Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Never to the dark side

How fast can footballers run?

A bit of online research suggest Arjen Robben Is (was) the fastest and could reach a top speed of 23mph - which if maintained, would mean a 100m time of 10.3s. 

I tend to sit higher up in the stands as I like the see the overview of the game, but when I sit closer to the pitch it really hits home how fast, athletic and strong the players are even at championship level. 

I’m sure many of us think, in certain situations ‘I could’ve done better than that’. But in reality if 99.9% of us were involved in a championship game for 5 minutes our heads would be absolutely spinning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Footballers rarely run more than 50 metres at a stretch, Jay Dasilva looks very quick over 10 metres or so. I would have loved a speed camera on Ivan Sproule at times. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

If he averaged 16.7mph over 100m, he’d run 100m in 13.4s. 

So not massively fast. 

That’s not bad wearing football boots and kit 

54 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I tend to sit higher up in the stands as I like the see the overview of the game, but when I sit closer to the pitch it really hits home how fast, athletic and strong the players are even at championship level. 

I’m sure many of us think, in certain situations ‘I could’ve done better than that’. But in reality if 99.9% of us were involved in a championship game for 5 minutes our heads would be absolutely spinning. 

Bold of you to assume I would even last 5 minutes!

• Haha 1

Hoping it didn't go unnoticed but for Salah's goal, Dan James put on a hell of a sprint to try and get back. Fair play to him, played the whole game and still put that effort in. That's the attitude that united players need, not lingard, pogba, Fred, lindelof. 

• Like 1

Gasheads ran at 25mph up North Street last time we played them!!

That means they can do 100m in 10 secs up hill.

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

Yes and at Championship and Prem level they are also much fitter than equivalent players 15 or more years ago. 

However it is their full time job, they have all the support and science behind them and they are men in their 20s (mostly) so the only excuse for not being as fit as a racehorse is lack of application!

Edited by Hare Island

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Footballers rarely run more than 50 metres at a stretch, Jay Dasilva looks very quick over 10 metres or so. I would have loved a speed camera on Ivan Sproule at times. :)

I Will never forget that southampton goal....🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Yes and at Championship and Prem level they are also much fitter than equivalent players 15 or more years ago. 

However it is their full time job, they have all the support and science behind them and they are men in their 20s (mostly) so the only excuse for not being as fit as a racehorse is lack of application!

Hmmm yes Lack of application , or having good skill but not the right body type/muscles be injury prone( e.g ribeiro)  or  healthy eating . Then there is their mental health too but yes other than that they have no excuse...... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

That’s VERY fast for backwards!

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Don't normally watch MOTD,but watch the pool v Man Utd game.

Liverpools goalkeeper reach 16.5miles per hour although the graphics showed 16.7mph

Its a little difficult to measure as you would have to define what run is. A footballers average sprint lengths are around twenty metres. The average top speed reached is 17/18 mph. Sprinting top speed is called actualisation and it is not reached till sixty metres and is rarely reached in football. Footballers can rival Olympic sprinters over forty metres Bale and Bellerin have reached speeds around 24 mph.    

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

A sat-nav would have been more useful. Quick, but not always in the right direction...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

29 minutes ago, Chivs said:

A sat-nav would have been more useful. Quick, but not always in the right direction...

Away at Leicester when he started his run we wondered where he was going, but went on to score a fantastic goal.

Hard to believe it would be matched in the same game by Cole Skuse's pile driver!

As for how fast players can run - about 100 metres in 9 seconds when there is a nice new contract to be signed. :whistle:

2 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Run Forest, run. Poor Ivan nearly ended up in the front row of the Atyeo. Luckily he remembered to score.

54 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Wasn't there a race a couple of times in the 80's where the fastest footballers would have a sprint against each other? 

Yes. I recall Wayne Fereday of QPR was a winne. 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes. I recall Wayne Fereday of QPR was a winne. 

Junior Bent was our entrant wasn't he?

Worth watching some clips of Adama Traore on youtube. The man is an absolute thunderbolt, built like a brick s***house and his finishing and ball control have come on leaps and bounds this season... And he's only 23!

16 minutes ago, boadle said:

Junior Bent was our entrant wasn't he?

Not sure, but guess what, I've just found this little gem, pre-1992 FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Sunderland:

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Away at Leicester when he started his run we wondered where he was going, but went on to score a fantastic goal.

Hard to believe it would be matched in the same game by Cole Skuse's pile driver!

As for how fast players can run - about 100 metres in 9 seconds when there is a nice new contract to be signed. :whistle:

Ah thanks boy im so bad with my memory! He did score a goal against southampton when they went back to the prem? I seem to remember for some reason we d have weird habit of beating the top 2 then losing so called easy games... 

7 hours ago, RedSA said:

Agree, it’s so fast. And although people say you get time on the ball at the back, as soon as it goes into midfield it’s frantic.

5 hours ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

Didn't Daley Thompson play a bit of pro football? I believe he was pretty quick😄.

Trial at QPR iirc and coached at Wimbledon.

8 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

7 hours ago, Southport Red said:

That’s VERY fast for backwards!

and whilst cackin' their pants !

10 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Wasn't there a race a couple of times in the 80's where the fastest footballers would have a sprint against each other? 

Was on Saint & Greavsie wasn’t it? Saturday lunchtime I think. Junior Bent was City’s entrant. COYR 

8 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Was on Saint & Greavsie wasn’t it? Saturday lunchtime I think. Junior Bent was City’s entrant. COYR 

Junior Bent - he couldn’t cross a ball to save his life, but by Christ he was quick...... Remember him playing on the wing with Jacki. Junior made acres of space for Jacki to weave his magic. Great days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

Didn't Daley Thompson play a bit of pro football? I believe he was pretty quick😄.

He was a rubbish distance runner.  I remember him jogging the 1500 metres way down the field.  Luckily by then he was almost always so far ahead on points in the decathlon that it didn’t matter.

15 hours ago, RedSA said:

Even as someone who’s played a decent non league level, it amazing how much quicker and sharper the professional game is and you only really notice it properly when your closer to the action. 

7 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Junior Bent - he couldn’t cross a ball to save his life, but by Christ he was quick...... Remember him playing on the wing with Jacki. Junior made acres of space for Jacki to weave his magic. Great days.

Dave Smith was no slouch either!

• Like 2