Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire reds

Bailey Wright (Merged)

Surely we are not letting Bailey leave without a replacement. If he goes as reported on Monday that will leave us with williams and moore. Plus 2 players that appear to be always injured. does anyone know if we have anyone lined up. if not what are we doing. 

We will live. The fact is there will be some level of fee and a salary gone.

We have needed him for what - to start one game this season?

Between Kalas, Baker, Williams and Moore (and hopefully some quality coming through from the U-23s if we are really desperate), we should not be retaining a 5th first team centre back as all that produces is pissed off saleable assets sat in the stands surely?

Edited by Meh
  • Like 2

I really don't understand this one. A very good defender, played out of position, club captain, a very good ambassador and link between the players and coaches.

Considering the frequency of injuries to Kalas and Baker I am surprised he hasn't played more.

• Like 3
  • Aubergine 1

Considering our current recruitment policy or lack off any time soon all I can see is the squad becoming weaker

9 minutes ago, Swede said:

I really don't understand this one. A very good defender, played out of position, club captain, a very good ambassador and link between the players and coaches.

Considering the frequency of injuries to Kalas and Baker I am surprised he hasn't played more.

I think it's because he's a limited defender with poor distribution; very telling that he's only wanted by a div.1 club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

Considering our current recruitment policy or lack off any time soon all I can see is the squad becoming weaker

Possibly moving players out to free up wages in order that we can bring in replacements that could be better?

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it's because he's a limited defender with poor distribution; very telling that he's only wanted by a div.1 club.

Perhaps we don’t want him to go to another Championship club. Possibly?

12 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

yeah because the defence this season has been so much better without him...........

Defence isn't the problem. Stick him in, we would have done worse. 

1 minute ago, Redpool said:

Defence isn't the problem. Stick him in, we would have done worse. 

Defence isn't the problem? You haven't looked at our defensive record then?

Still, neither has LJ it seems, since he never seems to mention it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

The reality is that we have a bloated squad. We need to trim and Bailey Wright isn't a particularly good player

It’s not really this, perhaps he deserves more respect.

His contract is shortly up, he’s not getting game time, won’t be our lowest wage, has really struggled with injuries over the last 18 months and we have adequate cover.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

LJ is the problem 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kykoliko said:

The reality is that we have a bloated squad. We need to trim and Bailey Wright isn't a particularly good player

I keep reading we have a bloated squad? It’s a favourite line for some. Bloated compared to what? 

According to transfermarkt (not sure of accuracy for every team) we have a squad size of 27, which is right if you don’t include loans in.

Lowest - Millwall with 21

Highest - Preston, Hull and Forest with 31.

Average - 27 

Bristol City have the average squad size according to this.  

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Permanent deal will go through Monday, fee of around 50k by all accounts 

Are we contributing any wages, or is he signing a brand new contract for x years?

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Permanent deal will go through Monday, fee of around 50k by all accounts 

They've got a cracking deal. Slipped in really well at RB when we played our best football a couple season back. Seems a decent guy too. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

They've got a cracking deal. Slipped in really well at RB when we played our best football a couple season back. Seems a decent guy too. 

He`ll be a leader too - they seem a bit rudderless on the pitch sometimes.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are we contributing any wages, or is he signing a brand new contract for x years?

I assume the 50k will be the difference between what he earns here and what they will be offering him. Meaning 50k divided by however many weeks left in his contract. Wouldn’t make sense for us to cover any of his wages imo. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I assume the 50k will be the difference between what he earns here and what they will be offering him. Meaning 50k divided by however many weeks left in his contract. Wouldn’t make sense for us to cover any of his wages imo. 

Yeah, would make sense.

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I keep reading we have a bloated squad? It’s a favourite line for some. Bloated compared to what? 

According to transfermarkt (not sure of accuracy for every team) we have a squad size of 27, which is right if you don’t include loans in.

Lowest - Millwall with 21

Highest - Preston, Hull and Forest with 31.

Average - 27 

Bristol City have the average squad size according to this.  

I think the point is that there are bigger earners like Wright who is our 5th choice CB.

I would hazard a guess that Moore and probably Williams are on far less.

Edited by marcofisher

7 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I think the point is that there are bigger earners like Wright who is our 5th choice CB.

I would hazard a guess that Moore and probably Williams are on far less.

Well the in this instance no one referred or mentioned wages. 

Again, it’s easy to make a statement about wages without knowing the facts.

Firstly - our wage bill, how does it compare to other teams in the divisions?

