IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

Rather have Taylor for all round game to be honest but Wells better than nobody !

Wells is a lot better than ‘nobody’. Taylor the better all around game though.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I mean Wells has more championship goals than Taylor has championship appearances. Taylor has 3 seasons in his career with 15 or more league goals. That is a season each in league 1, league 2 and scottish championship. 

Not sure we need an all around striker either. Fam is all around.
no, he’s not. And definitely no in the role we ask him to play.

Idk if Taylor scores more than Fam(genuinely don’t know). I do know we already have Fam here though and no further investment required. 

That said striker is the one position I’d take two. Ok they are both approaching 30 but if the fees are small then why not? Fam hasn’t got a new deal so he is gone in the summer as it stands. Weimann I think is good cover. I think 30 is a good age for strikers. You rarely see top strikers under 25 not at big clubs. Think they could each have another 4-5 years each at a 12-20 goals range. Also they are affordable. The list with affordable proven goal scorers that are affordable for us is small. Wells is on that list and while Taylor doesn’t convince me he did start well and could be worth it considering his contract situation

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can't even get close to agreeing with that.  Taylor never really got to grips with the Championship, wasn't able to find the touch required at the pace of the game and didn't score.  Wells is a class above all round.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Can't even get close to agreeing with that.  Taylor never really got to grips with the Championship, wasn't able to find the touch required at the pace of the game and didn't score.  Wells is a class above all round.

I was comparing Wells to Lyle Taylor (not Matty)

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I fail to see how he isn’t all around? Especially recently does everything he is asked. Pump it long he is winning flick ons. Get it to his feet back to goal he is holding it up and laying it off. Missed 3 sitters Saturday but that means he is where he is supposed to be. Fam does everything well but nothing great. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I fail to see how he isn’t all around? Especially recently does everything he is asked. Pump it long he is winning flick ons. Get it to his feet back to goal he is holding it up and laying it off. Missed 3 sitters Saturday but that means he is where he is supposed to be. Fam does everything well but nothing great. 

Does he ever roll his man, does he ever run the channels?  Rarely.  As a CB you rarely have to worry about Fam going in behind you, so you can mark as tight as possible.

Does he have the intelligence to know he’s taking Weimann’s space, or indeed intentionally make space for Weimann by dragging his man away (like Weimann did to 2 CBs for Eliasson’s goal).  Nope.

He’s very one dimensional in the role plays.  Yes, he has been good of late, but let’s not think he’s got an all-round game.

22 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Good player, but a difficult signing to make financially as he's on prem money and I would think if his contract is up in the summer as he can hang on until then and essentially get what would have been his transfer fee in his pay packet instead.

On the other hand though, perhaps he needs to be realistic with his expectations as well. He may well be on a higher wage because of promotions etc, but he's not (so far) cut it in the Premiership. Realistically he isn't going to get a Premiership move, and the higher placed teams in the Championship may well look elsewhere, especially if they plan to stay in the Premiership if/when they get there.

With that in mind, a mid table, playoff chasing team is probably the highest move that he would be able to get himself. Yes he could hold out until the summer and demand a higher signing on fee, but surely that potential signing on fee could still be offered in this window, along with a nice goal/promotion bonus, and a 3 year contract (for arguments sake).

He may well want to stay at QPR, or elsewhere in London. He may also not want to come to Bristol. It's definitely worth an enquiry if Burnley are looking to offload him though.

If they are also interested in Brownhill, then surely a smaller fee for him could also mean that Burnley effectively use the money they're saving to pay off Wells' contract to bring his salary more in line with ours? Just a thought....

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

On the other hand though, perhaps he needs to be realistic with his expectations as well. He may well be on a higher wage because of promotions etc, but he's not (so far) cut it in the Premiership. Realistically he isn't going to get a Premiership move, and the higher placed teams in the Championship may well look elsewhere, especially if they plan to stay in the Premiership if/when they get there.

