IGNORED

Best and Worst Managers

Hampshire Red

37 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He sold ONE player at a profit.

I could take over Man Utd and sell Rashford for £50 Million - doesn't make me a good manager.

Can't quite see what your not understanding. No one is saying that the sales make him a good manager they are saying that we had money to spend because of those sales. And if you were man u manager and set old Rashford for £50million you'd want to spend that money replacing him. 

15 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Code.. 

Noone  can under achieve when we were (last season) and are again this season challenging for play off place in Prem league. 

Money is irrelevant, ask Leeds, Man U etc. It guarantees nothing and the numbers are so much bigger (buys and sells) than just 5yrs ago they cannot be compared

I suspect this thread is flushing out those true fans with good opinions from those non-fans with a pathetic agenda. 

Great Stoke proved how good this division is this year and interesting to see if we go on another great Lee J run to catch up those 9 points

I'd like to reply but your post is unintelligible ...best leave it for tonight.

51 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I'm comparing to other City managers- the point of this thread......not other championship clubs/managers which is another discussion entirely

You're clearly an LJ appologist who can't see how poorly he's performed despite being given every opportunity.  What other manager signs 4 central midfield players in the summer - adding to established midfield Smith & Brownhill, with a £1m player already loaned out.....and STILL wants another. 

A 1st team squad of 37 - not including the players loaned our (10 I think)..And he needs more?

He needs to go.

If you think I’m an LJ apologist then you clearly haven’t checked my posting history over the last few weeks. I also happen to think it’s time for a change.

But you’ve made the claim that he has underachieved given how much money he’s had to spend. I’ve proven to you that isn’t the case.

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Best managers has to be Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. Even in Jordan's 2nd term he still assembled a decent squad that Ward just had to tweak to get us promotion.

I understand the feel good factor that Gary Johnson brought to the club, but the football was pretty boring at times. Cotts showed how to win promotion in style.

Worst - too many to mention, but got to be between Osman, Pulis and O'Driscoll.

I'd give Benny the benefit of the doubt. In the season we got relegated, if there were another half dozen games I reckon he would've kept us up. He got us playing pretty decently in the end.

Pretty good summary i'd say. GJ football was very boring, not for me at all.

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

Can't quite see what your not understanding. No one is saying that the sales make him a good manager they are saying that we had money to spend because of those sales. And if you were man u manager and set old Rashford for £50million you'd want to spend that money replacing him. 

Iindeed...but too many of the players signed (with that money) have been poor/don't play/get loaned out/aren't starting.

I honestly think - for example - Cotterill would have got us promoted by now had he been given the money LJ has ....even allowing that Reid Bryan etc would always have been sold. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you think I’m an LJ apologist then you clearly haven’t checked my posting history over the last few weeks. I also happen to think it’s time for a change.

But you’ve made the claim that he has underachieved given how much money he’s had to spend. I’ve proven to you that isn’t the case.

1. Why on earth would I want to check your posting history? Who does that?

2. You've proved nothing. What has he achieved? ( nearly being around the top 6 and finishing 10th isn't an achievement...and SL agrees)  Even SL has had enough of being asked for money for yet more players every window. 

Maybe the 'Worst managers at City would have been a better queation' 

Coppell odds on with McInnes and Pulis close?? 

Stoke proved how good this division is this year and interesting to see if we go on another great Lee J run to catch up those 9 points

Baggies forum of of coach-haters:1win in 6 and losing to local rivals. Imagine if that happened to our Lee this season! 

Objectively LJ might be the best given we are getting consistent top half finishes in the Championship but I think I would place him fourth. I’d place Joe Jordan third, although I think he would have been higher had he not left when he did. First place I suppose has to be GJ given we got to the playoffs under him which is the best finish we had since Dicks, and he got us a promotion but I think I enjoyed the football most under Cotts.

Yes, it was a division lower and we had the  biggest budget but it was almost total football at times and superb to watch.

As for worst, probably SOD, which is a shame as I had really wanted him as a a manager and had high hopes based off what he did at Doncaster. But the football was dour and he was even more so.

You also have to take into account the situation at the club at the time. Hodgson is clearly a top class manager, Houghton had taken a team to the European cup final. They were unfortunately here under possibly the worst board and in the worst financial position the club have ever been in.

I wonder what either of them would have done in a stable environment?

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Best GJ - Yes Cotts gave sub a brilliant season, but it was in league one with a budget that far outstripped everyone bar arguably Sheffield United. GJ did the impossible getting us top 4, and was unlucky to not see us go up to the Premier League. 

Wasn't there a discussion around the time that we bought the division, but when you compared our outgoing transfer fees vs incoming transfer fees, we were acutally in credit?

(Admittedly, that doesn't take into consideration the wages of the players we had on board)

On 20/01/2020 at 18:47, Hampshire Red said:

Its around 40 years since (Sir) Alan Dicks departed and we've had about 20 managers since then. Of these who are the best and worst? Clearly most success at this level has been the last season or two and so Lee Johnson is likely to be the clear winner but interesting to see other candidates; Cotts perhaps as we were brilliant in that lower league, Danny WIlson because of his entertaining style of play ..anyone else?

And worst? Pulis, McInnes, just to name a couple

18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You also have to take into account the situation at the club at the time. Hodgson is clearly a top class manager, Houghton had taken a team to the European cup final. They were unfortunately here under possibly the worst board and in the worst financial position the club have ever been in.

