IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

9 hours ago, RonWalker said:

I’ll dig out his stats tomorrow unless someone else has already. Some of his stats are exceptional relative to other Championship strikers this season and QPR fans certainly were impressed by him in the first half of the season.

As I said, just an opinion and obviously he's done very well this season. But buying a 29 year old on the basis of an uptick in stats over half a season isn't a great strategy. As I said; I'm all for signing him as he undoubtedly improves the squad, I just have some preconceptions of him as a player that I probably need to get over!

50 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Love to see Wells and a fit Afobe upfront.

Question - are we likely to be able to afford to buy Afobe in the summer if Wells does join?

Yes, think we can afford him.

33 minutes ago, Akira said:

Surely his bad injury reduces the fee/wage quite considerably? If so, then don't see why we wouldn't sign him! 

Option to buy already agreed at (we think) £2.5-3.0m. Because we paid a big loan fee.

I would think we’d tentatively agreed wages too.

Really hope he makes a full recovery. 

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

As I said, just an opinion and obviously he's done very well this season. But buying a 29 year old on the basis of an uptick in stats over half a season isn't a great strategy. As I said; I'm all for signing him as he undoubtedly improves the squad, I just have some preconceptions of him as a player that I probably need to get over!

He could be the man to finish those chances we do often bleat about. Every transfer is a gamble but Kid says less than £3m. That’s a snip. 

7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

It is if you look at our stats over the second half of the season over the last 3 years, goal scoring becomes a problem and results dry up,

fans normally put this down to not signing a proven striker in the jan window,

which by the looks is what we are doing

also another thing to note strikers hit their prom between 29-31 so in theory we should get the best years out of wells

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Looking at the reactions it looks as if  reddave is the only one against it,

obvously doesn’t want us to progress or make a promotion bid this season.....

I don’t think Wells is the correct signing and would prefer a younger striker in keeping with our previous transfer dealings. I would go all out for Toney having seen him 3 times this season, but the price being asked is ridiculous but would go for him at the end of the season and arrange a deal involving Sammy. For me this is panic signing and losing Josh for said deal, isn’t worth it. 

Feel like Wells is one of the most sensible January signing you could possibly make, in terms of getting a player that should be able to hit the ground running. Buying a Championship striker who’s been scoring frequently as opposed to a striker from League 1 or from abroad makes complete sense at this stage of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Could we potentially see Brownhill remain here on loan til end of season?

I doubt it. Burnley need midfield cover as Drinkwater went back to Chelsea earlier this month.

If they were going to let us hang on to Josh, surely they would have waited until the summer, when he would be cheaper?

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

I like our transfer policy but now and again you need to back that up with quality and experience that can have an instant impact. This is one of those signings.

Don't think we could of brought in much better this window.

I agree but a cm is now needed to replace brownhill

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Could we potentially see Brownhill remain here on loan til end of season?

No chance, they could have just waited until the summer and signed him for £7M.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

I agree but a cm is now needed to replace brownhill

A loan perhaps, but we have Palmer, Pato with Sammie and Morrell for next season.

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I doubt it. Burnley need midfield cover as Drinkwater went back to Chelsea earlier this month.

If they were going to let us hang on to Josh, surely they would have waited until the summer, when he would be cheaper?

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

No chance, they could have just waited until the summer and signed him for £7M.

I just cant see us selling him unless we have a replacement lined up, it doesn't make much sense to leave ourselves short in that area.

Yes they could of just signed him in the summer, but then have faced competition and then may miss out on him.

55 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I don’t think Wells is the correct signing and would prefer a younger striker in keeping with our previous transfer dealings. I would go all out for Toney having seen him 3 times this season, but the price being asked is ridiculous but would go for him at the end of the season and arrange a deal involving Sammy. For me this is panic signing and losing Josh for said deal, isn’t worth it. 

How on earth does this come into the category of a panic buy? They have worked on this deal for a good length of time and he fits the bill for the type of striker we want. The bonus is, he’s proven too. As for the age, we have always said that a player that fits our requirements will still be a target even if they are outside our price range. We have Williams here and Weimann is no youngster. It’s good to have some experience in the squad.

27 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Feel like Wells is one of the most sensible January signing you could possibly make, in terms of getting a player that should be able to hit the ground running. Buying a Championship striker who’s been scoring frequently as opposed to a striker from League 1 or from abroad makes complete sense at this stage of the season. 

Couldn't agree more! So many people moaning and groaning. We've ****** up so many times by not strengthening in January, and IMO this is going to be the best chance for getting to the Premiership in years. You can't always go for youth to sell on in the future, and as we've seen that sometimes doesn't work anyway. Great signing if we can get it over the line, and could be a great bit of business if we hit the 200 Million Jackpot!

If we don't, we don't, but at least this time we're given it a go, and it's not like we're spending 15 Million, we have some banked from Webster and Lloyd.

41 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

35 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I like our transfer policy but now and again you need to back that up with quality and experience that can have an instant impact. This is one of those signings.

Don't think we could of brought in much better this window.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How on earth does this come into the category of a panic buy? They have worked on this deal for a good length of time and he fits the bill for the type of striker we want. The bonus is, he’s proven too. As for the age, we have always said that a player that fits our requirements will still be a target even if they are outside our price range. We have Williams here and Weimann is no youngster. It’s good to have some experience in the squad.

Exactly - it's amazing how evidence shows how we've got it badly wrong in January before (when in hindsight we clearly would've been better off with a proven Championship forward). Now here we are, playoffs very realistic - people sceptical about a proven Championship goalscorer who's in his prime and looks like a great financial deal for the club.

Not every single signing we make has to have significant sell on - I'm sure Lee Johnson would agree there too. Sometimes we have to grasp the nettle and bring in someone who's 'oven ready' and we can almost guarantee will bed in immediately. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - it's amazing how evidence shows how we've got it badly wrong in January before (when in hindsight we clearly would've been better off with a proven Championship forward). Now here we are, playoffs very realistic - people sceptical about a proven Championship goalscorer who's in his prime and looks like a great financial deal for the club.

Not every single signing we make has to have significant sell on - I'm sure Lee Johnson would agree there too. Sometimes we have to grasp the nettle and bring in someone who's 'oven ready' and we can almost guarantee will bed in immediately. 

**shivers** 

Archived