IGNORED

Steve Lansdown on TalkSport this morning

boadle

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think I missed the start.

Did he refer to the current FFP cases, and his thoughts on those? He's been a bit outspoken at random intervals in the last year- Spygate, ring-fencing and I heard snippets of what he said about Saracens.

Hopefully it'll be on catchup or something.

I also caught just the tail end of the interview, which was all about Rugby Union. It would have been interesting to open up the discussion about comparisons with football ffp issues, although I suspect that would be a trickier discussion. While Saracens have been caught and charged, the championship clubs , while charged, have yet to be found guilty of anything, so Steve would have been in an invidious position.

I did notice that SL sidestepped questions as to what he thought of Nigel Wray, saying he's only met him a few times and he seemed a nice chap, when what he probably wanted to say was the guys a ******* cheat. He did finish by saying that Saracens has bought the game of rugby into disrepute.

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I also caught just the tail end of the interview, which was all about Rugby Union. It would have been interesting to open up the discussion about comparisons with football ffp issues, although I suspect that would be a trickier discussion. While Saracens have been caught and charged, the championship clubs , while charged, have yet to be found guilty of anything, so Steve would have been in an invidious position.

I did notice that SL sidestepped questions as to what he thought of Nigel Wray, saying he's only met him a few times and he seemed a nice chap, when what he probably wanted to say was the guys a ******* cheat. He did finish by saying that Saracens has bought the game of rugby into disrepute.

They may well have done but look at all that lovely silverware that they have won! I’d be very surprised if Sarries are the only ones breaking any rules as well.  

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

They may well have done but look at all that lovely silverware that they have won! I’d be very surprised if Sarries are the only ones breaking any rules as well.  

Well they are because they are the only ones to be punished 

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Talk that their titles maybe stripped.

Relegate them...let's hope they have to be compliant with rules to come back up too, EFL could learn a lot.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Well they are because they are the only ones to be punished 

It’s widely accepted that plenty of clubs ‘bend the rules’ when it come to the salary cap and exploit loopholes that are there.  Maybe not to the extent of Sarries but still.  

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

Ive seen quite a few comments online that they should be stripped of titles they won during the time they were cheating.

It's also "interesting" that Sarries pleaded guilty and accepted this punishment, as to do otherwise would have meant having to open their books for investigation, the implication being that the scale of the financial cheating was greater than being suggested and might well also have resulted in historic titles being taken away.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Ive seen quite a few comments online that they should be stripped of titles they won during the time they were cheating.

It's also "interesting" that Sarries pleaded guilty and accepted this punishment, as to do otherwise would have meant having to open their books for investigation, the implication being that the scale of the financial cheating was greater than being suggested and might well also have resulted in historic titles being taken away.

Yep I completely accept they have cheated but it’s widely accepted they are not the only ones.  Doesn’t make it right at all but think they are being scapegoated currently. Will be interesting to see if other clubs are now subjected to scrutiny.  

1 hour ago, lenred said:

It’s widely accepted that plenty of clubs ‘bend the rules’ when it come to the salary cap and exploit loopholes that are there.  Maybe not to the extent of Sarries but still.  

On the European stage it isn't even hidden. The French clubs have a cap about double that of the English.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Yep I completely accept they have cheated but it’s widely accepted they are not the only ones.  Doesn’t make it right at all but think they are being scapegoated currently. Will be interesting to see if other clubs are now subjected to scrutiny.  

Accepted by who, out of interest? Any evidence?And which teams? I know the Tarquins at the wreck were the other team caught a few years ago but apart from that I’m not so sure. Just look at Saracen’s squad and it says a lot really....I speak as a Gloucester fan, for the record.

Sorry meant to quote you @steveybadger

Not sure if you watch the rugby on BT Sport but they had a section on it a week or so ago and Healey was talking about how it’s widely known that most clubs do it / have done it - whether it be buying players houses ‘off the books’,  ‘employing’ players wives etc. 

‘Four years ago, Saracens were among a number of clubs being investigated for salary cap breaches, but no action was taken because there was an acceptance more than a few were at it. The same outcome had been reached in 2010 when those abiding by the cap were found to be in a small minority.‘

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/nov/07/the-breakdown-saracens-salary-cap-breach-premiership-rugby-union

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Derby or was it Stoke, employed Tom Ince’s mum as scout for £700k pa.  True.

Tom suggested his dad, but they knew they’d never convince anyone he knew anything about football ?

It was Derby.

Big court case about it (and other financial stuff) after the CEO was sacked.

Don't remember the outcome.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Sorry meant to quote you @steveybadger

Not sure if you watch the rugby on BT Sport but they had a section on it a week or so ago and Healey was talking about how it’s widely known that most clubs do it / have done it - whether it be buying players houses ‘off the books’,  ‘employing’ players wives etc. 

‘Four years ago, Saracens were among a number of clubs being investigated for salary cap breaches, but no action was taken because there was an acceptance more than a few were at it. The same outcome had been reached in 2010 when those abiding by the cap were found to be in a small minority.‘

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/nov/07/the-breakdown-saracens-salary-cap-breach-premiership-rugby-union

Ta for the info. May be the case that people try and push the rules. I mentioned Bath although did hear that when the cap first started 10+ years ago there were a few clubs pushing it but then there was a general amnesty and ‘start again’. I just think that even if more are doing it now Saracens clearly are the biggest culprits simply based on the quality and depth of squad. Nobody else gets near them and they have rarely lost a player they wanted to keep to a rival.

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Should be a tough game, we need to build on our Euro form recently and finish 1st!

Could be close - 2 decent sides

50 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Ta for the info. May be the case that people try and push the rules. I mentioned Bath although did hear that when the cap first started 10+ years ago there were a few clubs pushing it but then there was a general amnesty and ‘start again’. I just think that even if more are doing it now Saracens clearly are the biggest culprits simply based on the quality and depth of squad. Nobody else gets near them and they have rarely lost a player they wanted to keep to a rival.

Could be close - 2 decent sides

With Bath, they were pissy that all the other clubs had caught on how to pay their players off the books. My mate worked for a Dairy on Bath’s behalf...and he wasn’t out on a milk float every day let’s say!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Derby or was it Stoke, employed Tom Ince’s mum as scout for £700k pa.  True.

Tom suggested his dad, but they knew they’d never convince anyone he knew anything about football ?

It was interesting that LJ referred to having to pay "family fees" as well as paying agents in his answer about transfers. This seems to be an extreme example!

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

With Bath, they were pissy that all the other clubs had caught on how to pay their players off the books. My mate worked for a Dairy on Bath’s behalf...and he wasn’t out on a milk float every day let’s say!

Can’t believe Bruce Craig would agree such a thing; he always seems like a quiet unassuming man. Not argumentative and demanding he gets his own way all the time.

Archived