IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - it's amazing how evidence shows how we've got it badly wrong in January before (when in hindsight we clearly would've been better off with a proven Championship forward). Now here we are, playoffs very realistic - people sceptical about a proven Championship goalscorer who's in his prime and looks like a great financial deal for the club.

Not every single signing we make has to have significant sell on - I'm sure Lee Johnson would agree there too. Sometimes we have to grasp the nettle and bring in someone who's 'oven ready' and we can almost guarantee will bed in immediately. 

Vydra or Adams would've perhaps excited me more e.g., but agreed- seems a good addition and the finances, have we the detail on this yet?

Both in terms of Wells and Brownhill.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How on earth does this come into the category of a panic buy? They have worked on this deal for a good length of time and he fits the bill for the type of striker we want. The bonus is, he’s proven too. As for the age, we have always said that a player that fits our requirements will still be a target even if they are outside our price range. We have Williams here and Weimann is no youngster. It’s good to have some experience in the squad.

In the sense that we desperately need a striker. It’s a good ‘panic’ buy but I see losing Brownhill and getting Wells as a retrograde step when his replacement, who I see as Walsh is out on loan. Yes we have midfielders but unless we are going to change the way we play I don’t see how we replace Brownhill with say Massengo, retain Brownhills goals and productivity and produce enough chances for our strikers.  I just would have done the deals differently, retained Brownhill to the end of the season and focussed on getting a striker or two in on loan. I’m not bemoaning signing Wells I just rate Brownhill higher in our current set up.

5 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

In the sense that we desperately need a striker. It’s a good ‘panic’ buy but I see losing Brownhill and getting Wells as a retrograde step when his replacement, who I see as Walsh is out on loan. Yes we have midfielders but unless we are going to change the way we play I don’t see how we replace Brownhill with say Massengo, retain Brownhills goals and productivity and produce enough chances for our strikers.  I just would have done the deals differently, retained Brownhill to the end of the season and focussed on getting a striker or two in on loan. I’m not bemoaning signing Wells I just rate Brownhill higher in our current set up.

If the release clause is true we could have lost Josh anyway. Just because we need a striker doesn't make buying one a panic buy. 

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I don’t think Wells is the correct signing and would prefer a younger striker in keeping with our previous transfer dealings. I would go all out for Toney having seen him 3 times this season, but the price being asked is ridiculous but would go for him at the end of the season and arrange a deal involving Sammy. For me this is panic signing and losing Josh for said deal, isn’t worth it. 

The Brownhill deal has nothing to do with the Wells deal! If the figures being bandied about are anywhere near true, then it’s a no brainer.

£3m or so for Wells, £10m or so for Brownhill (who will go for £7m in the summer) & £12m plus loaning him back to Peterborough for the rest of the season for Toney! So how does signing Toney help us out for the remainder of this season?

We are short of options up front, we are 6th in the table with the chance to sign the one English based striker seemingly available who has any form & his stats are good & we’re getting him for around £3m!! IF we missed out on the play-offs all because Diedhiou gets injured or suspended & we refused to pay £3m, can you imagine the meltdown towards the club? Previous summers have been bad enough when we haven’t seemingly pushed on for the last half of the season by getting a striker in during January.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

If the release clause is true we could have lost Josh anyway. Just because we need a striker doesn't make buying one a panic buy. 

Lost him for 7 million, if he wanted to leave and teams were still interested but yes. I’m just putting my pov to you, fair enough if you disagree and maybe panic signing was an incorrect term to use but generally most signings at the end of the January window illustrate a hint of something slightly approaching panic....

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

The Brownhill deal has nothing to do with the Wells deal! If the figures being bandied about are anywhere near true, then it’s a no brainer.

£3m or so for Wells, £10m or so for Brownhill (who will go for £7m in the summer) & £12m plus loaning him back to Peterborough for the rest of the season for Toney! So how does signing Toney help us out for the remainder of this season?

We are short of options up front, we are 6th in the table with the chance to sign the one English based striker seemingly available who has any form & his stats are good & we’re getting him for around £3m!! IF we missed out on the play-offs all because Diedhiou gets injured or suspended & we refused to pay £3m, can you imagine the meltdown towards the club? Previous summers have been bad enough when we haven’t seemingly pushed on for the last half of the season by getting a striker in during January.

Can't win with football fans. We need a striker so we go and buy the in form british based championship striker and its still not good enough.

People expect us to sign Aguero. Weird isn't it..?

1 minute ago, pride of the west said:

Nah he's too much hard work in the tomlin mould. My money is a move to hull for him. He's played for their manager before and Peterborough chairman said a mid table side will be in for him.

My Blackburn mate is suggesting them. 

16 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Can't win with football fans. We need a striker so we go and buy the in form british based championship striker and its still not good enough.

People expect us to sign Aguero. Weird isn't it..?

If we signed Ageuro people on here would still complain. He's too old, unproven in the Championship, Tired after Internationals etc etc

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Pray tell . . . 

Lots of energy, not much technique. Not particularly clinical. The stats this season certainly suggest I'm wrong on the last point, but it's just from watching him a few times at Huddersfield.

Not criticising the signing at all, he's proven to score goals in this division so I don't know what more we could ask for. I guess I'm just not excited as some and not convinced he's going to exactly 'bang them in' from now until the end of the season

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He could be the man to finish those chances we do often bleat about. Every transfer is a gamble but Kid says less than £3m. That’s a snip. 

He could be. And I agree that at the price KITR has mentioned, it's a good deal for a player who knows the division

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

If we signed Ageuro people on here would still complain. He's too old, unproven in the Championship, Tired after Internationals etc etc

How old is Wells? 28/29? Just hitting the prime /peak of his career as shown by his performances this season. We should get 2/3 years of him performing at his peak. No brainer really.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Feel like Wells is one of the most sensible January signing you could possibly make, in terms of getting a player that should be able to hit the ground running. Buying a Championship striker who’s been scoring frequently as opposed to a striker from League 1 or from abroad makes complete sense at this stage of the season. 

Completely agree...

If Wells signs & can stay fit ? we have given ourselves a real fighting chance at top six - which as you say is something we've not given ourselves the benifit of before!!...

Would now like to see Morrell back in the fold.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

How old is Wells? 28/29? Just hitting the prime /peak of his career as shown by his performances this season. We should get 2/3 years of him performing at his peak. No brainer really.

Exactly - i'm all for signing the likes of Toney but save it for the summer. At our league position and this stage of the season we need to sign a safer bet as our lead striker. Not someone who could take 3 months to bed in.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

It is if you look at our stats over the second half of the season over the last 3 years, goal scoring becomes a problem and results dry up,

fans normally put this down to not signing a proven striker in the jan window,

which by the looks is what we are doing

also another thing to note strikers hit their prom between 29-31 so in theory we should get the best years out of wells

Yep, a new striker was a must for January and we've signed one who knows the division and has been in good form this season. My indifference is from a few years ago and that was a season he got promoted so I should probably cheer up!

22 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Brownhill has a 7m release clause but we sell him for 10m? and buy Wells for 3m.

Maybe I'm a cynic but, as long as these numbers are correct, I feel like this will be some clever accounting to help us/Burnley FFP wise.

His release clause is for the final year of his contract so would kick in effect in the summer, we can ask what we want for him now. 

Usually we buy youth. And we get good value and have done well.

This time we are buying goals - for 3 seasons. If the fee is 3m. and we have him for 3 years, we're paying 1m a year for a goalscorer. Thats a good deal.

We can still try and find a younger goalscorer for the future.

Archived