IGNORED

Best and Worst Managers

Hampshire Red

It's interesting how poor O'Driscoll was with us and the plummet to the bottom of League One was quite stunningly bad, so he's a strong candidate, given his reasonable track record prior to us. Seemed a reasonable candiatr for rebuilding that was necessary, how wrong it was!

Cotts as best, I dunno- we went up in fantastic style but GJ made us a top 10 Championship side too- granted 2009/10 was a Millen bounce as caretaker after GJ left.

GJ best to date, for me- in my time.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Saying Lee Johnson given the options available here is frankly pathetic.

See above.

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

The same as an opinion. And that's mine. Yours is different - fair enough.

Given the level of time and support and 40 odd million spent that wasn't afforded to the other .candidates (SOD McInnes Pulis Osman etc) it's an opinion based on facts.

Never has so much been spent - and so many players been signed - and so much time allowed - to one manager ......who has gone to achieved f'uc'k all

Best managers has to be Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. Even in Jordan's 2nd term he still assembled a decent squad that Ward just had to tweak to get us promotion.

I understand the feel good factor that Gary Johnson brought to the club, but the football was pretty boring at times. Cotts showed how to win promotion in style.

Worst - too many to mention, but got to be between Osman, Pulis and O'Driscoll.

I'd give Benny the benefit of the doubt. In the season we got relegated, if there were another half dozen games I reckon he would've kept us up. He got us playing pretty decently in the end.

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Achieved “f’uc’k all”. You must be one of these weird blokes with an agenda. Such a pathetic argument that he’s spent 40 million, net spend we will have made money whilst he’s in charge. Win percentage wise he will be up there of all our managers and not many recently have made us an established championship side.

He's achieved nothing.

4 years ago when he was appointed - if during his first speech he'd said that over the next 4 years I'm going to spend £40+million on 57 players over 8 windows and still be mid table championship .....we'd all have been horrified (including SL!).

Who appoints a manager with the remit of spend a fortune and achieve nothing?

Bring back Sam Hollis!

My personal favourite - Terry Cooper. Not only saved the club (along with Mr Williams) but also had something really special with the fans. Those who mention Cotts' connection with the fans and players were not, I'd guess, around in TC's day.

Osman and Pulis are the two managers in my 50+ years who, I felt, had something other than the club's best interest at heart. Pulis' interest was cash. Osman's was himself. SOD, O'Driscoll, Tinns, Millen, all unsuccessful (sometimes for reasons outside their control) but they wanted to do their best for the club.

2 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Firstly we weren’t a mid table championship side when he took over, we were getting relegated. We’ve been fighting for a playoff place for the most of the last 3 seasons. You completely ignored what I said about net spend, and he wouldn’t have had to sign so many players if we weren’t a selling club. When you sell a player you have to replace them, that’s how football works.

He has actually spent £64M and the ONLY player he's actually signed and sold at a profit is Webster. All the others he's sold (or rather Ashton has sold) were either here already (Bryan Reid etc) or signed by other managers (Flint Kodjia) Kodjia being our record profit.

My point - which you miss entirely - is that given the time, money, signings, and backing... Given to no other BCFC manager...he had clearly has under achieved massively.

Had LJ had the constraints that McInnes SOD etc worked under then I'd say he'd done a reasonable job........but that's not the case. He's had the tools & hasn't done the job.

34 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

Given the level of time and support and 40 odd million spent that wasn't afforded to the other .candidates (SOD McInnes Pulis Osman etc) it's an opinion based on facts.

Never has so much been spent - and so many players been signed - and so much time allowed - to one manager ......who has gone to achieved f'uc'k all

Yeah, but like your 'opinion', yours is sh*ttier than everyone elses...

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

He has actually spent £64M and the ONLY player he's actually signed and sold at a profit is Webster. All the others he's sold (or rather Ashton has sold) were either here already (Bryan Reid etc) or signed by other managers (Flint Kodjia) Kodjia being our record profit.

My point - which you miss entirely - is that given the time, money, signings, and backing... Given to no other BCFC manager...he had clearly has under achieved massively.

Had LJ had the constraints that McInnes SOD etc worked under then I'd say he'd done a reasonable job........but that's not the case. He's had the tools & hasn't done the job.

So Ashton gets the credit for selling, but LJ gets the blame for buying?

40 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

The tiresome “he’s had more money than anyone else” argument....

...doesn’t allow for the exponential growth of transfer fees

...doesn’t account for the relative spending of rival clubs

...doesn’t acknowledge that we’re competing in the second tier while some managers were in the third

...doesn’t consider the value of the squad inherited (hint: LJ inherited a tiny squad full of returning loanee after the disastrous summer of 2015)

....doesn’t consider the limitations of our wage structure and how it compares to rival clubs

...and doesn’t even allow for inflation.

It’s a lazy, weak argument that means nothing without full context.

12 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

“Clearly under achieved massively”

...17th biggest net spend over the last five years

...10th biggest gross spend over the last five years

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/championship-teams-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/championship-last-five-season

Best GJ - Yes Cotts gave sub a brilliant season, but it was in league one with a budget that far outstripped everyone bar arguably Sheffield United. GJ did the impossible getting us top 4, and was unlucky to not see us go up to the Premier League. 

Worst - Coppell. So much promise (James and Hunt signing from the prem) so little return

19 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

What you neglect to factor into the equation is that part of the reason that LJ had  these record resources is due to the major income rises for the CLUB set against many. 

It's all there in the accounts. 

The profits on transfers are another part of the equation too.

Parts that you choose to neglect to mention. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Clearly under achieved massively”

...17th biggest net spend over the last five years

...10th biggest gross spend over the last five years

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/championship-teams-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/championship-last-five-season

I'm comparing to other City managers- the point of this thread......not other championship clubs/managers which is another discussion entirely

You're clearly an LJ appologist who can't see how poorly he's performed despite being given every opportunity.  What other manager signs 4 central midfield players in the summer - adding to established midfield Smith & Brownhill, with a £1m player already loaned out.....and STILL wants another. 

A 1st team squad of 37 - not including the players loaned our (10 I think)..And he needs more?

He needs to go.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The best - Terry Cooper. We could well not even have a club if it wasn`t for him.

The worst - Pulis. The closest I`ve ever come to wanting City to lose to get him sacked (and I don`t think I was alone)

Well quite. 

Though I will forever have a hopeless man crush on Alan Dicks. I'm not gay or owt mind. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What you neglect to factor into the equation is that part of the reason that LJ had  these record resources is due to the major income rises for the CLUB set against many. 

It's all there in the accounts. 

The profits on transfers are another part of the equation too.

Parts that you choose to neglect to mention. 

He sold ONE player at a profit.

I could take over Man Utd and sell Rashford for £50 Million - doesn't make me a good manager.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Best: why would anyone choose anyone other than Alan Dicks?

Worst: Thats difficult because as people have pointed out, circumstances and finances played their parts too, but I thought the football under Tinnion was as the worst we ever played. Loved him as a player but woeful as a manager. 

I took it to be Managers since Dicks, hence my choice of Jordan, if it was supposed to include Dicks, then I’d pick him.

Code.. 

Noone  can under achieve when we were (last season) and are again this season challenging for play off place in Prem league. 

Money is irrelevant, ask Leeds, Man U etc. It guarantees nothing and the numbers are so much bigger (buys and sells) than just 5yrs ago they cannot be compared

I suspect this thread is flushing out those true fans with good opinions from those non-fans with a pathetic agenda. 

Great Stoke proved how good this division is this year and interesting to see if we go on another great Lee J run to catch up those 9 points

Archived