Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire Red

Best and Worst Managers

Its around 40 years since (Sir) Alan Dicks departed and we've had about 20 managers since then. Of these who are the best and worst? Clearly most success at this level has been the last season or two and so Lee Johnson is likely to be the clear winner but interesting to see other candidates; Cotts perhaps as we were brilliant in that lower league, Danny WIlson because of his entertaining style of play ..anyone else?

And worst? Pulis, McInnes, just to name a couple

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Its around 40 years since (Sir) Alan Dicks departed and we've had about 20 managers since then. Of these who are the best and worst? Clearly most success at this level has been the last season or two and so Lee Johnson is likely to be the clear winner but interesting to see other candidates; Cotts perhaps as we were brilliant in that lower league, Danny WIlson because of his entertaining style of play ..anyone else?

And worst? Pulis, McInnes, just to name a couple

As a Bristol City Manager or in their career as a whole? You could argue for example that Pulis has proved to be a good Manager, even though his team here were virtually unwatchable.

Roy Hodgson is surely the most successful man to have managed us? Have we had anyone else who has gone on to coach a top national side (relative to the world England are a top national side).

This site has some interesting facts and figures to go by, although it seems to have gone a bit weird when it comes to Lee Johnson's personal record. :) 

image.png.57f779ee8a441669f19bd5fba24732f0.pngimage.png.c529b12a8517a88ddbbf1639a9ec22c8.pngimage.png.113889329570abfad68535b8693b47a4.png

image.png.250dbba104efae460d6ee10630e0badc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This site has some interesting facts and figures to go by, although it seems to have gone a bit weird when it comes to Lee Johnson's personal record. :) 

image.png.57f779ee8a441669f19bd5fba24732f0.pngimage.png.c529b12a8517a88ddbbf1639a9ec22c8.pngimage.png.113889329570abfad68535b8693b47a4.png

wikipedia gives LJ's current stats as: numbers are, in order, Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%.

Bristol City 6 February 2016 Present 204 81 52 71 39.7

Best Lil Lee. Established Champ side for first time in 40 years. Yes pls. 

Worst. O'Driscoll by miles

Flattered to deceive. Millen starting with a very decent draw vs Newcastle on the telly. 

Should have stuck around Benny, we're only now catching up 20odd years later

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

wikipedia gives LJ's current stats as: numbers are, in order, Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%.

Bristol City 6 February 2016 Present 204 81 52 71 39.7

Yes I saw that but wasn’t sure how quickly it is updated.

One thing I noticed is that from Sam Hollis through to Keith Millen, the old adage of “never go back” is true for Bristol City managers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

For me

Best Jordan or Johnson snr

Worst Tinman

Johnson Snr, someone started a thread on here about faith. I don’t think I have ever had faith in a Manager for such a sustained period. He created something different here for at least two seasons, LJ got close to it around the period up to the Man City games, and it would be great if he could get anywhere near that again. 

• Like 2

cooper / Jordan - Best

Osman / Pulis - worst (Osman actually wins that for the dire way we played, the utter dross he filled the squad with and the cynical way he went about becoming manager, like a great coiffured cuckoo !)

• Like 1

Danny Wilson was an enigma. 47 percent win ratio. Built a decent squad and played some great football but achieved nothing in terms of promotion. 

Best manager since I started watching in 1992 would be Cotts. Picked up a side on its ass and in short order, turned it into a team that scored 99 points and brought home our first divisional title since the 50s. 

Worst manager. O'Dismal without question. 

Osman wasn't great but we won at Liverpool and he had a handful of kids as signings in his last year. 

Pulis played dull as shit football but didn't really do anything too damaging. 

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I saw that but wasn’t sure how quickly it is updated.

One thing I noticed is that from Sam Hollis through to Keith Millen, the old adage of “never go back” is true for Bristol City managers.

Wiki says it's updated as of the Barnsley game on Saturday. I think it is all comps as well rather than league only. All comps tends to inflate the win% as if you win two cup games and then lose that's 2 in the win column and one in the loss column. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

LJ got close to it around the period up to the Man City games

Halcyon days. Then I got my Wolves supporting mate round to watch that game at the end of 2017...and it's never really been the same since. 

• Like 1

The best - Terry Cooper. We could well not even have a club if it wasn`t for him.

The worst - Pulis. The closest I`ve ever come to wanting City to lose to get him sacked (and I don`t think I was alone)

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

In my time watching ,Best for me Cotts he got a connection between the fans and team like I have never known we where all one in the special double winning season, will never forget that,

Garry Johnson a close 2nd, that first season in the championship where we almost went up was amazing just ashame it fell apart afterwards,

Worst has to be Pulis the worst football I have ever seen, followed by Millan so far out of his depth, 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Another unnecessary dig. Well played

Oh come on, you just can’t disagree with that bit. It’s fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Aubergine 1

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh come on, you just can’t disagree with that bit. It’s fact. 

A little pop quiz for you.....

https://www.theguardian.com/newswise/2019/oct/07/lesson-7-identifying-the-difference-between-fact-and-opinion

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Best Terry Cooper

Worst Lee Johnson

Saying Lee Johnson given the options available here is frankly pathetic.

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Best Terry Cooper

Worst LJ

See above.

