IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Would a straight swap - Brownhill for Wells - be such a bad deal?

They need a young ambitious midfielder. We need a proven goalscorer. 

Why not put age, subjective valuations and other biases out of the equation and just accept that it's a simple solution to a pressing problem?

I'm playing devils advocate a bit here, so...

thoughts?

Ok, playing devil’s advocate, would you sell your 2019 BMW sports car as a straight swap for 2015 Ford Galaxy because you need the extra passenger space, would you not feel that you might be entitled to a bit of extra money for the extra age you are letting go? Just playing devil’s advocate or is it easier to do because it isn’t your money you are giving away?

I’d say we were entitled to something extra, be that money up front or any number of extra clauses inserted.

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Ok, playing devil’s advocate, would you sell your 2019 BMW sports car as a straight swap for 2015 Ford Galaxy because you need the extra passenger space, would you not feel that you might be entitled to a bit of extra money for the extra age you are letting go? Just playing devil’s advocate or is it easier to do because it isn’t your money you are giving away?

I’d say we were entitled to something extra, be that money up front or any number of extra clauses inserted.

By using your analogy, I would have a week to negotiate and I would be up against a host of other parties interested in the Ford Galaxy. I would also know that the Ford Galaxy could potentially propel me to a successful life.

To avoid missing out, I'd be tempted to take the hit.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

By using your analogy, I would have a week to negotiate and I would be up against a host of other parties interested in the Ford Galaxy. I would also know that the Ford Galaxy could potentially propel me to a successful life.

To avoid missing out, I'd be tempted to take the hit.

How long does it take you to negotiate? Some will start thinking you’re MA if it’s taking you that long to sell your newish sports car for an oldish Ford Galaxy & at no extra finance ?

Surely, we aren't going to pay £7m for a 29 year old with no sell on value. Its just not a transfer we'd look to do, imo.

We may aswell just write this window off for getting a striker in and push the boat out to get Toney in before pre season starts. The prices are just way too inflated in January. Its a near impossible market to contend with.

Toney and Afobe upfront next season would be good enough for me! Their names rhyme as well.

19 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But Wells is a vastly superior player to Brownhill. 

A truer analogy would be to flip your vehicles. We’re trying to sell a 2019 Galaxy for a 2015 BMW sport. Burnley need the extra passenger space, we need proven get up and go. 

On 25/01/2020 at 21:22, Tipps69 said:

Fry but Boro are telling Burnley that even £30m won’t get him, so I can’t see why if Boro are going to be ridiculous about things that Burnley would look to do them any favours?

Boro want the Croatian CB we are supposed to be interested from Leicester so not sure he will go back

38 minutes ago, mozo said:

Would a straight swap - Brownhill for Wells - be such a bad deal?

They need a young ambitious midfielder. We need a proven goalscorer. 

Why not put age, subjective valuations and other biases out of the equation and just accept that it's a simple solution to a pressing problem?

I'm playing devils advocate a bit here, so...

thoughts?

If that were to happen I’d hope we’d recall Walsh or morrell 

Wells ..........too old and too expensive.  Instead of being held to ransom by Burnley, why don't don't we sign a young hungry Premiership striker on loan as we have done in the past.  I cannot believe that there is not a young Premiership striker available, who wants to prove himself with game time in the Championship?  There are 20 squads in the Prem, what happened to our great relationships with some of these teams?   We should spend big in the summer, prices for some strikers are just overpriced and absurd in this window........get working you transfer negotiators, and do your job  ?

27 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

How long does it take you to negotiate? Some will start thinking you’re MA if it’s taking you that long to sell your newish sports car for an oldish Ford Galaxy & at no extra finance ?

Then Nottm Forest swan in and buy the BMW and the Ford Galaxy from under your nose then take the final two places in the car park with them. 

:grr:

17 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Boro want the Croatian CB we are supposed to be interested from Leicester so not sure he will go back

It could be negotiations over Fry to Burnley & Gibson back to Uncle Steve have hit a stalemate & both have decided to move on, that’s why Middlesborough now want Benkovic.

Middlesborough also seem to be clearing a few out & getting their wage bill down (Randolph to West Ham & Assombalonga to whoever will pay for him).

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

So why is one wanted by a Premier League club and the other isn't? 

The premier league club think they can coach and improve the 24 year old. They think they are signing ‘potential’ and can realise more from the asset in a few years. 
Just like they did with the other one in 2017. They signed a 27 year old Wells for £5m and now feel they can get £7m for him after he’s hardly even played for them. 
They’ll take a 24 year old for £7m, think they can improve him, realise he won’t be good enough yet still be able to sell him for £9m in 3 years time. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

How do you know? 

The tweet that was sent out from someone within QPR who stated that Wells had gone back to Burnley states that they were wanting to sign him permanently but they were a way off with their valuations & that they wouldn’t risk FFP to sign a player.

And if he was likely to go to QPR permanently, why would Burnley bother to recall him only to send him straight back down to QPR?

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Wells ..........too old and too expensive.  Instead of being held to ransom by Burnley, why don't don't we sign a young hungry Premiership striker on loan as we have done in the past.  I cannot believe that there is not a young Premiership striker available, who wants to prove himself with game time in the Championship?  There are 20 squads in the Prem, what happened to our great relationships with some of these teams?   We should spend big in the summer, prices for some strikers are just overpriced and absurd in this window........get working you transfer negotiators, and do your job  ?

Can you guarantee that young hungry striker will score the goals you require or do you go with a proven goal scorer?

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Qpr want him on a permanent deal now ??

QPR also said they can’t afford him as it risks breaching their ffp

Archived