With that in mind, a mid table, playoff chasing team is probably the highest move that he would be able to get himself. Yes he could hold out until the summer and demand a higher signing on fee, but surely that potential signing on fee could still be offered in this window, along with a nice goal/promotion bonus, and a 3 year contract (for arguments sake).

He may well want to stay at QPR, or elsewhere in London. He may also not want to come to Bristol. It's definitely worth an enquiry if Burnley are looking to offload him though.

If they are also interested in Brownhill, then surely a smaller fee for him could also mean that Burnley effectively use the money they're saving to pay off Wells' contract to bring his salary more in line with ours? Just a thought....

If we want to sign him now we'd have to pay a transfer fee to the club and match what the player and his agent think they could get in the summer, they're unlikely to be swayed by arguments that go along the lines of "maybe it won't materialise".  If his transfer value is the £3m or so mentioned in this thread that's £20k a week over three years that he can have for himself by waiting six months.  There are big championship clubs that will definitely be interested in paying, say, £50k pw total over three years if there's no transfer fee to cough up.  That's what will make this hard to do at the right value.

I don't think there's any real need to link transfers together - very rarely happens in practise because there's little point.  You can't avoid levies by doing p/x and FFP is unaffected.  If  Burnley want Brownhill they'll have to pay the price we want and whether there's another transaction for Wells isn't really material.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Does he ever roll his man, does he ever run the channels?  Rarely.  As a CB you rarely have to worry about Fam going in behind you, so you can mark as tight as possible.

Does he have the intelligence to know he’s taking Weimann’s space, or indeed intentionally make space for Weimann by dragging his man away (like Weimann did to 2 CBs for Eliasson’s goal).  Nope.

He’s very one dimensional in the role plays.  Yes, he has been good of late, but let’s not think he’s got an all-round game.

But what strikers in this league have the all around game? You can count them on one hand. So definitely think he is all around for the league. Why would you ask him to run channels if he isn’t quick? Fulham do not ask Mitrovic to run channels WBA do not ask Austin to run channels. They have similar games to Fam just have much higher IQs and movement. Then you talk about Weimann like he makes the most intelligent runs. He never reads a flick on. Often tries to run so close to fam you can’t play a .pass.
Always slate fam for not linking with others but isn’t like anyone else is adapting their game. Think why Matty Taylor had some success with Fam is because he was smarter and more patient with his movement with Fam. He anticipated things much better than anyone else. Even think Afobe showed signs of linking with him in very limited minutes(remember Birmingham away Afobe got around Fam not in his way). 

I still think people are over thinking it when it comes to Fam because of his past(and the fact he misses sitters which is fair). His all around game this season has been outstanding. The ball is sticking up top because of fam. Play is breaking down around him not because of him. I don’t think Taylor is better. We see him against us who play a higher line and he could turn and get in behind. Not sure he gets those chances here. Think Wells and Fam would link real well as Wells is more adept to finding space than making runs. 

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

So ends the case for Weimann being the first name on the team sheet.

Lots of running but little else

I think he does more than run but yeah I'd probably drop him with our current bunch of players.

But maybe gets back in if he is a good partner for a new striker.

But LJ will always play him anyway.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he does more than run but yeah I'd probably drop him with our current bunch of players.

But maybe gets back in if he is a good partner for a new striker.

But LJ will always play him anyway.

Still the option of right wing

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Still the option of right wing

Currently with Pato and Eliasson playing so well, I'd probably play them wide but drifting inside allowing full backs to overlap.

I think both are much better on the ball than Weimann.

3 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

If that's right  I doubt they would take that option bearing in mind he has been on loan at QPR for the last 18 months.

They wouldnt take it up for a footballing reason for sure, but the fact they got that option makes any talk of him rejecting a move this window and running down his contract premature. 

Burnley will be able to use the option to maximize the value of the player, without actually having to activate the option.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Currently with Pato and Eliasson playing so well, I'd probably play them wide but drifting inside allowing full backs to overlap.

I think both are much better on the ball than Weimann.

Yep, an in-form Pato should be utilised. An out of sorts Pato (familiar friend) would be replaced by Weimann in an LJ heartbeat.

Archived