IGNORED

Paper Talk ?

bcfc01

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

This article suggests we offered players in exchange for Lyle Taylor - including Palmer.

Hopefully just paper talk...

https://the72.co.uk/155161/charlton-athletic-dismiss-bristol-citys-bid-for-striker-lyle-taylor/

Put this here as it has wider implications than just a transfer bid.

Might be something in it as Charlton are linked with Clarke Harris at Rovers.

Alan Nixon alluded to this over the weekend on Twitter. He didn't mention the club involved, but I suspected it might be us. I would be a bit surprised if Kasey Palmer was one of the players we offered personally but makes sense given the current speculation.

Taylor would be a very sensible and astute first team signing in my opinion. Exactly the sort of player we should target.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Might be something in it as Charlton are linked with Clarke Harris at Rovers.

Charlton also linked with Ollie Carke having signed Lockyer in the Summer.

Strange for any club to think they might progress signing numerous Rovers' players.

Weren't they interested in signing Matty Taylor last summer ?

TBF if they offered Lyle Taylor plus 2 million for Palmer, I'd snap their hands off. There seems to be more to Palmer's exclusion from the squad than just poor form. I am starting to think there is something deeper affecting him (maybe the Afobe situation or just wants to return to London...who knows but there is a problem)......and Taylor(Lyle) only has 6 months left on his contract.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Alan Nixon alluded to this over the weekend on Twitter. He didn't mention the club involved, but I suspected it might be us. I would be a bit surprised if Kasey Palmer was one of the players we offered personally but makes sense given the current speculation.

Taylor would be a very sensible and astute first team signing in my opinion. Exactly the sort of player we should target.

Maybe he is, I don't really know anything about him other than stats.

My issue is exchanging Palmer as part of the deal - if true, then its a crap deal imo.

Palmer is one of the few players we have that has the ability to turn a game on its head, never mind about the "need to work on a couple of things" he is a talented young player that we need to be giving game time. I'd be shocked if this deal was true - but maybe Palmer wants it as it doesn't look as if he's going to get any game time here.

Short term panic deal if true.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe he is, I don't really know anything about him other than stats.

My issue is exchanging Palmer as part of the deal - if true, then its a crap deal imo.

Palmer is one of the few players we have that has the ability to turn a game on its head, never mind about the "need to work on a couple of things" he is a talented young player that we need to be giving game time. I'd be shocked if this deal was true - but maybe Palmer wants it as it doesn't look as if he's going to get any game time here.

Short term panic deal if true.

I saw someone on here make a parallel to Kodjia and I'd say that's fairly accurate. He's got a bit more positional awareness in that he's not offside all the time, but he has a bit of swagger and 'x factor' like JK. Similar attributes to Afobe too in many ways but plays with a bit more flair. 

He's a natural goalscorer, quick, decent in the air and can hold the ball up. He also works hard and gets stuck in - he's not a soft player and would add a bit of bite to the team. 

I think he'd really benefit us but personally wouldn't want to see Palmer go as part of the deal - Taylor is the sort of player that would bring the best out of Palmer. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I saw someone on here make a parallel to Kodjia and I'd say that's fairly accurate. He's got a bit more positional awareness in that he's not offside all the time, but he has a bit of swagger and 'x factor' like JK. Similar attributes to Afobe too in many ways but plays with a bit more flair. 

He's a natural goalscorer, quick, decent in the air and can hold the ball up. He also works hard and gets stuck in - he's not a soft player and would add a bit of bite to the team. 

I think he'd really benefit us but personally wouldn't want to see Palmer go as part of the deal - Taylor is the sort of player that would bring the best out of Palmer. 

Thanks for the info on him.

I agree 100% with the highlighted bit.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Spot-on description. I've watched him playing for Wimbledon a lot. He's great: a nightmare for defenders. Fast, skillful, aggressive, tough battler at set-pieces. What I didn't know was how well he'd do in the Championship but he's proved he's up to it and given the number of chances City create, I think he'd do really well here.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Thanks for the info on him.

I agree 100% with the highlighted bit.

31 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Spot-on description. I've watched him playing for Wimbledon a lot. He's great: a nightmare for defenders. Fast, skillful, aggressive, tough battler at set-pieces. What I didn't know was how well he'd do in the Championship but he's proved he's up to it and given the number of chances City create, I think he'd do really well here.