• Like 2

It's interesting how poor O'Driscoll was with us and the plummet to the bottom of League One was quite stunningly bad, so he's a strong candidate, given his reasonable track record prior to us. Seemed a reasonable candiatr for rebuilding that was necessary, how wrong it was!

Cotts as best, I dunno- we went up in fantastic style but GJ made us a top 10 Championship side too- granted 2009/10 was a Millen bounce as caretaker after GJ left.

GJ best to date, for me- in my time.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Saying Lee Johnson given the options available here is frankly pathetic.

See above.

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

The same as an opinion. And that's mine. Yours is different - fair enough.

Given the level of time and support and 40 odd million spent that wasn't afforded to the other .candidates (SOD McInnes Pulis Osman etc) it's an opinion based on facts.

Never has so much been spent - and so many players been signed - and so much time allowed - to one manager ......who has gone to achieved f'uc'k all

• Aubergine 6
  • Rovers 2
  • Snake 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Really useful to have that. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

Given the level of time and support and 40 odd million spent that wasn't afforded to the other .candidates (SOD McInnes Pulis Osman etc) it's an opinion based on facts.

Never has so much been spent - and so many players been signed - and so much time allowed - to one manager ......who has gone to achieved f'uc'k all

Achieved “f’uc’k all”. You must be one of these weird blokes with an agenda. Such a pathetic argument that he’s spent 40 million, net spend we will have made money whilst he’s in charge. Win percentage wise he will be up there of all our managers and not many recently have made us an established championship side.

• Like 1

Best managers has to be Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. Even in Jordan's 2nd term he still assembled a decent squad that Ward just had to tweak to get us promotion.

I understand the feel good factor that Gary Johnson brought to the club, but the football was pretty boring at times. Cotts showed how to win promotion in style.

Worst - too many to mention, but got to be between Osman, Pulis and O'Driscoll.

I'd give Benny the benefit of the doubt. In the season we got relegated, if there were another half dozen games I reckon he would've kept us up. He got us playing pretty decently in the end.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Achieved “f’uc’k all”. You must be one of these weird blokes with an agenda. Such a pathetic argument that he’s spent 40 million, net spend we will have made money whilst he’s in charge. Win percentage wise he will be up there of all our managers and not many recently have made us an established championship side.

He's achieved nothing.

4 years ago when he was appointed - if during his first speech he'd said that over the next 4 years I'm going to spend £40+million on 57 players over 8 windows and still be mid table championship .....we'd all have been horrified (including SL!).

Who appoints a manager with the remit of spend a fortune and achieve nothing?

• Confused 3
  • Aubergine 1

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He's achieved nothing.

4 years ago when he was appointed - if during his first speech he'd said that over the next 4 years I'm going to spend £40+million on 57 players over 8 windows and still be mid table championship .....we'd all have been horrified (including SL!).

Who appoints a manager with the remit of spend a fortune and achieve nothing?

Firstly we weren’t a mid table championship side when he took over, we were getting relegated. We’ve been fighting for a playoff place for the most of the last 3 seasons. You completely ignored what I said about net spend, and he wouldn’t have had to sign so many players if we weren’t a selling club. When you sell a player you have to replace them, that’s how football works.

Bring back Sam Hollis!

My personal favourite - Terry Cooper. Not only saved the club (along with Mr Williams) but also had something really special with the fans. Those who mention Cotts' connection with the fans and players were not, I'd guess, around in TC's day.

Osman and Pulis are the two managers in my 50+ years who, I felt, had something other than the club's best interest at heart. Pulis' interest was cash. Osman's was himself. SOD, O'Driscoll, Tinns, Millen, all unsuccessful (sometimes for reasons outside their control) but they wanted to do their best for the club.

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Firstly we weren’t a mid table championship side when he took over, we were getting relegated. We’ve been fighting for a playoff place for the most of the last 3 seasons. You completely ignored what I said about net spend, and he wouldn’t have had to sign so many players if we weren’t a selling club. When you sell a player you have to replace them, that’s how football works.

He has actually spent £64M and the ONLY player he's actually signed and sold at a profit is Webster. All the others he's sold (or rather Ashton has sold) were either here already (Bryan Reid etc) or signed by other managers (Flint Kodjia) Kodjia being our record profit.

My point - which you miss entirely - is that given the time, money, signings, and backing... Given to no other BCFC manager...he had clearly has under achieved massively.

Had LJ had the constraints that McInnes SOD etc worked under then I'd say he'd done a reasonable job........but that's not the case. He's had the tools & hasn't done the job.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Ar'sehole

Everybody has one

Yeah, but like your 'opinion', yours is sh*ttier than everyone elses...

He has actually spent £64M and the ONLY player he's actually signed and sold at a profit is Webster. All the others he's sold (or rather Ashton has sold) were either here already (Bryan Reid etc) or signed by other managers (Flint Kodjia) Kodjia being our record profit.

My point - which you miss entirely - is that given the time, money, signings, and backing... Given to no other BCFC manager...he had clearly has under achieved massively.

Had LJ had the constraints that McInnes SOD etc worked under then I'd say he'd done a reasonable job........but that's not the case. He's had the tools & hasn't done the job.

So Ashton gets the credit for selling, but LJ gets the blame for buying?