IGNORED

Semenyo

Rocking Red Cyril

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

OK so he has not always shown all we need from a striker when given a chance. But would not a extended run in the starting eleven be worth a go.. ?

Surely all the time on the bench serves no purpose he better on loan 

Thoughts 

If he can prove he’s better than the current incumbents then he’ll get a chance to play and stay in.

I think the criticism was harsh of Antoine. It's that Reading performance which did it. But I thought he was ok in a couple of other games and good against Preston.

I support him by honestly saying his attributes, which is what he can do, not necessarily what he is doing when he plays. And people laugh or send confused emojis.

People can't seem to grasp his age and how good he obviously is for that age. People genuinely believe he is simply awful and does not try.

Name a player who consistently plays better at home? If one watches home and away it is clearly the whole team who enjoy away days more. LAst season we won more away, and i expect this season will be the same.

All pundits/experts say the reason why home teams win most matches is simple; their supporters. If City win more away from home, what does that say about the 15-20k City fans that come to A.G

Started in draws away to Brentford and to Preston. The kid can play, should have been given more game time and the signing of Rodri is a ridiculous slap in the face to a kid that LJ said “was struggling for confidence”. 

The Barnsley game when we messed up at 2-0 was the turning point, neither Palmer nor Semenyo have really featured since. 

I think the challenge with Samenyo is when he's come on (granted he hasn't been given long), in my opinion, he hasn't looked great and hasn't affected the game so I guess that's given LJ a bit of a difficult challenge.  He definately needs to be given a chance to develop and get better but should that be in our team at this current moment? I'm not so sure. I think Lee wants players off the bench who he knows can immediately change the game and Semenyo isn't there yet. I think a loan in League 1 would be perfect - where he can get regular games.

The other thing, and this I feel puts Semenyo's development at an unfair disadvantage is how well the team around him are playing at the moment - I just can't see how our current form will help his development. I'm not convinced it will help by chucking him in to the team and expecting him to make a positive impact when the players and tactics aren't working well right now. It seems to be hard enough for experienced players to play well right now, let alone someone new to the game. 

9 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Was superb against PNE away last season, made a difference. He needs a loan in league 1 for the rest of this season. I do feel in some games at home this season, when we are launching long balls up to Fam, That Semenyo could do that job and hold the ball up but never given the chance. 

Totally needs a loan .

From what I seen , I am not convinced, but that has not been too much.

17 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Totally needs a loan .

From what I seen , I am not convinced, but that has not been too much.

100% needs a loan.

I just hope he smashes it on loan - I have my doubts.

I've really not seen what pundits have seen.

But he's young and has a lot of time in front of him so hopefully he achieves the potential that is apparently there.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Name a player who consistently plays better at home? If one watches home and away it is clearly the whole team who enjoy away days more. LAst season we won more away, and i expect this season will be the same.

All pundits/experts say the reason why home teams win most matches is simple; their supporters. If City win more away from home, what does that say about the 15-20k City fans that come to A.G

Brilliant, it’s our fault!

Pretty sure home advantage is far more complex and due to many factors, rather than just the supporters.

Sorry but I’ve yet to see what people see in Semenyo. Admittedly I didn’t see the PNE game. The first time I saw him for us he got sent off after a few minutes vs Derby. Clearly LJ sees something in him because he’s normally on the bench. 

I agree that a loan spell to League 1 would do him good - maybe the jump from League 2 (Newport) to the Championship was too great?

.... or maybe I just don’t know anything about football. Sorry but he is ‘meh’ at best for me. 

I REALLY hope he gets to shine - I just can’t see it happening any time soon. 

4 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

OK so he has not always shown all we need from a striker when given a chance. But would not a extended run in the starting eleven be worth a go.. ?

Surely all the time on the bench serves no purpose he better on loan 

Thoughts 

semenyo will come good for City like Bobby Reid did, not overnight. probably should be on loan at somewhere like wycombe

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Started in draws away to Brentford and to Preston. The kid can play, should have been given more game time and the signing of Rodri is a ridiculous slap in the face to a kid that LJ said “was struggling for confidence”. 

The Barnsley game when we messed up at 2-0 was the turning point, neither Palmer nor Semenyo have really featured since. 

Good points - although Palmer has been on the pitch for seven games between the away game at Barnsley and the home game against them .... he has featured 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

No it wasnt, yet you keep pushing this false narrative. 

The signing of Rodri was fully understandable. We had been short on strikers and the one we brought in over the summer had just had a potentially season ending injury. We needed to bring another person in still.

Think it might be a good idea just to try chucking him out on the pitch and saying ‘just go out and enjoy yourself lad - given ‘em hell’. 

I was sat in line with him at that Reading match, he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. I think he’d been given so many playing patterns, formulas and responsibilities to process he had brain fade.

Simple game...... ball in the opposition’s net.  Go. 

Who can recall him playing for Newport when on loan in the FA cup against premier league sides, Leicester City one, and  was it Boro ?  The pundits drooling over him as he gave defenders a torrid time. Off to Chelsea for mega money ? 

where was he played ? Not as an out and out striker but a wider and deeper position? Have we utilised him in a similar position.  Are we actually getting best out of him.  Food for thought 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Think it might be a good idea just to try chucking him out on the pitch and saying ‘just go out and enjoy yourself lad - given ‘em hell’. 

I was sat in line with him at that Reading match, he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. I think he’d been given so many playing patterns, formulas and responsibilities to process he had brain fade.

Simple game...... ball in the opposition’s net.  Go. 

Ah, but had he been told to look for box entries and that he was a good human?! ?

It’s hard to think how he could have been treated worse than he has. Given next to zero game time. Told to warm up constantly with no thought of bringing him on unless we are incredible desperate. Rodri given game time above him. Not played but not loaned out. Lee Johnson has been given the task of promoting youth but refuses to despite Semenyo’s  obvious talents and despite other forward players being tired.  As most know I am a LJ advocate (because he is part of a plan that needs to be completed before it can be judged) but youth is an area he falls down on massively.  Further to that point, Moore should be ahead of Williams. 

Semenyo and Elliason either side of Diedhiou please

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

No it wasnt, yet you keep pushing this false narrative. 

The signing of Rodri was fully understandable. We had been short on strikers and the one we brought in over the summer had just had a potentially season ending injury. We needed to bring another person in still.

Signed him and said he plays two up front so needs four strikers. Yet hardly used Semenyo... 

Surely we both agree the persistent use of Rodri over Semenyo even when it had been decided he was going to be released was ridiculous?

Archived