IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

19 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

352 with Wells and Weimann or 442 with him and Diedhiou upfront. 

Two nice options. Can't see him playing up top in the 4141 we've used recently. (Although second half it was more 4411 with Paterson close to Diedhiou.)

I think 352 which means no Eliasson.

Don't get how someone as good as Eliasson can't play a kind of free role in behind 2 strikers, but obviously LJ doesn't think he can as he said he can't play in that system.

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really hope we get to see that partnership, Afobe and Wells could potentially be one of the best duos in the league. Eliasson supplying them and the likes of Paterson and Palmer back in form.. that's a really exciting forward line. 

Yes that certainly would be.

I am however wary of putting ‘the last piece of the puzzle’ in as when I look at the team overall we never seem to be complete, we’ve lost ( sold) another piece from another part. Yes I know that’s the ever changing nature of a football squad, but just for once can’t we keep all the useful pieces and not we left with a load of odd shapes that we struggle to fit in.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't get how someone as good as Eliasson can't play a kind of free role in behind 2 strikers, but obviously LJ doesn't think he can as he said he can't play in that system.

Played there once at home to Sheff U. Is his all round game good enough if he's unable to get crosses in? I don't know.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Shut up big nose!.....sorry couldn't resist Monty python quote!

Well could you imagine Weimann and Wells together? I certainly can't at the minute but I dont want Weimann being completely dropped because of wells.

Who are you calling big nose?!?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Played there once at home to Sheff U. Is his all round game good enough if he's unable to get crosses in? I don't know.

Yes that didn't work out. But he is a much improved player now.

He can drift either wing. But also his first touch is fantastic and we have seen at times like Huddersfield game him running through the middle with the ball.

Seemed to suit him when in those central areas.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Shut up big nose!.....sorry couldn't resist Monty python quote!

Well could you imagine Weimann and Wells together? I certainly can't at the minute but I dont want Weimann being completely dropped because of wells.

I'm Brian and so is my wife!

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought they often did that bit before fee being agreed? Or are you saying you know that is the case.

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Er, that’s against the rules. 

Were not allowed to speak to the player without permission being granted... which effectively means we must agree the fee. 

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I think he’s gonna turn us down. And I think it will be out fault. He was very happy at QPR posting lots on social media. Think he may play hardball here.

That's now how football transfers work in the real world! 

In the very first instance the club will contact the agent and sound out the players availability/interest in joining, in some cases the agent may have approached the club themselves saying player is available/interested in moving. 

The agent will likely act as a stockbroker between the clubs regarding the fee in the early stages. One of the very first conversations between club and agent would be the agent telling the club what contract the player wants, the reality is the contract is agreed long before a fee is agreed, kinda obvious when a club accepts transfer fee and then a hour later the player has signed. If you think about it there is no point in pursuing a transfer if you're going to be unable to agree personal terms. How many transfers fall due to being unable to agree personal terms once a bid has been accepted? Very few because of all I've said. 

In Wells case his agent would have been fully involved in the talks to cancel his loan, maybe he was even pushing for it. He might have been happy at QPR but I suspect he would be much happier on a 3 and a half year contract at a top 6 club. It would be very wrong to assume he had nothing to do with the recall clause being activated. He may have even pressed for it to be activated to try and force QPR into signing him permanently. He cant have felt wanted by them when they refused to do that! 

Wells seems like one of those players who thrives in a environment like the one we have, in an environment where he feels appreciated and loved and wantedIf he came here and fired us to promotion he would instantly become a club legend.

12 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Anybody agree with me that Toney looks like a donkey. Wells is a much better footballer

No, if he can translate his assets to Champ level he’s exactly what we need.  But that’s a £10+2m “if”.  Strong runner, quick, decent finisher, but unproven.

8 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I've got be honest; I've never rated Wells. Watched him a bit when he was at Huddersfield and always felt there was more effort than quality. But if he signs I don't think anyone can deny he improves our options up front. So in that respect, I'm all for it

That’s fair enough.  I’ve always liked him.  Always felt he was just above what we wanted / could afford, but I think we’ve caught up.

9 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Just seen this quote on QPR forums

"Yep just heard that.... joke. How can they pay millions again? FFP is a ####ing joke"

The same QPR that got promoted and went crazy buying any player that had a name. And SERIOUSLY regretted it in the following years. Not too mention our selling record.

Ah the same QPR who were paying Christopher Samba 100K pw not so long ago...

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think we will go three at the back now that we have let Bailey Wright go. Unless another CB is coming in we only have Kalas, Baker (both of which have injury history) , Williams (who is 35) and Moore. Bailey being allowed to depart i think signals that it is a back four till the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I don't think we will go three at the back now that we have let Bailey Wright go. Unless another CB is coming in we only have Kalas, Baker (both of which have injury history) , Williams (who is 35) and Moore. Bailey being allowed to depart i think signals that it is a back four till the end of the season.

Yeah I was thinking we may be in for another centre back. Still 2 days to go.

Looking at what LJ likes. He really would not have us defending corners with 2 six footers. He more or less said this a while ago.

To be fair he kind of has a point. Last night we were fantastic at defending corners. We had Fam, Baker and Williams and the others helped out. But take away Fam and we are far less comfortable.

Take away Fam and add Kalas which means 3 at the back, and no harm done.

Also if Brownhill goes, he is not exactly bad in the air and is back there defending corners. So him and Fam out and let's say Nagy/Massengo and Wells in and we are struggling imo.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I've got be honest; I've never rated Wells. Watched him a bit when he was at Huddersfield and always felt there was more effort than quality. But if he signs I don't think anyone can deny he improves our options up front. So in that respect, I'm all for it

I’ll dig out his stats tomorrow unless someone else has already. Some of his stats are exceptional relative to other Championship strikers this season and QPR fans certainly were impressed by him in the first half of the season.

Archived