IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You sure we are not in for Wells?

Surely he is a better goalscoring striker than Weimann.

I don't really see Weimann as an out and out striker like Wells.

Weimann more a support striker or wide forward.

EDIT. Ahh you're a Leeds fan?

Weimann is not a bad striker but he's made to be in a front three on the right, I swear if we played that system you'd see him shine as he's great at pulling players wide to create space in the middle. The issue with Weimann is that he cannot make those penetrating runs we had with Afobe, the runs that end in dangerous situations for the opposition and cause panic, this is where Wells is different. Wells loves  to get into the box, making diagonal runs from the edge of the box inwards and that's what we're missing.  Wells also has much better technique at finishing and is far calmer under pressure in the box.

All in all Weimann is a front 3 wide striker, Wells is a poacher/off the ball runner who has better technique and plays far better in a front two, Wells would be nothing but an upgrade for us.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

Weimann is not a bad striker but he's made to be in a front three on the right, I swear if we played that system you'd see him shine as he's great at pulling players wide to create space in the middle. The issue with Weimann is that he cannot make those penetrating runs we had with Afobe, the runs that end in dangerous situations for the opposition and cause panic, this is where Wells is different. Wells loves  to get into the box, making diagonal runs from the edge of the box inwards and that's what we're missing.  Wells also has much better technique at finishing and is far calmer under pressure in the box.

All in all Weimann is a front 3 wide striker, Wells is a poacher/off the ball runner who has better technique and plays far better in a front two, Wells would be nothing but an upgrade for us.

Yep. Many have said about Weimann's great movement, but he doesn't really make good runs into central areas. He seems to run wide right or sometimes wide left. Starting central and running wide.

This can be very effective. But people saying he can be a main number 9 with someone like Palmer behind him, I just can't see that working. 

He seems to only be happy with the ball in space too. He does not like keeping hold of the ball, especially with his back to play. 

But with his runs, how many times have we seen Weimann go one on one with the goalkeeper like we did Afobe.

People will say he makes the runs, it's our midfielders that don't spot it. 

I don't agree. He doesn't make runs that can get him in one on one's with the goalie at all, or very rarely.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know for some reason you think social media is unreliable, but it's really not the case. It's about sifting through information and using your own judgement to see which you believe.

Social media is unreliable and because of that I only believe a player has signed is when announced officially on the OS.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I’d do £3.5m + Wells any day of the week. 

That’s what I call Wells with Bells on. 

Wishing Wells ? would sign ?

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Will we sell Brownhill for 3.5m and wells or will we sell him for 7 and buy wells for 3.5m  

Surely we’d rather the former as we’d get a better %chunk of future transfers if we put in such a clause. Burnley would presumably prefer the latter. I wonder if teams ever think about this and meet roughly in the middle. 

@Coppello am I right that even if a swap, each transfer is treated separately.  We are likely to owe Preston some sell-on percentage, so although it would be good to say Wells is free and Josh £3.5m, I’m not sure that is the rules (or fair).

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s all wild speculation and conjecture. Only those involved in recruitment know what is happening yet we see numerous threads about various players that City are allegedly  ‘interested’ in or ‘linked’ with and  these rumours frequently stem from the ever unreliable social media.............:cool2:

Being old school I simply wait until I see a signing announced on the OS - then I know that it’s a done deal.

Really ? That’s a big surprise as you’ve never mentioned it before 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd want a bit more than that to be honest.

Of course, but someone (cough, cough) has brought it out into the public domain that he has a release clause of £7m in the summer.

Brownhill is obviously seen as being a prem quality player and is still young.

...or perhaps “one for the future”?  We are all judging JB like he’s gonna go straight into their first team.  He might, he might not.

Wells is seen as a championship player and getting on 30.

But as proven at this level in the price bracket we are shopping in.

Both not long left on contract.

Correct, but one has a release clause, one doesn’t!

In January I'd expect more for Brownhill when taking those things into account.

That release clause is worse than Kalas’s hamstring for us as the selling club.  See further reply to Riaz below.

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Need him now and He’s available to everyone at 7m...

