IGNORED

Bailey Wright (Merged)

Hampshire reds

As someone's alluded to already, we played some of our best football with him at right back. I just hope we haven't shot ourselves in the foot as he has leadership qualities off the pitch as well.

We had a similar scenario with Luke Ayling; at the time was he our best right back? No (Mark Little)

Was he our best centre back? No (Flint & Derrick Williams)

Was he our best midfielder? No (Korey, Wade Elliott & Marlon Pack) so we got rid.

Look how it's turned out for him.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It was supposed to happen last week but was held up by Baker getting injured at Shrewsbury & Kalas’ ongoing injury situation, we are supposed to be in for another centre-half though because of the ongoing frailties of our centre-half’s & Williams’ age.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It was supposed to happen last week but was held up by Baker getting injured at Shrewsbury & Kalas’ ongoing injury situation, we are supposed to be in for another centre-half though because of the ongoing frailties of our centre-half’s & Williams’ age.

I've edited it.

On 18/01/2020 at 12:33, chinapig said:

Defence isn't the problem? You haven't looked at our defensive record then?

Still, neither has LJ it seems, since he never seems to mention it.

He’s right defends isn’t the problem midfield is and the lack of tackling challenges and headers won in midfield is the main problem with our team

a good defensive midfielder should be our number one priority 

15 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Sorry to see Bailz go but he just may be better off, probably get a lot more game time. A good bloke & true pro, he will be missed.

Exactly. Simple fact is we can't guarantee him games and Sunderland can and it's a really good move for him, especially with his contract running down.

People sometimes think being out of contract means you can dictate terms - which you can as a top player - but for many professionals, being out of contract means uncertainty and no guarantee of being picked up - look at the recent thread on Pisasno for example, or Marvin Elliott's struggles to find a club after he left us. If Sunderland are offering him games and a guaranteed salary for the next couple of years, it is only right that we let him move. Good defender though and I think he will do well at Sunderland if he keeps himself fit, which he might find easier to do with the rhythm of playing week in and week out. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He’s right defends isn’t the problem midfield is and the lack of tackling challenges and headers won in midfield is the main problem with our team

a good defensive midfielder should be our number one priority 

You wouldn’t believe how many times this weekend I heard “it’s won in the midfield”.  Very true.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You wouldn’t believe how many times this weekend I heard “it’s won in the midfield”.  Very true.

Doesn't help when LJ sets up in the way we do...how many high end Championship sides play the looseish configuration as us?

Paterson is not as bad as some in a loose 3/4-1-4-1 from a balance POV, and he's done fine but he's not necessarily the answer in that respect IMO.

Even Millwall under Rowett have left the 4-4-2, even Harris doesn't seem to utilise it that much at Cardiff. Sign of the times.

@Monkeh I'd like to see Rowe get a go in there, certainly until Smith is back to his best- but in a 3 probably.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't help when LJ sets up in the way we do...how many high end Championship sides play the looseish configuration as us?

Paterson is not as bad as some in a loose 3/4-1-4-1 from a balance POV, and he's done fine but he's not necessarily the answer in that respect IMO.

Even Millwall under Rowett have left the 4-4-2, even Harris doesn't seem to utilise it that much at Cardiff. Sign of the times.

@Monkeh I'd like to see Rowe get a go in there, certainly until Smith is back to his best- but in a 3 probably.

I’m surprised Rowe isn’t doing the job to be honest, he’d add some bite that’s for sure

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Picked up in news transfer report. I try and find it again and send link

Sunderland Echo, saying talks at an advanced stage:-

"Sunderland are closing-in on new faces, however, with a move for Bristol City defender Bailey Wright at an advanced stage.

The Australian international is understood to be completing a medical on Wearside ahead of a move to the Stadium of Light, with a deal having been agreed with parent club Bristol City."

13 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

"Sunderland are closing-in on new faces, however, with a move for Bristol City defender Bailey Wright at an advanced stage.

The Australian international is understood to be completing a medical on Wearside ahead of a move to the Stadium of Light, with a deal having been agreed with parent club Bristol City."

Yes that report ?

21 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

There's been a few comedy act's on up there over the last few years.

Archived