IGNORED

Best and Worst Managers

Hampshire Red

Its around 40 years since (Sir) Alan Dicks departed and we've had about 20 managers since then. Of these who are the best and worst? Clearly most success at this level has been the last season or two and so Lee Johnson is likely to be the clear winner but interesting to see other candidates; Cotts perhaps as we were brilliant in that lower league, Danny WIlson because of his entertaining style of play ..anyone else?

And worst? Pulis, McInnes, just to name a couple

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Its around 40 years since (Sir) Alan Dicks departed and we've had about 20 managers since then. Of these who are the best and worst? Clearly most success at this level has been the last season or two and so Lee Johnson is likely to be the clear winner but interesting to see other candidates; Cotts perhaps as we were brilliant in that lower league, Danny WIlson because of his entertaining style of play ..anyone else?

And worst? Pulis, McInnes, just to name a couple

As a Bristol City Manager or in their career as a whole? You could argue for example that Pulis has proved to be a good Manager, even though his team here were virtually unwatchable.

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This site has some interesting facts and figures to go by, although it seems to have gone a bit weird when it comes to Lee Johnson's personal record. :) 

image.png.57f779ee8a441669f19bd5fba24732f0.pngimage.png.c529b12a8517a88ddbbf1639a9ec22c8.pngimage.png.113889329570abfad68535b8693b47a4.png

image.png.250dbba104efae460d6ee10630e0badc.png

wikipedia gives LJ's current stats as: numbers are, in order, Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%.

Bristol City 6 February 2016 Present 204 81 52 71 39.7

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

wikipedia gives LJ's current stats as: numbers are, in order, Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%.

Bristol City 6 February 2016 Present 204 81 52 71 39.7

Yes I saw that but wasn’t sure how quickly it is updated.

One thing I noticed is that from Sam Hollis through to Keith Millen, the old adage of “never go back” is true for Bristol City managers.

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

For me

Best Jordan or Johnson snr

Worst Tinman

Johnson Snr, someone started a thread on here about faith. I don’t think I have ever had faith in a Manager for such a sustained period. He created something different here for at least two seasons, LJ got close to it around the period up to the Man City games, and it would be great if he could get anywhere near that again. 

Danny Wilson was an enigma. 47 percent win ratio. Built a decent squad and played some great football but achieved nothing in terms of promotion. 

Best manager since I started watching in 1992 would be Cotts. Picked up a side on its ass and in short order, turned it into a team that scored 99 points and brought home our first divisional title since the 50s. 

Worst manager. O'Dismal without question. 

Osman wasn't great but we won at Liverpool and he had a handful of kids as signings in his last year. 

Pulis played dull as shit football but didn't really do anything too damaging. 

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I saw that but wasn’t sure how quickly it is updated.

One thing I noticed is that from Sam Hollis through to Keith Millen, the old adage of “never go back” is true for Bristol City managers.

Wiki says it's updated as of the Barnsley game on Saturday. I think it is all comps as well rather than league only. All comps tends to inflate the win% as if you win two cup games and then lose that's 2 in the win column and one in the loss column. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

LJ got close to it around the period up to the Man City games

Halcyon days. Then I got my Wolves supporting mate round to watch that game at the end of 2017...and it's never really been the same since. 

In my time watching ,Best for me Cotts he got a connection between the fans and team like I have never known we where all one in the special double winning season, will never forget that,

Garry Johnson a close 2nd, that first season in the championship where we almost went up was amazing just ashame it fell apart afterwards,

Worst has to be Pulis the worst football I have ever seen, followed by Millan so far out of his depth, 

Archived