1million pa would you send packing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

So you insist we’ve “bottled” the playoffs, because of LJ but Leeds failing to go up last year wasn’t them “bottling it” ?

Also it hasn’t been called the Premiership for about 12 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

So you insist we’ve “bottled” the playoffs, because of LJ but Leeds failing to go up last year wasn’t them “bottling it” ?

Also it hasn’t been called the Premiership for about 12 years.

No I've never said that . Ashton announced that we wouldn't be going for promotion in a spectacularly ill-timed, ill-considered Christmas message that ensured that our best players would want to leave a Club with little ambition. Bielsa arrived at Leeds that season?

Can't see that calling it the Premiership or the Premier League is that crucial to any argument?

Edited by southvillekiddy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Give us a chance I've got the sunday roast on. I said I'd look into it didn't I?

We need answers now mate, the club isn’t going to run itself. 

If Maggie Instagrammed a photo of Steve stuffing a chicken he’d be criticised for not putting his all into running the club. The comments would be full of people criticising his choice of poultry and where it was farmed ‘why are you shopping in Waitrose when you can get more for your money in European Aldi’ and ‘we don’t need a chicken, we need a goose’. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

We need answers now mate, the club isn’t going to run itself. 

If Maggie Instagrammed a photo of Steve stuffing a chicken he’d be criticised for not putting his all into running the club. The comments would be full of people criticising his choice of poultry and where it was farmed ‘why are you shopping in Waitrose when you can get more for your money in European Aldi’ and ‘we don’t need a chicken, we need a goose’. 

Made I laugh mate. Everybody's so serious on here. It's only a game after all?

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Give us a chance I've got the sunday roast on. I said I'd look into it didn't I?

Are you the right man to be cooking a Sunday Roast?
 

Shouldn’t you be employing someone with a better reputation as a chef?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

No I've never said that . Ashton announced that we wouldn't be going for promotion in a spectacularly ill-timed, ill-considered Christmas messaged  that ensured that our best players would want to leave a Club with little ambition. Bielsa arrived at Leeds that season?

Can't see that calling it the Premiership or the Premier League is that crucial to any argument?

Here is what Ashton actually said 

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

Edited February 27, 2018 by BRISTOL86
  •  
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Here is what Ashton actually said 

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

Edited February 27, 2018 by BRISTOL86
  •  

How dare you use facts and corrects quotes to correct people who make up things to use against LJ and management.

That is not how this forum works at all.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

It wasn't a joke mate. I can't believe that Hargreaves/ Lansdown got where they are by thinking small

There's a difference between thinking big and throwing money around like its free, they didn't get where they are by waisting money. You can't fake it till you make it above league 1, you need the infrastructure to support the players and we simply don't have that right now but will in a couple years. 

All good businessmen have to see something worth investing in before even starting to weigh up the pro's and con's of investment of there substantial but still limited resources. I believe even though we made a profit SL has still invested the maximum amount possible to ensure we are cash rich but if that still puts players out of reach then we need to have something other than money to entice them. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grifty said:

How dare you use facts and corrects quotes to correct people who make up things to use against LJ and management.

That is not how this forum works at all.

Surely OTIB rules are like ffp, there's loophole there if you look for it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Here is what Ashton actually said 

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

Edited February 27, 2018 by BRISTOL86
  •  

In my view this was a kick in the privates to a team that had fairly recently beat Man U and the consequence was that all the stuffing went out of them and 3 of our best decided to leave. If they had bought into what Ashton was saying they would have stayed believing that Bristol City were truly ambitious about Premiership football. I've said before that Clubs with a stronger pedigree than ours would have have given almost everything to be in our position at the time. It was a fallacy on Ashton's part to imply that you can choose when you are going for promotion. If the chance arises as it had for us you have to go for it and we had the team IMO. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grifty said:

How dare you use facts and corrects quotes to correct people who make up things to use against LJ and management.

That is not how this forum works at all.

Look carefully it's Lansdown I'm having a pop at, not Johnson. Check out the bigger picture please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

You do realise that while being one of the favourites for relegation that £10m-£15m players don’t want to sign for you, don’t you?

So you have to work to your budget & to the players that are willing to join that club! Remember when Cotts had big bids put in for Gayle & Grey? How did they get on playing for one of the relegation favourites? Oh yeah, they didn’t want to sign so we ended up with players that were willing to join us! That’s why we have a huge turnover of players because players that were willing to join one of the relegation favourites aren’t good enough going forward to a mid-table team & then one that a large amount of the fan base thinks that we should be pushing for the play-offs / promotion.

The club has massively progressed over the last 4 years, both on & off the pitch & as a result the quality of players has to progress as well & it is & this is why we’re struggling a bit to bring players in now because we now need players that are able to play in the Premier League but while we’re not paying the greatest in terms of wages, it means that any players that are properly known are less likely to want to join us because they can get a better personal deal elsewhere, that isn’t Johnson’s fault, that’s the thing we are dealing with, with not having any Premier League history or the finances that go with it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Instead of wasting millions signing 60 odd players most of whom turn out to be average to poor why doesn't our owner/chairman spend a significant part of that money where it will really count on an internationally acclaimed manager?

Seems to be working for one of our competitors for promotion to the Premiership

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-good-bad-leeds-14748371

 

 

Just out of interest Kiddy, have you looked at the form table for the last 6 games?

Given that it's our last 6 games or so that have everyone frustrated currently.

We could be in the midst of a 'why did Lansdown appoint Biesla and not go with a proven Championship manager like that Mark Bowen, don't forget he was caretaker manager at QPR before to had a crack at Reading'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...