IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Values Wells at £4million then. Seems a bit high to me for a player OOC at the end of the season. Scorers cost money though and I’d imagine Burnley may have to repay a part of the loan fee from QPR.

Little high but he's a goalscorer who's available in January and knows the league, if he helps a team get promoted its 4m well spent. Even if you don't get promoted you've probably got a good scorer for at lest 1-2 seasons in this league. 

Afobe and Wells as a possible strike partnership next season! 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Burnley have a year option.  Will retain value because of this.

Bit like us with Eliasson.  He’s still full value, because we can offer him a year extension..

Didn't you roughly work out that we might have about 4 million to play with in this window Dave?

If so then 3 + 4 could be around 7 to further strengthen?

Maybe I have that wrong? If not then that's a decent amount that could bring in a bit more quality.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Didn't you roughly work out that we might have about 4 million to play with in this window Dave?

If so then 3 + 4 could be around 7 to further strengthen?

Maybe I have that wrong? If not then that's a decent amount that could bring in a bit more quality.

I did, but I forgot Webster’s £20m didn’t include his initial fee or sell-on, so I reckon it was much less, probably closer to zero, hence “trade” in the main.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I did, but I forgot Webster’s £20m didn’t include his initial fee or sell-on, so I reckon it was much less, probably closer to zero, hence “trade” in the main.

Ahh that's a shame. Could have done with that million we would earn from Liverpool game!

Guess that's why we offered 2 players on loan for Lyle Taylor. If we literally have no money.

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I Did say back in post 121 that we should use our Bermudan connection. The Goat is a legend there and I am sure Nahki Wells played for his Bermuda Hogges team that he set up to play in the USL development league. In his book (the one he signed for me when I met him in Hamilton :innocent06:) Goater said that Bristol made him feel at home because of it's seafaring nature, get him to give the lad a call. :)

Crazier coincidences have led to signings! Didn’t Cotts bump into Wilbs in a hotel? Lansdown needs to give the Goat a call. 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Ahh that's a shame. Could have done with that million we would earn from Liverpool game!

Guess that's why we offered 2 players on loan for Lyle Taylor. If we literally have no money.

I think the suggestion was that we only offered one at a time, probably someone like O’Dowda, they said no, so we then tried Palmer, they still said no.

Youre right about the money for Liverpool.  £1m (est) not to be sniffed at.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps our ability to buy is inextricably dependent on the Brownhill situation.  It is either offset by selling now, or for 7m in the summer.

There is talk on the thread of Wells wanting to stay with QPR. What  I do not understand is we are constantly told that work on transfers is all year round and of the  meticulous planning and research that goes into our work on transfers. So why, if all this is true, are we chasing a player that does not want to play for us. Signing proven strikers id hard enough doesn't this make that much harder. Surely the work that has gone in before the window opened would highlight an issue like this and prevent potentially more wasted effort.

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

There is talk on the thread of Wells wanting to stay with QPR. What  I do not understand is we are constantly told that work on transfers is all year round and of the  meticulous planning and research that goes into our work on transfers. So why, if all this is true, are we chasing a player that does not want to play for us. Signing proven strikers id hard enough doesn't this make that much harder. Surely the work that has gone in before the window opened would highlight an issue like this and prevent potentially more wasted effort.

By all accounts, that came from a QPR interview and their fans were hoping they would sign him on a free in the summer. As Burnley have a supposed years' option on him, I can't see that happening plus QPR are supposedly skint and can't afford him at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

By all accounts, that came from a QPR interview and their fans were hoping they would sign him on a free in the summer. As Burnley have a supposed years' option on him, I can't see that happening plus QPR are supposedly skint and can't afford him at the moment. 

Good points by both.

However it’s also possible that the Brownhill to Burnley rumour has opened up an option for Wells that didn’t exist a week ago.  I guess this is the domino cliche.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good points by both.

However it’s also possible that the Brownhill to Burnley rumour has opened up an option for Wells that didn’t exist a week ago.  I guess this is the domino cliche.

I guess we'll find out soon if Burnley recall him Dave. That would surely suggest he's heading somewhere. 

7 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Very good point which seems to have been missed in this thread.  If what's reported is true, why waste time trying to sign someone who wants to stay at QPR! 

8 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

There is talk on the thread of Wells wanting to stay with QPR. What  I do not understand is we are constantly told that work on transfers is all year round and of the  meticulous planning and research that goes into our work on transfers. So why, if all this is true, are we chasing a player that does not want to play for us. 

I want to know why we need a massive army of analysts to ID this guy as the answer to our striker hunt. OTIB has been targeting him since before Johnson was manager! 

51 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I want to know why we need a massive army of analysts to ID this guy as the answer to our striker hunt. OTIB has been targeting him since before Johnson was manager! 

When Johnson was first manager Wells’ stock was high, he went to the premier league so was outside our budget and reach. When he was first available on loan, we had Bobby here and probably didn’t feel he was needed. 
Finally, it’s looking like we have a bargaining chip (Brownhill) that makes a deal financially viable for us and attractive for Burnley.

I have no doubt all the OTIBers would have clubbed together to raise the money to buy him and pay his wages at the time, perhaps SL should have asked them? 

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Very good point which seems to have been missed in this thread.  If what's reported is true, why waste time trying to sign someone who wants to stay at QPR! 

It is not a good point and has been covered. What else is he going to say.

If he signs for us it will suddenly be his dream move - it’s all playing the game surely?

43 minutes ago, Meh said:

It is not a good point and has been covered. What else is he going to say.

If he signs for us it will suddenly be his dream move - it’s all playing the game surely?

I will play last one game for QPR... that last game being against us... ?..scores a hatrick .... ?

1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Bit of a superfluous sentence there. Absolutely nothing about that article is precocious. It’s exaggerated noncesense lacking a semblance of truth

If it were a child that wrote it, I would say that child would be precocious.

With regard to your comment - bit like this thread then ;)

Archived