Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Seems a good addition.

He's not my first choice of possible targets In January but he should definitely be a good addition...his track record plus the fact he will be sharp and confidence will be good- 15 goals this season is it!

I understand that there are concerns about the philosophy of young, sell on, possible profit but sometimes you need a blend. 29 is fine, arguably even within peak years for an outfield player, but a lot of variables of course.

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

I wouldn't - Wells is proven at this level

MacAnthony (on Sky) saying Brentford given ultimatum of £10m + £2m add-ons and loan back to Peterborough (payment start in summer).

He drives a hard bargain for strikers.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

MacAnthony (on Sky) saying Brentford given ultimatum of £10m + £2m add-ons and loan back to Peterborough (payment start in summer).

And never gets them haha. Didnt he want 6m for Marriott when it's well documented they paid 3.5m?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Crazy fee for Toney! Much rather have Wells for what is likely to be a third of the price

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

When he left bradford was when we should have gone for him.

wells is good but hes not elite level,,, thats gayle, bowen, watkins level. And at least 2 of them we should have signed 5 years ago when we had the chance

Would also put Vydra, and though he's only done it one season, possibly Adams ahead of Wells. Maybe not quite elite but closer to A-List than not.

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

A lot of fans I speak to are very frustrated that we let Watkins who was practically on our doorstep go to Brentford. Still LJ said we got Eliasson instead did he not?

Watkins didn’t want to come here

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

How do you know that? And if he didn't it could be because we couldn't match what Brentford were paying which is what LJ said once.

Because he’d been schmoosed by Brentford and they cut the better deal for him and Exeter.

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

My god how wrong can you be, 

younger players are more risk much much more,

they may not develop, they lack experience and situational awareness for a start,

it’s like you argue for the sake of it,

we could be signing Tammy and you’d post a reason not too

We couldn’t afford Tammy.  A young player will usually improve and has a resell value.  Wells is a £7-8m spend with no return unless we go up.  

No worries if you disagree mate. It’s only a forum. 

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

How do you know that? And if he didn't it could be because we couldn't match what Brentford were paying which is what LJ said once.

Monkeh is never wrong so he couldn’t have wanted to come here 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t expect anyone to go for that deal, need a striker now, agree a big fee & then leave him where he is, no thanks. If Brentford or us (if we’re in for him) got promoted, we’d probably be in the market for better again by the summer, so any club would potentially be stuck with a £12m forward of little use!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Bet your fun to go out with on a Friday night, its a punt at success, its backing the manager, the squad and a fantastic (hopefully) present to us the fans. 

Cheer up, it might just happen 😊😊😊

It’s a punt worth taking, he knows where the net is and proven at this level.

His goals could cement a top six finish.

• Like 1

Wells has better goals to minutes ratio than any other striker (in the top 20 or so scorers) for the championship this season. Also 29 is hardly ancient, 3 years younger than Grabban as someone else said. 

If we pull this off for under £5m this is a hell of a signing for me. 

so expect announcement that Dyche has changed his mind and decided to give wells minutes at Burnley for the rest of the season on sky sports news shortly......

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Sorry but why do you think the personal terms are not agreed? There's no reason why they wouldn't be is there?

Just interested to know if you know something we don't.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Er, that’s against the rules. 

Were not allowed to speak to the player without permission being granted... which effectively means we must agree the fee. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To be blunt, yes 😂

However, also ask yourself why Mike McGrath hasn't gone as far as saying it's basically a done deal and has instead only said a fee has been agreed...

I always assumed this was why players have agents? You might not be able to talk to a player, but you can talk to their agent to find out what they are looking for, Is that not the case?

• Hmmm 1

He's the quick footed finisher who's right place right time, that I guess we hoped Matty Taylor would be.

This is an upgrade, so, good.

I want a forward who can stretch the play more as well, so no surprise we're looking at two, rather than just one player up there.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Xspence said:

Wells has better goals to minutes ratio than any other striker (in the top 20 or so scorers) for the championship this season. Also 29 is hardly ancient, 3 years younger than Grabban as someone else said. 

If we pull this off for under £5m this is a hell of a signing for me. 

so expect announcement that Dyche has changed his mind and decided to give wells minutes at Burnley for the rest of the season on sky sports news shortly......

I doubt if Dyche has much love for us after his time at the club, so you never know. If this is paving the way for him to come back for Josh in the Summer though, I am sure that will be a clincher.

Make no mistake, Nahki Wells is probably as good as it gets at the moment in terms of a proven championship striker that we can afford/attract.

Of course Dwight Gayle would be lovely but probably doesn’t want to come and almost certainly too expensive.

• Like 7

Personally very happy with Wells.  If we were signing him having hardly kicked a ball for Burnley all season for the same sort of fee which is being rumoured then it could rightly be considered a risk but you can't ignore the fact that he's played half a season of football for QPR and scored goals.  Good business I say. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He's the quick footed finisher who's right place right time, that I guess we hoped Matty Taylor would be.

This is an upgrade, so, good.

I want a forward who can stretch the play more as well, so no surprise we're looking at two, rather than just one player up there.

Agree

1 minute ago, SnozRobin said:

Make no mistake, Nahki Wells is probably as good as it gets at the moment in terms of a proven championship striker that we can afford/attract.

Of course Dwight Gayle would be lovely but probably doesn’t want to come and almost certainly too expensive.

Agree, long time admirer of him since Bradford days.  Think he has a bit of “edge” to him too.

Last night, Eliasson (I think it was him on each occasion) put 4 balls into the box.

1. Weimann - good movement, got across his man at near post and headed just wide
  2. Pato - ditto, but too much head on it
  3. Diedhiou - didn’t get across his man, fouled him
  4. Diedhiou - different cross, but tried to win from behind his marker, who did enough to make him head over.

I think Wells’s movement will reap dividends with Eliasson.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I doubt if Dyche has much love for us after his time at the club, so you never know. If this is paving the way for him to come back for Josh in the Summer though, I am sure that will be a clincher.

Wouldn’t of thought Dyche cares one way or the other about us now, how long ago was he here, 20 years ago?

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

If he scores the goals that get us promotion this season, or even next, it doesn't matter if his resell value drops considerably over the duration of his contract. He would have done what he was evidently brought in to do. His stay at the club would then prove to have been of massive value considerably dwarfing the loss we'd make selling him on in his, by then, very early thirties.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Lichfield eastend said:

According to a Burnley fan I know Wells is booked in for a medical at the Nuffield Hospital @ 2:30 this afternoon anyone around that area to check this out!!!

If only this had been a week or so ago... Was given time off while Windows 10 got updated and upgraded at work- could've wandered up and killed a bit of time. 

Assuming there was no sighting of his car, let alone him! Pesky work getting in the way of Transfer Window. :laugh:

We’re in the top six with a real shot at playoffs, and if we do bring in Wells, it’s buying the ‘proven’ frontman everyone is always crying out for (and we unfortunately lost in Afobe early doors).

Would be the statement of intent we rarely make, so pleased if we’ve actually gone out and done what we have tended to shy away from, which is put money in for an in-form and proven at this level player.

Would be actively funny playing him against QPR Saturday if he arrives too.

• Like 9

This is a really sensible signing. Proven Championship striker who's been in decent form, and we've seemingly beaten divisional rivals to his signature. Seems we've learned our lessons from previous Januaries.

He's a signing that won't really need to bed in and should chip in with goals straight away. Good stuff if it happens.

• Like 6
  • phantom locked and unlocked this topic