IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

MacAnthony (on Sky) saying Brentford given ultimatum of £10m + £2m add-ons and loan back to Peterborough (payment start in summer).

He drives a hard bargain for strikers.

I wouldn’t expect anyone to go for that deal, need a striker now, agree a big fee & then leave him where he is, no thanks. If Brentford or us (if we’re in for him) got promoted, we’d probably be in the market for better again by the summer, so any club would potentially be stuck with a £12m forward of little use!

44 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Bet your fun to go out with on a Friday night, its a punt at success, its backing the manager, the squad and a fantastic (hopefully) present to us the fans. 

Cheer up, it might just happen ???

It’s a punt worth taking, he knows where the net is and proven at this level.

His goals could cement a top six finish.

Wells has better goals to minutes ratio than any other striker (in the top 20 or so scorers) for the championship this season. Also 29 is hardly ancient, 3 years younger than Grabban as someone else said. 

If we pull this off for under £5m this is a hell of a signing for me. 

so expect announcement that Dyche has changed his mind and decided to give wells minutes at Burnley for the rest of the season on sky sports news shortly......

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Sorry but why do you think the personal terms are not agreed? There's no reason why they wouldn't be is there?

Just interested to know if you know something we don't.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Er, that’s against the rules. 

Were not allowed to speak to the player without permission being granted... which effectively means we must agree the fee. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To be blunt, yes ?

However, also ask yourself why Mike McGrath hasn't gone as far as saying it's basically a done deal and has instead only said a fee has been agreed...

I always assumed this was why players have agents? You might not be able to talk to a player, but you can talk to their agent to find out what they are looking for, Is that not the case?

He's the quick footed finisher who's right place right time, that I guess we hoped Matty Taylor would be.

This is an upgrade, so, good.

I want a forward who can stretch the play more as well, so no surprise we're looking at two, rather than just one player up there.

1 minute ago, Xspence said:

Wells has better goals to minutes ratio than any other striker (in the top 20 or so scorers) for the championship this season. Also 29 is hardly ancient, 3 years younger than Grabban as someone else said. 

If we pull this off for under £5m this is a hell of a signing for me. 

so expect announcement that Dyche has changed his mind and decided to give wells minutes at Burnley for the rest of the season on sky sports news shortly......

I doubt if Dyche has much love for us after his time at the club, so you never know. If this is paving the way for him to come back for Josh in the Summer though, I am sure that will be a clincher.

Personally very happy with Wells.  If we were signing him having hardly kicked a ball for Burnley all season for the same sort of fee which is being rumoured then it could rightly be considered a risk but you can't ignore the fact that he's played half a season of football for QPR and scored goals.  Good business I say. 

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He's the quick footed finisher who's right place right time, that I guess we hoped Matty Taylor would be.

This is an upgrade, so, good.

I want a forward who can stretch the play more as well, so no surprise we're looking at two, rather than just one player up there.

Agree

1 minute ago, SnozRobin said:

Make no mistake, Nahki Wells is probably as good as it gets at the moment in terms of a proven championship striker that we can afford/attract.

Of course Dwight Gayle would be lovely but probably doesn’t want to come and almost certainly too expensive.

Agree, long time admirer of him since Bradford days.  Think he has a bit of “edge” to him too.

Last night, Eliasson (I think it was him on each occasion) put 4 balls into the box.

1. Weimann - good movement, got across his man at near post and headed just wide
  2. Pato - ditto, but too much head on it
  3. Diedhiou - didn’t get across his man, fouled him
  4. Diedhiou - different cross, but tried to win from behind his marker, who did enough to make him head over.

I think Wells’s movement will reap dividends with Eliasson.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I doubt if Dyche has much love for us after his time at the club, so you never know. If this is paving the way for him to come back for Josh in the Summer though, I am sure that will be a clincher.

Wouldn’t of thought Dyche cares one way or the other about us now, how long ago was he here, 20 years ago?

If he scores the goals that get us promotion this season, or even next, it doesn't matter if his resell value drops considerably over the duration of his contract. He would have done what he was evidently brought in to do. His stay at the club would then prove to have been of massive value considerably dwarfing the loss we'd make selling him on in his, by then, very early thirties.

5 hours ago, Lichfield eastend said:

According to a Burnley fan I know Wells is booked in for a medical at the Nuffield Hospital @ 2:30 this afternoon anyone around that area to check this out!!!

If only this had been a week or so ago... Was given time off while Windows 10 got updated and upgraded at work- could've wandered up and killed a bit of time. 

Assuming there was no sighting of his car, let alone him! Pesky work getting in the way of Transfer Window. :laugh:

We’re in the top six with a real shot at playoffs, and if we do bring in Wells, it’s buying the ‘proven’ frontman everyone is always crying out for (and we unfortunately lost in Afobe early doors).

Would be the statement of intent we rarely make, so pleased if we’ve actually gone out and done what we have tended to shy away from, which is put money in for an in-form and proven at this level player.

Would be actively funny playing him against QPR Saturday if he arrives too.

This is a really sensible signing. Proven Championship striker who's been in decent form, and we've seemingly beaten divisional rivals to his signature. Seems we've learned our lessons from previous Januaries.

He's a signing that won't really need to bed in and should chip in with goals straight away. Good stuff if it happens.

1 minute ago, Banjo Island said:

Afobe wells eliasson   mouthwatering propect

Really hope we get to see that partnership, Afobe and Wells could potentially be one of the best duos in the league. Eliasson supplying them and the likes of Paterson and Palmer back in form.. that's a really exciting forward line. 

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It’s a panic in terms of going against our own transfer philosophy 

So, by that logic, Ash Williams must have been a panic buy ?

We've been after this player for some time so no panic there at all.

As for the transfer philosophy, both MA and LJ have said (sensibly) that there will be these type of signings to help the team. The transfer policy shouldn't be taken literally imo. 

51 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Would rather spend 9m on Toney than 5m on Wells.

Not sure about that.  I don't think we would have paid anywhere near 5m - more like 3.5m I would think. Burnley paid 5m for him and didn't play him, they obviously want him off the wages and he's getting near the end of his contract. 

Toney is a huge risk at that sort of money and I really can't see any club paying it. Mind you the Peterborough owner does tend to exaggerate..

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is a really sensible signing. Proven Championship striker who's been in decent form, and we've seemingly beaten divisional rivals to his signature. Seems we've learned our lessons from previous Januaries.

He's a signing that won't really need to bed in and should chip in with goals straight away. Good stuff if it happens.

This. 

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

As for the transfer philosophy, both MA and LJ have said (sensibly) that there will be these type of signings to help the team. The transfer policy shouldn't be taken literally imo. 

Not sure about that.  I don't think we would have paid anywhere near 5m - more like 3.5m I would think. Burnley paid 5m for him and didn't play him, they obviously want him off the wages and he's getting near the end of his contract. 

Toney is a huge risk at that sort of money and I really can't see any club paying it. Mind you the Peterborough owner does tend to exaggerate..

Well considering Peterborough now supposedly want £10m+£2m in add-ons plus they want Toney loaned back for the rest of this season, it’s a no brainer now!

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It’s hard work on here!!  Williams was a free so little risk at all.  

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

352 with Wells and Weimann or 442 with him and Diedhiou upfront. 

Two nice options. Can't see him playing up top in the 4141 we've used recently. (Although second half it was more 4411 with Paterson close to Diedhiou.)

don't forget the very fluid 4 6 0 (false 9  and 10) :) 

Archived