IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Guess you are trolling as Taylor came up with some important goals. 75 appearances (48 brought on as a sub) 8 goals, 13 assists. Semenyo 16 appearances, zero goals and 1 assist. I'd much rather have Taylor on the bench than Semenyo. 

The problem is Semenyo has far more scope for improvement. Long term it doesn't make any sense to keep Taylor in our squad. 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A goal or an assist for every 1.6 championship games played. 
Agreed, he need & should have scored more, but that record isn’t that bad overall. 

Certainly doesn’t show that “he shouldn’t be anywhere near a championship team”

Compared to Semenyos 1 assist in 18 games so an assist every 9 games. 100% rather have Taylor on the bench to make an impact.

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Guess you are trolling as Taylor came up with some important goals. 75 appearances (48 brought on as a sub) 8 goals, 13 assists. Semenyo 16 appearances, zero goals and 1 assist. I'd much rather have Taylor on the bench than Semenyo. 

I get your point but I’d rather we give the minutes to Semenyo for the potential improvement 

3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

The problem is Semenyo has far more scope for improvement. Long term it doesn't make any sense to keep Taylor in our squad. 

I'm looking at this in the short term. I think we can all accept that we need to bring in 2 strikers to be suitably covered in the striking department. It looks like we may only bring the one in. We are in a great position in the league, if one of our strikers get injured or sent off then again we are short. With our current good position if we cant bring in 2 strikers I'd 100% bring a fit Taylor back to provide cover. Why even risk it? If we dont need Taylor then we havnt lost out, we are likely covering most of his wages anyways. if we do need him then that makes it the correct decision to bring him back.

3 minutes ago, leadman said:

Taylor not good enough.

Wells ...mm record is good but never impressed me when playing against us...

Just saying

I'm not saying Wells is perfect but in the last 30 days, he's scored 50% of the number of Championship goals that Matty Taylor has scored since joining us in 16/17.

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I get your point but I’d rather we give the minutes to Semenyo for the potential improvement 

We are now coming towards the business end of the season, we are in a great position, I am fully focused on us finishing in the top 6 by whatever means, I'm not interested in giving young players minutes between now and the end of the season just to get some development out of them. We cant afford to carry passengers. Get Taylor back, send Semenyo out on loan to get some experience. 

47 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

If Taylor and Semenyo each made 10 sub appearances between now and the end of the season, I'd bet my house and all my savings that Taylor would get more goals, assists and win us points than Semenyo. 

I think you're right. But only if you're thinking about results in the here and now, living just for today, making the play-offs at the end of the season being the be all and end all.

However our manager isn't living just for today. Part of his job description is to also have an eye on the future as well as success in the here and now.

The calculation he made at the start of the seaspn was that Semenyo could do what Taylor has done previously whilst at the same time developing and maturing into a much better player, one we might be able to sell for a profit further down the line.

Unfortunately that calculation has proved incorrect - just one of several factors that has made us weaker overall this season.

Taking everything into consideration, our league position is remarkable - something I have to accept, even though I'm bored witless by our style of play nearly every home game.     

1 minute ago, redrob said:

I could also change Wikipedia to show Salah, Mane and Van Dijk as being City players if it gets you that excited? 

Not a good start to your otib trying to cross swords with me, wouldn't bother trying to be clever with me as you will learn.

Archived