IGNORED

Best and Worst Managers

Hampshire Red

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Was not trying to defend him, more pointing out that you are very selective with your facts, which you twist to match your agenda

Facts are facts. 

Ok h e probably has an ok win ratio and he's been in charge whilst Ashton has flogged a couple of SOD & Cotterill's players which brought in a few mill, And he beat Man U.

I'm not sure what other facts I can add, I search for positives.....but there aren't any. 8 windows,57 signings and he still is looking at defenders midfielders and wants 2 strikers.  Enough is enough.

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Facts are facts. 

Ok h e probably has an ok win ratio and he's been in charge whilst Ashton has flogged a couple of SOD & Cotterill's players which brought in a few mill, And he beat Man U.

I'm not sure what other facts I can add, I search for positives.....but there aren't any. 8 windows,57 signings and he still is looking at defenders midfielders and wants 2 strikers.  Enough is enough.

How about finishing in a better league position each year?

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

So, which one of those would you take back right now?

Cotterill !

My point is that those listed weren't good at City but there was mitigatng factors.

LJ has had time money , more money, employed a large back up team of analyists scouts coaches and drones, and - even more money.

Benny by far the worst. His training methods and tactics sounded pretty hilarious.

Hard to say the best. Cotts did a great job in taking us up but did an awful job in championship. We were certainly heading down under him.

It's interesting people say Cotts is best. 

But John Ward got us promoted, then struggled in championship.

Can't see a massive difference. I'd even say Ward probably didn't have the advantage of a bigger budget than every club in league one.

That promotion season was also very entertaining, played some great stuff with Goater and Cramb up top. Goodridge entertaining us on the wing with his tricks.

For me in more recent times league one success under Lansdown's backing is obviously impressive, but to fail at the next hurdle is quite poor.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's interesting people say Cotts is best. 

But John Ward got us promoted, then struggled in championship.

Can't see a massive difference. I'd even say Ward probably didn't have the advantage of a bigger budget than every club in league one.

That promotion season was also very entertaining, played some great stuff with Goater and Cramb up top. Goodridge entertaining us on the wing with his tricks.

For me in more recent times league one success under Lansdown's backing is obviously impressive, but to fail at the next hurdle is quite poor.

Ward was a much better manager IMO.

Cotterill was lucky that alot of big contracts ran out, leaving him a decent budget to bring in the likes of Korey Smith, Luke Freeman Wilbraham etc.

Also had some very good players already here - Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan etc

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Benny by far the worst. His training methods and tactics sounded pretty hilarious.

Hard to say the best. Cotts did a great job in taking us up but did an awful job in championship. We were certainly heading down under him.

Cotts wasn't backed though was he ? Not even a tenth of what SL has given LJ, despite that he managed to sign Kodjia who remains our biggest nett profit sale and the epitome of Steve Lansdown's sustainability model of buy young talent cheaply,improve,add value and sell at a profit............

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Cotts wasn't backed though was he ? Not even a tenth of what SL has given LJ, despite that he managed to sign Kodjia who remains our biggest nett profit sale and the epitome of Steve Lansdown's sustainability model of buy young talent cheaply,improve,add value and sell at a profit............

Did imagine the bids for Gayle and Gray?? something like 9m?

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He must have been backed to be able to sign the players he did to get us promoted surely?

And he completely messed it up when going up to championship. Attempting to splash out on star strikers.

34 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Cotterill !

My point is that those listed weren't good at City but there was mitigatng factors.

LJ has had time money , more money, employed a large back up team of analyists scouts coaches and drones, and - even more money.

None of the 5 you mention then?

In terms of league positions over a longer period (and in the Championship) LJ beats all of them hands down.

I prefer Cotterill as a person and will forever be grateful for what he did for us, but I wouldn’t put him above LJ simply because what he achieved was in League One.

23 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Best players in cotts team that got us up all came for peanuts or nothing.

Elliot, wilbraham, flint, pack, ayling, fielding.

They certainly didnt chuck money at him, il give cotts that.

Plus Smith Freeman Little and Williams

That's 10 .....only Fielding and Flint cost money - both signed under SOD.

I think the only fee Cotts paid was Agard in the double winning team.

5 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

None of the 5 you mention then?

In terms of league positions over a longer period (and in the Championship) LJ beats all of them hands down.

I prefer Cotterill as a person and will forever be grateful for what he did for us, but I wouldn’t put him above LJ simply because what he achieved was in League One.

LJ has won nothing achieved nothing. Ever.

Get us in the play offs , a final or something. Just because he finishes 9th or whatever that is not an achievement.

Even SL is growing impatient with him.

Cotterill who you casually write off has (without checking I add) I think 5 promotions on his CV.  Something I doubt LJ will ever achieve

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

LJ has won nothing achieved nothing. Ever.

Get us in the play offs , a final or something. Just because he finishes 9th or whatever that is not an achievement.

Even SL is growing impatient with him.

Cotterill who you casually write off has (without checking I add) I think 5 promotions on his CV.  Something I doubt LJ will ever achieve

I presumed you were talking only of his time at Bristol City. You originally mentioned 5 managers you believed to be better than LJ, and when I asked which one you would take back as a replacement, you named someone else.

For managerial ability, not results:

Best is Cooper, had little or nothing to work with, worked miracles with what he could scramble together and laid the foundations for the success Jordan later enjoyed.

WorstLousy Pint for all the reasons made public and the Judge's wholly accurate assessment as to his honesty and trustworthyness; Coppell for all the reasons not made public and despite SL giving him ample reason to walk there's something deeply sinister in his psyche and, like Keegan, tales I was told when in the 4th estate persist.

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

I presumed you were talking only of his time at Bristol City. You originally mentioned 5 managers you believed to be better than LJ, and when I asked which one you would take back as a replacement, you named someone else.

Well of course I wouldn't take them back NOW.....they all managed here a long time ago - most in the last century!,  Benny is retired and pushing 80 for example.  That's why I said Cotts.

None of the 5 are currently working in the efl or PL. 

As to wether - back at the time - they were better managers than LJ then demonstrably they all were before joining as all of them had at least 1 promotion on their cv. None worked out here for various reasons ( McInnes and SOD had to drastically cut wage bill whilst staying competitive, Benny came to be DOF but was thrust in when JW quit, Pulis football style +gas background wasn't liked and shouldn't have been hired,  Coppell quit when SL interfered in his recruitment plans)

Best , easy for me. TC. Saved the club, put money in the club, worked in the club shop, got us to win at (the real) Wembley . Just an all round great guy.

Worst.... Osman , Pulis , Osman , SOD , Osman.... did I mention Osman? 

Never forgive Osman for that midweek trip to West Ham, he didn't even have a plan of hat to do if we got in their half ! Just defend from the Half way line, worst football ever.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Best , easy for me. TC. Saved the club, put money in the club, worked in the club shop, got us to win at (the real) Wembley . Just an all round great guy.

Worst.... Osman , Pulis , Osman , SOD , Osman.... did I mention Osman? 

Never forgive Osman for that midweek trip to West Ham, he didn't even have a plan of hat to do if we got in their half ! Just defend from the Half way line, worst football ever.

Osman was pretty bad. I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned him...

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Totally Agree

Archived