No problem. Yes @Yellow&Blue&Red I think he's exactly what we need personally. What's also great about him is presumably he's not on ridiculous wages and given his situation wouldn't be a silly fee. (unlike other mooted targets like Assombalonga, Gayle etc)

Stylistically he'd be a great fit and presumably wouldn't need time to acclimatise like foreign signings might or young players. Would be a really astute and sensible signing that would strengthen us and make us very dangerous in attack.

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Isn't Taylor injured?  Plus he's 28, bit old, not a long-term option

His age doesn’t have to be a factor - I’m amazed we are turning our nose up at a 29 year old! 

We do need to sign players for right now, not every single signing has to be with a view to a sell on in 3 years.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

This article suggests we offered players in exchange for Lyle Taylor - including Palmer.

Hopefully just paper talk...

https://the72.co.uk/155161/charlton-athletic-dismiss-bristol-citys-bid-for-striker-lyle-taylor/

Put this here as it has wider implications than just a transfer bid.

I’d be surprised if there was any truth in that report as I can’t see why we would be in for a striker with no resale value. I’d be even more surprised if Palmer was offered when Afobe isn’t too far away from regaining full fitness. Those two excelled playing together. It’d be madness to get a goalscorer back to full fitness in the spring and cut off his main supply. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good summary.  Not as skilful as JK, but more physical.  Would give us the best of both worlds, a player that can receive back to goal, but also spin his man and run the channels.

He’s exactly the type of striker we should be going for.  He isn’t at the level of Afobe imho, but he’s more Afobe-like than Diedhiou, Weimann or Semenyo.

As I posted on Transfer sub-forum, it’s possible we offered Palmer on loan (rather than a transfer) as a sweetener.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good summary.  Not as skilful as JK, but more physical.  Would give us the best of both worlds, a player that can receive back to goal, but also spin his man and run the channels.

He’s exactly the type of striker we should be going for.  He isn’t at the level of Afobe imho, but he’s more Afobe-like than Diedhiou, Weimann or Semenyo.

As I posted on Transfer sub-forum, it’s possible we offered Palmer on loan (rather than a transfer) as a sweetener.

Agreed - he's also fairly niggly and gets in the faces of the opposition (a bit like Matty Taylor in that regard but a big upgrade generally). I think he's a very sensible and realistic signing that would add to us. 

I notice you and I both talk about types of players fairly often and I think which types suit the rest of the playing squad is a very important thing to consider. I think sometimes it's an important factor that gets overlooked but is something you'd imagine our recruitment team are giving lots of thought to.

Plucking one out of the air here but as an example I wonder whether Eliasson and Djuric were bought in with a view to getting the best out of eachother with their complimentary attributes. 

Another example is I also wonder whether we have the right players for Weimann to show his best football. He spent the majority of his career at arguably better teams than us - certainly was the case at Villa. Sometimes I wonder whether he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team as his movement is strong. His supporting run to drag the Barnsley defender out of position made space for Eliasson's goal on Saturday; that's clever play. I'm not sure how many of our team think about things like that regularly.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed - he's also fairly niggly and gets in the faces of the opposition (a bit like Matty Taylor in that regard but a big upgrade generally). I think he's a very sensible and realistic signing that would add to us. 

I notice you and I both talk about types of players fairly often and I think which types suit the rest of the playing squad is a very important thing to consider.

for me it’s probably the most important thing.  We currently (without getting @Cowshed started ?) a mixed style, so we need a striker / forward who can do a bit of everything.  No point playing Neville and Riley currently, although it might force us to pkay differently!!!

I think sometimes it's an important factor that gets overlooked but is something you'd imagine our recruitment team are giving lots of thought to.

you’d hope so.

Plucking one out of the air here but as an example I wonder whether Eliasson and Djuric were bought in with a view to getting the best out of eachother with their complimentary attributes.

would make sense.

Another example is I also wonder whether we have the right players for Weimann to show his best football. He spent the majority of his career at arguably better teams than us - certainly was the case at Villa. Sometimes I wonder whether he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team as his movement is strong. His supporting run to drag the Barnsley defender out of position made space for Eliasson's goal on Saturday; that's clever play. I'm not sure how many of our team think about things like that regularly.

totally agree, he does so much that without sounding arrogant, your average football fan will see as “just running around a lot”.  His run on Saturday took their 2 CBs out of the equation.

Archived