There will be other clubs interested in the summer.

we shouldn’t take 7m now. We are pretty much guaranteed that fee in the summer so might aswell keep him unless someone makes it worthwhile us losing him now

One thing to consider is that “if” that release clause is £7m straight with no negotiated add-ons included....then £6-7m now plus appearance based add-on, relegation-avoid add-ons, and future profit percentage is much more attractive now...

....plus will sit in this year’s (19/20’s) Account’s, where the £7m will be in June/July, and therefore in 20/21’s accounts.

That could have a bigger bearing than some are considering.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Many have said about Weimann's great movement, but he doesn't really make good runs into central areas. He seems to run wide right or sometimes wide left. Starting central and running wide.

please acknowledge (even if only the teeny-ist, weeny-it’s bit) that part of the reason for Weimann making the runs he does COULD be because Diedhiou takes his space.  Please!!!

This can be very effective. But people saying he can be a main number 9 with someone like Palmer behind him, I just can't see that working.

He started 18/19 initially with Pato, then with Taylor off him, as our “main forward”, seem to recall he got a goal a game whilst Fam was suspended.

He seems to only be happy with the ball in space too. He does not like keeping hold of the ball, especially with his back to play.

Yeah, not his strongest suit I admit.

But with his runs, how many times have we seen Weimann go one on one with the goalkeeper like we did Afobe.

see my first point above.

People will say he makes the runs, it's our midfielders that don't spot it.

I know it’s tough because you’re there to watch the whole game, but sometimes it’s great to ignore the ball and just watch one player, or just watch shape, for example.  One of the best games I ever watched (because I was neutral) was Villa v Man Utd in the early days of the Prem.  Monday night soccer, but my two MU supporting mates got tickets in the Holte End.  As I was behind the goal, I spent much of the match watching Villa’s two strikers Atkinson (rip Dailan) and Dean Saunders, to see their movement.  I watched Dalian stand hands on hips central all game, whilst Deano ran the CBs and full-backs all over the place.  Did he run central?  Not often, but he came short, spun his marker, tried to position himself to take advantage of his marker passing him on, but then darting in behind.  I saw that night, that he was better than I thought.  If you do spend 45 minutes just watching Weimann, if you’re still of the same opinion, then fine, but you may surprise yourself.

I don't agree. He doesn't make runs that can get him in one on one's with the goalie at all, or very rarely.

...and at Championship level those chances aren’t regular things anyway, defences are generally not caught out over the top / through the middle.  Well, certainly not as regular as Lg1 / Lg2.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello am I right that even if a swap, each transfer is treated separately.  We are likely to owe Preston some sell-on percentage, so although it would be good to say Wells is free and Josh £3.5m, I’m not sure that is the rules (or fair).

Yeah, it's a lot simpler contractually to have them as two separate transfers executed at the same time. It happens so infrequently compared to the amount of paper talk and conjecture online.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think we owe Preston nothing. Technically he was a free agent when we signed him but still had to pay Preston compensation due to him being u23

9 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Think we owe Preston nothing. Technically he was a free agent when we signed him but still had to pay Preston compensation due to him being u23

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

Have a read, tribunals pretty consistently setting add-ons. 9 out of the 10 examples involved a sell-on percentage.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

There's got to be one of you ****ers on here who knows something worth having. If so please give us hope

Unfortunately Nakhi's signature comes with a hefty price tag for his personal troupe of motorcycle cheerleaders............................Wells' Angels.

Some ITKers at our end saying we're also in for Wells. Despite the owner loosening the purse strings this month on Sinclair and supposedly being willing to splash out on a centre forward, I can't see us competing on fee and wages with so many clubs interested in him.

Cant believe were bein held to ransom for wells , is he having a half decent season yes is he actually anything special nope done very little prior to his qpr loan , we are so desperate its embarrasing , our scouting team need a kick up the arse we should of had our business done early in january.

22 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Cant believe were bein held to ransom for wells , is he having a half decent season yes is he actually anything special nope done very little prior to his qpr loan , we are so desperate its embarrasing , our scouting team need a kick up the arse we should of had our business done early in january.

Accept got promoted twice and got a move to a prem club, yea nothing.......

also you do know nearly no club does business at the start of the window, jan is a sellers market, the earlier you do business the more expensive it is

Archived