IGNORED

Stop saying we were unlucky with Afobe's injury

Boston Red

We weren't.

All through the summer 2019 transfer window, everyone knew we needed a striker.

We hung on desperately for Nketiah until the last minute.

He went to Leeds.

The clock was running down.

We were seriously desperate.

We turned to Benik Afobe.

There was a reason we hadn't signed him earlier.

A reason Stoke were prepared to get rid of him.

A reason no-one else had signed him.

Because he was injury prone.

Guess what?

He got injured.

It is not some cruel twist of fate that has unexpectedly struck Bristol City Football Club and wiped out our season. It is what happens when you sign injury prone players. They get injured. It was our own bad planning and our own poor activity in the summer transfer window that led us to place all our hope in an injury prone player in a desperation last minute signing. Yes, Afobe looked good for us, and it was a cruel blow. But we should not have been placing our entire season's hopes on him.

Also, the Kasey Palmer-Benik Afobe link up play is becoming seriously exaggerated on here. People are making it sound like Dalglish-Rush, or Lineker-Beardsley. Afobe scored three goals for us, and none of them were assisted by Palmer (1 Weimann v QPR, 1 Rowe v Hull penalty, 1 Hunt v Hull). Yes, Palmer played Afobe through for three one on ones v Birmingham, which he all missed. But I think the opposition would have got wise to it as the season progressed. 

Yes, Afobe was looking like a great signing, and yes, we are missing him. But we should never have been placing all our hopes in one injury prone striker signed at the last minute. 

Will the club learn from its mistakes and sign a proper striker in January? We watch and wait. 

I don't think Afobe had an unusual history of injuries did he?

It's fair to level criticism at Ashton for betting the farm on Nketiah and losing (twice FFS!) but Afobe was a very good signing.

Had he not been injured I think we'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

What is looking harder and harder to excuse is being three weeks into the window with no ******* striker in.

36 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

We weren't.

He went to Leeds.

Guess what?

He got injured.

It is not some cruel twist of fate that has unexpectedly struck Bristol City Football Club and wiped out our season. It is what happens when you sign injury prone players. They get injured. It was our own bad planning and our own poor activity in the summer transfer window that led us to place all our hope in an injury prone player in a desperation last minute signing. Yes, Afobe looked good for us, and it was a cruel blow. But we should not have been placing our entire season's hopes on him.

Also, the Kasey Palmer-Benik Afobe link up play is becoming seriously exaggerated on here. People are making it sound like Dalglish-Rush, or Lineker-Beardsley. Afobe scored three goals for us, and none of them were assisted by Palmer (1 Weimann v QPR, 1 Rowe v Hull penalty, 1 Hunt v Hull). Yes, Palmer played Afobe through for three one on ones v Birmingham, which he all missed. But I think the opposition would have got wise to it as the season progressed. 

Yes, Afobe was looking like a great signing, and yes, we are missing him. But we should never have been placing all our hopes in one injury prone striker signed at the last minute. 

Will the club learn from its mistakes and sign a proper striker in January? We watch and wait. 

Doubt we’ll sign a proven goal scorer in January. I don’t see clubs around the globe selling assets like that halfway through the season.

how do you know we weren’t looking at  several options for centre forwards?

its not championship manager 

34 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

It’s called negotiation - until a player makes their choice then it’s over  

Afobe

Because we were after Eddie?

Yes, Afobe looked good for us, and it was a cruel blow. 

So, getting Adobe in was a good fit then after missing out on our primary target who turned us down!

Just gave you a few answers to your questions to help you sleep tonight. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Doubt we’ll sign a proven goal scorer in January. I don’t see clubs around the globe selling assets like that halfway through the season.

Indeed, the only way we are going to get one is to pay over the odds, if we want to get someone in we are going to have to chuck 15 odd million to get either Grant from Huddersfield or Tony from Peterborough. 

The only striker I can think of who will be available for a non rediculous fee might be Leon Clarke from Sheff U, but I don't know if he's injured or not at the moment. 

Where does the narrative that we wanted Nketia and didn't investigate anything else until he turned us down for Leeds come from?

Where does the story of us being desperate and having to get Benik in almost as a second choice come from? 

I seriously expect that we were trying to sign both and got one. For 1 Benik is an excellent striker at this level and wouldn't be second string to anyone. It's all very different to the all the eggs in one basket, crap we've dropped the basket type stories I see semi regularly on here. It's almost as if people dont want to accept/know how professional the football club has become.

One thing has been assumed that is not safe to assume... it seems to be taken for granted that he would have continued his fine form all season. Why?

Did Nagy continue his fine early form? Did Massengo? Hunt had a great spell early on, where have his pin-point crosses gone?

Had Afobe stayed fit, we might have kept our good form. Or maybe we'd have still gone off the boil, him included. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

We weren't.

He went to Leeds.

Guess what?

He got injured.

176 appearances since 2015 (49 goals).

Played 46 games for Stoke since joining them in 2018.

Not exactly Darren Anderton is he. Your “injury prone” claim is easily dismissed with some quick analysis.

We were unlucky.

For us to go up from this division, I cannot help thinking we are going to need good fortune - having a dream summer recruitment window, akin to 2014; our key/best players playing 40 plus league games; referees seeing things our way; opposition goalies diving the wrong way during penalty shoot-outs; teams around us unexpectedly losing to relegation certainties; Leeds Utd doing a Devon Loch for the umpteenth season in a row, etc etc - probably more luck than we are ever going to get, in reality

2 hours ago, Boston Red said:

We weren't.

He went to Leeds.

Guess what?

He got injured.

What a stupid post, if you are going to make a whole thread how a bit of thought first? Afobe doesn't have a bad injury history infact in his career he has had very few serious injuries. (Here is a link to his I jury history). 

And people are not arguing that Afobe and Palmer were some incredible revelation simply that Palmer needs a forward like Afobe (who will run in behind and has good movement in general) to be most effective. 

Definitely unlucky with Afobe getting injured,

It was a great pity we ran out of options too, but was that unlucky? Or did we not appear to be attractive enough, due to finances, coaching or whatever? Is the fact that we repeatedly fail to attract quality due to something deeper?  
The Tammy experience should have meant we would have continued to be trusted with brilliant young talent - but the Bristol City club we love is not the same place it was 2 seasons ago!

If we are going to fulfil our potential the suits in Bristol Sport have to take a good look at what is going on and act!

3 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I think it's getting to the point now that we are maybe thinking if Afobe can come back around march time that maybe we can just keep on going as we are until he returns. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

For us to go up from this division, I cannot help thinking we are going to need good fortune - having a dream summer recruitment window, akin to 2014; our key/best players playing 40 plus league games; referees seeing things our way; opposition goalies diving the wrong way during penalty shoot-outs; teams around us unexpectedly losing to relegation certainties; Leeds Utd doing a Devon Loch for the umpteenth season in a row, etc etc - probably more luck than we are ever going to get, in reality

The clubs that end up promoted/champions are always the luckiest clubs. Ok you need the quality to go along with that but if you can not have any major injuries, if you avoid dodgy officials decisions then your gonna be up there.

Just look at Man City, whilst Liverpool are having a great season, Man City have been blighted by injuries. If VVD had an injury like Laporte I dont think Liverpool would be where they currently are.

If Afobe hadn't of got injured I dont think its unrealistic to think we would have a few more points on the board and that would see us in the play offs and knocking on the door of the top 2.

Archived