Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

17 minutes ago, Flagon said:

If we manage to get this deal done and he plays Saturday, how many other players can you remember that have transferred clubs and immediately played against their former club?

Scott brown for Cheltenham? Think he broke his leg aswell.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, chucky said:

I thought ffp was about what you are allowed to lose, not spend. 

Would like a lecture on how profit and loss works? If I spend money I don't have I make a loss. If I spend money in the hope I make more lonely as a result of it (see Aston Villa - for now), I'd better be pretty confident in my strategy or I could lose anawful lot more (see Derby, QPR, Birmingham etc). 

29 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So, with LJ now playing with one striker with success, where does Wells fit in ?

Can he play that role ?

Or will LJ change to two up front ?

I remember back in 2008 when we got Adebola in and GJ changed the system to fit him in - players since then have said it was a mistake which may have cost us promotion (nothing against Adebola who was a good player for us). I hope we're not going to make the same mistake again.

(not that he's signed for us yet of course)

Back to 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 ... signing wells should mean we get more goals! 

We always get over run in a 4 4 2 other than fulham away .. it doesnt seem to suit us ... maybe 4-4-1-1  with pato swapping with fam depending on home or away games... or then again could try weimann and wells up top ... if wells can link the play like Afobe... 

Im pretty excited if this comes off! 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To be blunt, yes 😂

However, also ask yourself why Mike McGrath hasn't gone as far as saying it's basically a done deal and has instead only said a fee has been agreed...

I have, but I'm bloody ignorant and didn't answer me.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Hopefully he is a goal scorer, but this transfer should have been done 3 years ago, not now! At 29 we will have to sell someone just to cover the reduction in transfer value that we will suffer as he gets older

So what do you suggest should be the cut off age for an elite level player in this division? 24, 25, 26? 3 years ago he would never of considered joining us.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

my worry is we will sign a player with no resell value, for a big sum on high wages and then everyone will realise he’s not as good as they seem to think

Theres always that risk. Especially with his age but he should have a couple of good seasons in him left!

my worry is we will sign a player with no resell value, for a big sum on high wages and then everyone will realise he’s not as good as they seem to think

Or he is what we need to win promotion, life's a risk, thats the fun bit 😊

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That’s football, every signing is a risk. Would rather risk it instead of wetting the bed too scared to even try.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Theres always that risk. Especially with his age but he should have a couple of good seasons in him left!

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

Or he is what we need to win promotion, life's a risk, thats the fun bit 😊

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

That’s football, every signing is a risk. Would rather risk it instead of wetting the bed too scared to even try.

The younger the player the less the risk. This is a panic buy

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

I agree that in the sense it may be a panic for the reason Nketamine was always the number 1 target and we are playing with a number of days to get a deal done, a player that has a record of 13 goals in 26 games this season is one hell of a good panic signing to make.

• Like 6

Bet your fun to go out with on a Friday night, its a punt at success, its backing the manager, the squad and a fantastic (hopefully) present to us the fans. 

Cheer up, it might just happen 😊😊😊

38 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Yeah, ask Derby, Birmingham, QPR & Sheffield Wednesday how those other ways are working out for them?

It’s not we’re in financial difficulties, we’re just playing to the rules of our governing body but I expect SL would love to get a £40m fine like QPR got just for signing someone that doesn’t guarantee anything.

It’s not like we’re planning on pushing the boat out for Ronaldo who is more likely to get us promotion but saying that, how’s Rooney working out for Derby?

I don't think it's the right time to debate this issue with you mate when we are on the verge of a decent signing. Happy to do it another time. Best. SK

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/burnley-f.c/payroll/

Suggest £25k per week (£1.3m pa).  Suspect Kalas on that.

Lets suggest a fee of £3.0m over 2.5 years (1 year option) on same wages (plus a nice little signing on fee).

FFP: (simplified to half a year)

19/20 - fee amortisation £0.6m, wages £0.65m  = £1.25m hit this year’s accounts

20/21 and 21/22 - £1.2m amortisation, £1.3m = £2.5m commitment each year.

22/23 - should we take up his option in summer 2021, then the commitment gets split over both years.

Definitely manageable imho.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I agree that in the sense it may be a panic for the reason Nketamine was always the number 1 target and we are playing with a number of days to get a deal done, a player that has a record of 13 goals in 26 games this season is one hell of a good panic signing to make.

It’s a panic in terms of going against our own transfer philosophy 

• phantom locked and unlocked this topic