Secondly, do you know BW is one of our biggest earners? At the point he arrived from Preston back in 2017 and I’d imagine we were not offering the same wages we’d be able to offer someone like Kalas now for example. He is no doubt on more than TM, but I’d imagine Williams is on a handsome short term contract, possibly actually making him one of our highest earners, given not long ago he was on £70k p/w.

The fact is for Bailey Wright, the squad has  probably ‘outgrown’ him to a certain extent.

A useful player no doubt, yes part of that spell of good football, but don’t forget he was very limited going forward during that period, I remember games where he did no more than offer a body going forwards, he would go through games a) not beating a man or b) putting a cross in. I think in an ‘ideal world’ we want CB’s playing out from the back, that’s not his strength and TM has been stepping up this year in that respect.

• Like 2

Were going to miss his leadership a lot of the younger players go to Bails for advice . Shame he's going as we have no leaders left in the current squad but we have to move on and i hope we bring someone with the same experience. 

As someone's alluded to already, we played some of our best football with him at right back. I just hope we haven't shot ourselves in the foot as he has leadership qualities off the pitch as well.

We had a similar scenario with Luke Ayling; at the time was he our best right back? No (Mark Little)

Was he our best centre back? No (Flint & Derrick Williams)

Was he our best midfielder? No (Korey, Wade Elliott & Marlon Pack) so we got rid.

Look how it's turned out for him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It was supposed to happen last week but was held up by Baker getting injured at Shrewsbury & Kalas’ ongoing injury situation, we are supposed to be in for another centre-half though because of the ongoing frailties of our centre-half’s & Williams’ age.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It was supposed to happen last week but was held up by Baker getting injured at Shrewsbury & Kalas’ ongoing injury situation, we are supposed to be in for another centre-half though because of the ongoing frailties of our centre-half’s & Williams’ age.

I've edited it.

Sorry to see Bailz go but he just may be better off, probably get a lot more game time. A good bloke & true pro, he will be missed.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 12:33, chinapig said:

He’s right defends isn’t the problem midfield is and the lack of tackling challenges and headers won in midfield is the main problem with our team

a good defensive midfielder should be our number one priority 

15 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Sorry to see Bailz go but he just may be better off, probably get a lot more game time. A good bloke & true pro, he will be missed.

Exactly. Simple fact is we can't guarantee him games and Sunderland can and it's a really good move for him, especially with his contract running down.

People sometimes think being out of contract means you can dictate terms - which you can as a top player - but for many professionals, being out of contract means uncertainty and no guarantee of being picked up - look at the recent thread on Pisasno for example, or Marvin Elliott's struggles to find a club after he left us. If Sunderland are offering him games and a guaranteed salary for the next couple of years, it is only right that we let him move. Good defender though and I think he will do well at Sunderland if he keeps himself fit, which he might find easier to do with the rhythm of playing week in and week out. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He’s right defends isn’t the problem midfield is and the lack of tackling challenges and headers won in midfield is the main problem with our team

a good defensive midfielder should be our number one priority 

You wouldn’t believe how many times this weekend I heard “it’s won in the midfield”.  Very true.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You wouldn’t believe how many times this weekend I heard “it’s won in the midfield”.  Very true.

Doesn't help when LJ sets up in the way we do...how many high end Championship sides play the looseish configuration as us?

Paterson is not as bad as some in a loose 3/4-1-4-1 from a balance POV, and he's done fine but he's not necessarily the answer in that respect IMO.

Even Millwall under Rowett have left the 4-4-2, even Harris doesn't seem to utilise it that much at Cardiff. Sign of the times.

@Monkeh I'd like to see Rowe get a go in there, certainly until Smith is back to his best- but in a 3 probably.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't help when LJ sets up in the way we do...how many high end Championship sides play the looseish configuration as us?

Paterson is not as bad as some in a loose 3/4-1-4-1 from a balance POV, and he's done fine but he's not necessarily the answer in that respect IMO.

Even Millwall under Rowett have left the 4-4-2, even Harris doesn't seem to utilise it that much at Cardiff. Sign of the times.

@Monkeh I'd like to see Rowe get a go in there, certainly until Smith is back to his best- but in a 3 probably.

I’m surprised Rowe isn’t doing the job to be honest, he’d add some bite that’s for sure

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why have we sold Bailey Wright 

Nothing on the OS..............:cool2:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Picked up in news transfer report. I try and find it again and send link

Sunderland Echo, saying talks at an advanced stage:-

"Sunderland are closing-in on new faces, however, with a move for Bristol City defender Bailey Wright at an advanced stage.

The Australian international is understood to be completing a medical on Wearside ahead of a move to the Stadium of Light, with a deal having been agreed with parent club Bristol City."