IGNORED

How fast can footballers run?

Never to the dark side

I tend to sit higher up in the stands as I like the see the overview of the game, but when I sit closer to the pitch it really hits home how fast, athletic and strong the players are even at championship level. 

I’m sure many of us think, in certain situations ‘I could’ve done better than that’. But in reality if 99.9% of us were involved in a championship game for 5 minutes our heads would be absolutely spinning. 

54 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I tend to sit higher up in the stands as I like the see the overview of the game, but when I sit closer to the pitch it really hits home how fast, athletic and strong the players are even at championship level. 

I’m sure many of us think, in certain situations ‘I could’ve done better than that’. But in reality if 99.9% of us were involved in a championship game for 5 minutes our heads would be absolutely spinning. 

Bold of you to assume I would even last 5 minutes!

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

Yes and at Championship and Prem level they are also much fitter than equivalent players 15 or more years ago. 

However it is their full time job, they have all the support and science behind them and they are men in their 20s (mostly) so the only excuse for not being as fit as a racehorse is lack of application!

16 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Yes and at Championship and Prem level they are also much fitter than equivalent players 15 or more years ago. 

However it is their full time job, they have all the support and science behind them and they are men in their 20s (mostly) so the only excuse for not being as fit as a racehorse is lack of application!

Hmmm yes Lack of application , or having good skill but not the right body type/muscles be injury prone( e.g ribeiro)  or  healthy eating . Then there is their mental health too but yes other than that they have no excuse...... 

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Don't normally watch MOTD,but watch the pool v Man Utd game.

Liverpools goalkeeper reach 16.5miles per hour although the graphics showed 16.7mph

Its a little difficult to measure as you would have to define what run is. A footballers average sprint lengths are around twenty metres. The average top speed reached is 17/18 mph. Sprinting top speed is called actualisation and it is not reached till sixty metres and is rarely reached in football. Footballers can rival Olympic sprinters over forty metres Bale and Bellerin have reached speeds around 24 mph.    

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Footballers rarely run more than 50 metres at a stretch, Jay Dasilva looks very quick over 10 metres or so. I would have loved a speed camera on Ivan Sproule at times. :)

A sat-nav would have been more useful. Quick, but not always in the right direction...

1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

I Will never forget that southampton goal....?

29 minutes ago, Chivs said:

A sat-nav would have been more useful. Quick, but not always in the right direction...

Away at Leicester when he started his run we wondered where he was going, but went on to score a fantastic goal.

Hard to believe it would be matched in the same game by Cole Skuse's pile driver!

As for how fast players can run - about 100 metres in 9 seconds when there is a nice new contract to be signed. :whistle:

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Away at Leicester when he started his run we wondered where he was going, but went on to score a fantastic goal.

Hard to believe it would be matched in the same game by Cole Skuse's pile driver!

As for how fast players can run - about 100 metres in 9 seconds when there is a nice new contract to be signed. :whistle:

Ah thanks boy im so bad with my memory! He did score a goal against southampton when they went back to the prem? I seem to remember for some reason we d have weird habit of beating the top 2 then losing so called easy games... 

7 hours ago, RedSA said:

Agree, it’s so fast. And although people say you get time on the ball at the back, as soon as it goes into midfield it’s frantic.

5 hours ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

Didn't Daley Thompson play a bit of pro football? I believe he was pretty quick?.

Trial at QPR iirc and coached at Wimbledon.

Archived