IGNORED

Bailey Wright (Merged)

Hampshire reds

We will live. The fact is there will be some level of fee and a salary gone.

We have needed him for what - to start one game this season?

Between Kalas, Baker, Williams and Moore (and hopefully some quality coming through from the U-23s if we are really desperate), we should not be retaining a 5th first team centre back as all that produces is pissed off saleable assets sat in the stands surely?

I really don't understand this one. A very good defender, played out of position, club captain, a very good ambassador and link between the players and coaches.

Considering the frequency of injuries to Kalas and Baker I am surprised he hasn't played more.

9 minutes ago, Swede said:

I really don't understand this one. A very good defender, played out of position, club captain, a very good ambassador and link between the players and coaches.

Considering the frequency of injuries to Kalas and Baker I am surprised he hasn't played more.

I think it's because he's a limited defender with poor distribution; very telling that he's only wanted by a div.1 club.

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

Considering our current recruitment policy or lack off any time soon all I can see is the squad becoming weaker

Possibly moving players out to free up wages in order that we can bring in replacements that could be better?

28 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

The reality is that we have a bloated squad. We need to trim and Bailey Wright isn't a particularly good player

It’s not really this, perhaps he deserves more respect.

His contract is shortly up, he’s not getting game time, won’t be our lowest wage, has really struggled with injuries over the last 18 months and we have adequate cover.

1 hour ago, Kykoliko said:

The reality is that we have a bloated squad. We need to trim and Bailey Wright isn't a particularly good player

I keep reading we have a bloated squad? It’s a favourite line for some. Bloated compared to what? 

According to transfermarkt (not sure of accuracy for every team) we have a squad size of 27, which is right if you don’t include loans in.

Lowest - Millwall with 21

Highest - Preston, Hull and Forest with 31.

Average - 27 

Bristol City have the average squad size according to this.  

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are we contributing any wages, or is he signing a brand new contract for x years?

I assume the 50k will be the difference between what he earns here and what they will be offering him. Meaning 50k divided by however many weeks left in his contract. Wouldn’t make sense for us to cover any of his wages imo. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I assume the 50k will be the difference between what he earns here and what they will be offering him. Meaning 50k divided by however many weeks left in his contract. Wouldn’t make sense for us to cover any of his wages imo. 

Yeah, would make sense.

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I keep reading we have a bloated squad? It’s a favourite line for some. Bloated compared to what? 

According to transfermarkt (not sure of accuracy for every team) we have a squad size of 27, which is right if you don’t include loans in.

Lowest - Millwall with 21

Highest - Preston, Hull and Forest with 31.

Average - 27 

Bristol City have the average squad size according to this.  

I think the point is that there are bigger earners like Wright who is our 5th choice CB.

I would hazard a guess that Moore and probably Williams are on far less.

7 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I think the point is that there are bigger earners like Wright who is our 5th choice CB.

I would hazard a guess that Moore and probably Williams are on far less.

Well the in this instance no one referred or mentioned wages. 

Again, it’s easy to make a statement about wages without knowing the facts.

Firstly - our wage bill, how does it compare to other teams in the divisions?

Secondly, do you know BW is one of our biggest earners? At the point he arrived from Preston back in 2017 and I’d imagine we were not offering the same wages we’d be able to offer someone like Kalas now for example. He is no doubt on more than TM, but I’d imagine Williams is on a handsome short term contract, possibly actually making him one of our highest earners, given not long ago he was on £70k p/w.

The fact is for Bailey Wright, the squad has  probably ‘outgrown’ him to a certain extent.

A useful player no doubt, yes part of that spell of good football, but don’t forget he was very limited going forward during that period, I remember games where he did no more than offer a body going forwards, he would go through games a) not beating a man or b) putting a cross in. I think in an ‘ideal world’ we want CB’s playing out from the back, that’s not his strength and TM has been stepping up this year in that respect.

Archived