Liverpool v Man Utd

Robbored

51 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He’s one of those half n half scarf Bristolians 

Sorry ...... it’s actually more complicated than that 

........he’s had to have a custom one, a thirds scarf

Liverpool / Rovers / City 

?

Just as well we didn’t get to play them then.....he would have been cheering inside every time Liverpool scored.

I used to like Carragher but lately hes really pissing me off. Not good enough to win a league title himself but recently he has been very smug and condescending. He said after the game today "that was the best result United could have hoped for today" Man City need to get their act together again next season to shut people like him up. 

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I used to like Carragher but lately hes really pissing me off. Not good enough to win a league title himself but recently he has been very smug and condescending. He said after the game today "that was the best result United could have hoped for today" Man City need to get their act together again next season to shut people like him up. 

Did anyone actually think United would get a result?

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Think, expect, no. But was it possible? Of course it was, especially in a derbyish type game. They had previously got a result against them so it wasnt out of the question and I just found Carraghers comments that the best United could have hoped for was a 2nil defeat a bit out of order. He needs to remember when United were winning everything, he was in many Liverpool sides that were much much poorer than this current United side.

30 minutes ago, Super said:

With just a one goal lead any team is vulnerable. An error or poor refereeing decision can led to conceding a goal and that could have happened at Anfield. Fortunately Salah’s late strike sealed the win.

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With just a one goal lead any team is vulnerable. An error or poor refereeing decision can led to conceding a goal and that could have happened at Anfield. Fortunately Salah’s late strike sealed the win.

You amaze me at times...

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

So even if the points difference remains the same, Liverpool will will the title with 5 games to spare. Is that right?

Yeah, Liverpool won't let up though the earlier they win the title the more changes they can make at the back end of the season if they're still in the champions league

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yeah, Liverpool won't let up though the earlier they win the title the more changes they can make at the back end of the season if they're still in the champions league

I suppose they’ll be in a position to field a ‘weaker’ team against a team in say 5th or 6th that may still be in with a shout of claiming 4th place ahead of teams like Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal etc.

If they wanted to of course.

I suppose they’ll be in a position to field a ‘weaker’ team against a team in say 5th or 6th that may still be in with a shout of claiming 4th place ahead of teams like Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal etc.

Very insightful RLL.............or should I say very insightful Captain Obvious?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The Arsenal invincibles under Wenger with the likes of Vieira, Parlour, Adams, Dixon, Henry were the best PL footballing side of them all.

Liverpool aren’t quite as impressive but currently a very close second.

This is a lot of bollocks, I Couldn’t give a flying fck about Liverpool unlike some on here but they are way above that Arsenal team.

28 minutes ago, BCFC-Tom said:

This is a lot of bollocks, I Couldn’t give a flying fck about Liverpool unlike some on here but they are way above that Arsenal team.

BCFC-Tom are you even old enough to have watched and appreciated that Arsenal team?  Your choice of name suggests maybe not. Apologies if you are old enough.

10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

BCFC-Tom are you even old enough to have watched and appreciated that Arsenal team?  Your choice of name suggests maybe not. Apologies if you are old enough.

That Arsenal team of invincibles were amazing playing innovative football every game. No other team until Liverpool this season have come close. The Gunners went  49 games unbeaten.

Im guessing Tom is under 15 and not around that season of 2003/2004.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Of course, born 1991, and it’s my name, suppose you’re right to be fair I enjoyed watching Arsenal back then, guess I exaggerated a little 

31 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The only way they lose the title is if VVD and one or two others get injured. 

Think it takes even more then that, 1.5 points per game average takes Liverpool to 88 points and means City would need 41 from 45 left to beat it

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

That Arsenal team of invincibles were amazing playing innovative football every game. No other team until Liverpool this season have come close. The Gunners went  49 games unbeaten.

Im guessing Tom is under 15 and not around that season of 2003/2004.

At present, I'd go along with that. When wenger arrived. He brought with him the sport science ideals that hadn't been seen before in the prem back in the mid 90s and that invincible side were great to watch but also grounded out results where needed. Sol Campbell was a colossus that season and often gets over looked because of Vieira's midfield dominance and Henry up front. 

Put this Liverpool team against that invincibles team. Arsenal win. But if Liverpool keep going and get even win back to back champions leagues, I'd have to change my mind. That is something arsenal never did. They should have done that unbeaten year but Chelsea knocked them out and all the other "big guns" went out early too. That was the year that Porto under mourinho won and the semi finalists that year were them, Chelsea, Monaco and deportivo. 

12 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

The Liverpool love in by some on here is cringe.

I don't remember it being classed as "cringe" when we had a "love in" by many more on here for Pep's tippy tappy team over recent seasons. Perhaps one or two go a bit far in their love in, but for many I'm sure they just admire and appreciate a fantastic team - which is what Liverpool is right now.

Was talking to a friend of mine, who is a lifelong Liverpool fan, and he thinks this is the best Liverpool team he's seen. Bearing in mind that includes the teams from the 70s and 80s that's praise indeed. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I don't remember it being classed as "cringe" when we had a "love in" by many more on here for Pep's tippy tappy team over recent seasons. Perhaps one or two go a bit far in their love in, but for many I'm sure they just admire and appreciate a fantastic team - which is what Liverpool is right now.

Was talking to a friend of mine, who is a lifelong Liverpool fan, and he thinks this is the best Liverpool team he's seen. Bearing in mind that includes the teams from the 70s and 80s that's praise indeed. 

Reference the last paragraph. Choosing and comparisons between teams from different eras is very difficult.

I would say that the Liverpool's of the 70's & 80's were based on a solid defence with hard working midfield's and a top notch goalscorer.

This side is, IMO, not defensively as secure. They continually offer more decent chances to almost all opponents than the sides did when Hansen et all were playing. Yet amazingly, they do not concede many to any other team.

Where they appear to me as better than previous is the clinical attack of three aided superbly by both full backs and midfield.

I support Bristol City but throughout my life I have admired any football club that plays the game in the way this Liverpool side is doing now.

Wolves and Man U in the 1950's.

Spurs, Real and Benfica in the 60's.

Liverpool and Forest 70/80's

Arsenal and Man U 90's.

I'll leave the last twenty years to the youngsters.

2 hours ago, The Batman said:

At present, I'd go along with that. When wenger arrived. He brought with him the sport science ideals that hadn't been seen before in the prem back in the mid 90s and that invincible side were great to watch but also grounded out results where needed. Sol Campbell was a colossus that season and often gets over looked because of Vieira's midfield dominance and Henry up front. 

Put this Liverpool team against that invincibles team. Arsenal win. But if Liverpool keep going and get even win back to back champions leagues, I'd have to change my mind. That is something arsenal never did. They should have done that unbeaten year but Chelsea knocked them out and all the other "big guns" went out early too. That was the year that Porto under mourinho won and the semi finalists that year were them, Chelsea, Monaco and deportivo. 

Arsenal would get run off their feet.

Liverpool's players are outliers in physical performance. Players now do 2km a game more. Liverpool do more again.

Archived