***I wonder what either of them would have done in a stable environment?

***No guarantee either would have been galloping successes.... Horses for courses and all that. ?

On 20/01/2020 at 21:26, CodeRed said:

He has actually spent £64M and the ONLY player he's actually signed and sold at a profit is Webster. All the others he's sold (or rather Ashton has sold) were either here already (Bryan Reid etc) or signed by other managers (Flint Kodjia) Kodjia being our record profit.

My point - which you miss entirely - is that given the time, money, signings, and backing... Given to no other BCFC manager...he had clearly has under achieved massively.

Had LJ had the constraints that McInnes SOD etc worked under then I'd say he'd done a reasonable job........but that's not the case. He's had the tools & hasn't done the job.

But who trained and coached them to become very saleable assets? you conveniently miss that point to fit your agenda. Reid was a player many on here wanted gone, laughed at LJ when he said he would be a 5m player, but turned him into a striker and sold for double that.

We have evolved and moved forward massively, we are not now fishing in the bargain basement gas land, we are selling player for tens of millions and buying players back in to try and replace and develop, but not all of them will work out.

Things are not right on the pitch at the moment but also not that far off and we have evolved miles away from where we were even a fews years ago.

On 20/01/2020 at 21:52, Red-Robbo said:

Best Dicksy  Worst SOD

I didn't think it would be possible for me to fall asleep from boredom during a live football game - but SOD's tactics managed it.

SOD just needed more time. ? TBH I think LJ’s tactics are on a par for boredom. 

Based on my age and on entertainment value best and worst 

Danny Wilson (Best)

LJ (worst)

On 20/01/2020 at 22:06, City Rocker said:

Well quite. 

Though I will forever have a hopeless man crush on Alan Dicks. I'm not gay or owt mind. 

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

… dicks out?  ?

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Sounds more like Dick's IN !

Dick's In …. Dick's Out …. Shake it all About,  Do The Hokey Kokey And Turn Round  - Thats What It's All About!

Hey Ho The Hokey Kokey, Hey Ho The Hokey Kokey, Hey Ho The Hokey Kokey .....

Dick's In! Dick's Out! Rah! Rah! Ra!... !!  

Up The Robins! ?

1 hour ago, Rich_s said:

SOD just needed more time. ? TBH I think LJ’s tactics are on a par for boredom. 

Based on my age and on entertainment value best and worst 

Danny Wilson (Best)

LJ (worst)

I certainly think the way we played v Shrewsbury looked like SOD's spirit of tedium had possessed Johnson's body.

However, Barnsley,  though not a vintage performance, had addressed some of the pointless tippy-tappy stuff and was at least interesting to watch. Partly that was because Barnsley themselves played an open formation and were going for it.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But who trained and coached them to become very saleable assets? you conveniently miss that point to fit your agenda. Reid was a player many on here wanted gone, laughed at LJ when he said he would be a 5m player, but turned him into a striker and sold for double that.

We have evolved and moved forward massively, we are not now fishing in the bargain basement gas land, we are selling player for tens of millions and buying players back in to try and replace and develop, but not all of them will work out.

Things are not right on the pitch at the moment but also not that far off and we have evolved miles away from where we were even a fews years ago.

You can't defend him

£64M spent

57 players signed

37 man  first team squad - over 40 when loans return

8 windows & 4 years

And he STILL hasn't built a balanced and cohesive side,  doesn't know his best team, formation, or tactics. Or developed an "identity" (despite talking about one a lot - even Holden couldn't say what it was when asked).

He's a fraud who has bullshitted us for years with his gobbledygook talk of box entries, clutch, POMO, Xg corridor of uncertainty, and all the rest of his claptrap.

He's never won anything, never got a team to a top 6 finish anywhere, no track record.

Other managers have been quoted on this thread as being the worst e.g. Benny Pulis McInnes SOD even Coppell - but all those have had success before or after City and their lack of success at City was due to budget or other constraints.

LJ has had everything he wanted - in spades - and achieved nothing. And that Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury is why you must find him GUILTY of being our worst manager 

6 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Other managers have been quoted on this thread as being the worst e.g. Benny Pulis McInnes SOD even Coppell - but all those have had success before or after City and their lack of success at City was due to budget or other constraints.

So, which one of those would you take back right now?

15 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You can't defend him

£64M spent

57 players signed

37 man  first team squad - over 40 when loans return

8 windows & 4 years

And he STILL hasn't built a balanced and cohesive side,  doesn't know his best team, formation, or tactics. Or developed an "identity" (despite talking about one a lot - even Holden couldn't say what it was when asked).

He's a fraud who has bullshitted us for years with his gobbledygook talk of box entries, clutch, POMO, Xg corridor of uncertainty, and all the rest of his claptrap.

He's never won anything, never got a team to a top 6 finish anywhere, no track record.

LJ has had everything he wanted - in spades - and achieved nothing. And that Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury is why you must find him GUILTY of being our worst manager 

Was not trying to defend him, more pointing out that you are very selective with your facts, which you twist to match your agenda

On 20/01/2020 at 19:50, Antman said:

cooper / Jordan - Best

Osman / Pulis - worst (Osman actually wins that for the dire way we played, the utter dross he filled the squad with and the cynical way he went about becoming manager, like a great coiffured cuckoo !)

Jordan and Coops were terrific. I've got to be defensive about Osman though. He had absolutely sod all money to spend (and then the board wanted change) and had to be reliant on the likes of Pennyfather and McKop. In complete contrast, when Jordan took over, money wasn't a problem. 

Archived