IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unless their attention has turned to Joe Allen.

May well do - but he'll be 30 in March, 6 years older than Brownhill.

However, JA has played a lot of Premiership games so they may want the experience rather than the potential at this time.

I just wonder if Brownhill is being pushed out to make way for incomings, that leak of his release clause came at a good time - was it Gregor that posted it ? 

Back on topic - Forest seem to have made a bid for Wells, hopefully we've made a better one but I'm thinking Toney is priority and on his way here, his profile fits perfectly but it may depend on Brownhill.

Interesting few days coming up..

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

May well do - but he'll be 30 in March, 6 years older than Brownhill.

However, JA has played a lot of Premiership games so they may want the experience rather than the potential at this time.

I just wonder if Brownhill is being pushed out to make way for incomings, that leak of his release clause came at a good time - was it Gregor that posted it ? 

Back on topic - Forest seem to have made a bid for Wells, hopefully we've made a better one but I'm thinking Toney is priority and on his way here, his profile fits perfectly but it may depend on Brownhill.

Interesting few days coming up..

Wasn’t leaked by the club, which is interesting, unless they initiated it.

All if a sudden there seems to be some movement.  Ashton under huge pressure.  Under more than Lee, who’s eased a bit with 3 wins out of 4.

The more I think about this one, the less I enthuse about it.

1. (Most importantly) I don't see what Well's motivation will be (to join us). He's happy at QPR, he's not stepping up, he has no connection with the area, etc. His only motivation will therefore be money, which leads me on to 2.

2. He will be expensive. He will be on a wedge at Burnley, so will not be cheap. He will also command a sizeable (but not extortionate) fee, which is unlikely to be recouped in full, due to age.

3. Is his style (poacher) what we need? Could play with Fam, but instead of? I have my doubts.

25 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

1. (Most importantly) I don't see what Well's motivation will be (to join us). He's happy at QPR, he's not stepping up, he has no connection with the area, etc. His only motivation will therefore be money, which leads me on to 2.

2. He will be expensive. He will be on a wedge at Burnley, so will not be cheap. He will also command a sizeable (but not extortionate) fee, which is unlikely to be recouped in full, due to age.

3. Is his style (poacher) what we need? Could play with Fam, but instead of? I have my doubts.

Agree with 1 and 2, but to 3 I'd say he definitely is what we need

26 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

1 and 2 are good points and certainly risks. If we're going to spend big though...

on 3 though, I think that's what we need, with Fam. Fam is a great 10/15 goal a season striker, but we need a man man. A Bob Taylor to the Fam that is Robbie Turner.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

1 and 2 are good points and certainly risks. If we're going to spend big though...

on 3 though, I think that's what we need, with Fam. Fam is a great 10/15 goal a season striker, but we need a man man. A Bob Taylor to the Fam that is Robbie Turner.

Totally agree - given our expected goals, Fam's return is very respectable. If we can find his 'Bob Taylor', then both he and the team will elevate.

If Nahki plays with Fam, I'd be okay with it. My concern is that I fear we're looking to replace Fam with Nahki and I don't think that will work (there are better replacement options, IMHO).

36 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Is his style (poacher) what we need?

He's certainly a "Johnnie on the spot"(something we miss at times!) but I always thought he scores all types of goals...decent free kick,,good pen taker,,fair share of strikes around the edge of the box....don't see him as 'just' a poacher..

2 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Totally agree - given our expected goals, Fam's return is very respectable. If we can find his 'Bob Taylor', then both he and the team will elevate.

If Nahki plays with Fam, I'd be okay with it. My concern is that I fear we're looking to replace Fam with Nahki and I don't think that will work (there are better replacement options, IMHO).

I’m pretty sure we will need to replace Fam this summer .

22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Perhaps, but I think us fans sometimes overlook the fact that these guys are professionals. I would like to think that ‘motivation’ wouldn’t be a problem. Also, he is a goal scorer and (I would imagine) 20,000 cheering you and singing your name, fells retry good wherever it is done. 

6 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

He's certainly a "Johnnie on the spot"(something we miss at times!) but I always thought he scores all types of goals...decent free kick,,good pen taker,,fair share of strikes around the edge of the box....don't see him as 'just' a poacher..

Fair analysis. He's an excellent 2nd striker, who could play off Fam, but can he lead the line? Will the ball stick with him if he's upfront on his own?

Fam's issues in this respect are, in my view, often due to a lack of support. He can't simply win a header, flicking the ball on, as there's no one to run onto it (Weimann will be running, of course, but lord knows where). Hence he has to bring it down and hold it up - a tough ask for the very best of players. A strike partner running off him would give him more options (he seems to work well with his international strike partner, perhaps we should enquire about him).

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Perhaps, but I think us fans sometimes overlook the fact that these guys are professionals. I would like to think that ‘motivation’ wouldn’t be a problem. Also, he is a goal scorer and (I would imagine) 20,000 cheering you and singing your name, fells retry good wherever it is done. 

Professionals 'Yes', but they are also people and have families that are people too. No matter how professional you are, motivation is a complex equation - a lot of factors need to align to get the best out of people. Kasey being a classic example.

33 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Fair analysis. He's an excellent 2nd striker, who could play off Fam, but can he lead the line? Will the ball stick with him if he's upfront on his own?

Fam's issues in this respect are, in my view, often due to a lack of support. He can't simply win a header, flicking the ball on, as there's no one to run onto it (Weimann will be running, of course, but lord knows where). Hence he has to bring it down and hold it up - a tough ask for the very best of players. A strike partner running off him would give him more options (he seems to work well with his international strike partner, perhaps we should enquire about him).

Depends on team style.  If you wanna lump 50 yard balls from our back 4 to him, might as well not bother.  If you’re gonna pkay a bit more on the deck, and get shorter passes into him chest down then why not.

Last season him worked really well off Matt Smith at AG, knew where the nod downs were going, knew when he needed to run the sides.

Aguero would struggle to play up top on his own with our current style.

54 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Professionals 'Yes', but they are also people and have families that are people too. No matter how professional you are, motivation is a complex equation - a lot of factors need to align to get the best out of people. Kasey being a classic example.

True, but Italian Dave was calling his (possible) motivation into question.  We all agree there are plenty worse places to raise a family than Bristol so I do not think any of us can use his motivation, one way or another, as an option.  Players always say they are happy where they are, right up until the moment they leave (apart from that Rovers player who gave the fans the 'V' sign as he left the pitch once ?)

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

True, but Italian Dave was calling his (possible) motivation into question.  We all agree there are plenty worse places to raise a family than Bristol so I do not think any of us can use his motivation, one way or another, as an option.  Players always say they are happy where they are, right up until the moment they leave (apart from that Rovers player who gave the fans the 'V' sign as he left the pitch once ?)

As did Ian Baird.

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Sounds like you’re conflating your needs with the clubs here

6 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

That's as good a summary of our strike force this season as I've seen! The number of times Fam wins the ball in the air and then has to chase his own flick on.....

Archived