Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Banjo Red

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

The more I think about this one, the less I enthuse about it.

1. (Most importantly) I don't see what Well's motivation will be (to join us). He's happy at QPR, he's not stepping up, he has no connection with the area, etc. His only motivation will therefore be money, which leads me on to 2.

2. He will be expensive. He will be on a wedge at Burnley, so will not be cheap. He will also command a sizeable (but not extortionate) fee, which is unlikely to be recouped in full, due to age.

3. Is his style (poacher) what we need? Could play with Fam, but instead of? I have my doubts.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

1. (Most importantly) I don't see what Well's motivation will be (to join us). He's happy at QPR, he's not stepping up, he has no connection with the area, etc. His only motivation will therefore be money, which leads me on to 2.

2. He will be expensive. He will be on a wedge at Burnley, so will not be cheap. He will also command a sizeable (but not extortionate) fee, which is unlikely to be recouped in full, due to age.

3. Is his style (poacher) what we need? Could play with Fam, but instead of? I have my doubts.

Agree with 1 and 2, but to 3 I'd say he definitely is what we need

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

1 and 2 are good points and certainly risks. If we're going to spend big though...

on 3 though, I think that's what we need, with Fam. Fam is a great 10/15 goal a season striker, but we need a man man. A Bob Taylor to the Fam that is Robbie Turner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

1 and 2 are good points and certainly risks. If we're going to spend big though...

on 3 though, I think that's what we need, with Fam. Fam is a great 10/15 goal a season striker, but we need a man man. A Bob Taylor to the Fam that is Robbie Turner.

Totally agree - given our expected goals, Fam's return is very respectable. If we can find his 'Bob Taylor', then both he and the team will elevate.

If Nahki plays with Fam, I'd be okay with it. My concern is that I fear we're looking to replace Fam with Nahki and I don't think that will work (there are better replacement options, IMHO).

36 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Is his style (poacher) what we need?

He's certainly a "Johnnie on the spot"(something we miss at times!) but I always thought he scores all types of goals...decent free kick,,good pen taker,,fair share of strikes around the edge of the box....don't see him as 'just' a poacher..

Edited by Robert the bruce
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Totally agree - given our expected goals, Fam's return is very respectable. If we can find his 'Bob Taylor', then both he and the team will elevate.

If Nahki plays with Fam, I'd be okay with it. My concern is that I fear we're looking to replace Fam with Nahki and I don't think that will work (there are better replacement options, IMHO).

I’m pretty sure we will need to replace Fam this summer .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Perhaps, but I think us fans sometimes overlook the fact that these guys are professionals. I would like to think that ‘motivation’ wouldn’t be a problem. Also, he is a goal scorer and (I would imagine) 20,000 cheering you and singing your name, fells retry good wherever it is done. 

6 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

He's certainly a "Johnnie on the spot"(something we miss at times!) but I always thought he scores all types of goals...decent free kick,,good pen taker,,fair share of strikes around the edge of the box....don't see him as 'just' a poacher..

Fair analysis. He's an excellent 2nd striker, who could play off Fam, but can he lead the line? Will the ball stick with him if he's upfront on his own?

Fam's issues in this respect are, in my view, often due to a lack of support. He can't simply win a header, flicking the ball on, as there's no one to run onto it (Weimann will be running, of course, but lord knows where). Hence he has to bring it down and hold it up - a tough ask for the very best of players. A strike partner running off him would give him more options (he seems to work well with his international strike partner, perhaps we should enquire about him).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Perhaps, but I think us fans sometimes overlook the fact that these guys are professionals. I would like to think that ‘motivation’ wouldn’t be a problem. Also, he is a goal scorer and (I would imagine) 20,000 cheering you and singing your name, fells retry good wherever it is done. 

Professionals 'Yes', but they are also people and have families that are people too. No matter how professional you are, motivation is a complex equation - a lot of factors need to align to get the best out of people. Kasey being a classic example.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Fair analysis. He's an excellent 2nd striker, who could play off Fam, but can he lead the line? Will the ball stick with him if he's upfront on his own?

Fam's issues in this respect are, in my view, often due to a lack of support. He can't simply win a header, flicking the ball on, as there's no one to run onto it (Weimann will be running, of course, but lord knows where). Hence he has to bring it down and hold it up - a tough ask for the very best of players. A strike partner running off him would give him more options (he seems to work well with his international strike partner, perhaps we should enquire about him).

Depends on team style.  If you wanna lump 50 yard balls from our back 4 to him, might as well not bother.  If you’re gonna pkay a bit more on the deck, and get shorter passes into him chest down then why not.

Last season him worked really well off Matt Smith at AG, knew where the nod downs were going, knew when he needed to run the sides.

Aguero would struggle to play up top on his own with our current style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Professionals 'Yes', but they are also people and have families that are people too. No matter how professional you are, motivation is a complex equation - a lot of factors need to align to get the best out of people. Kasey being a classic example.

True, but Italian Dave was calling his (possible) motivation into question.  We all agree there are plenty worse places to raise a family than Bristol so I do not think any of us can use his motivation, one way or another, as an option.  Players always say they are happy where they are, right up until the moment they leave (apart from that Rovers player who gave the fans the 'V' sign as he left the pitch once 😀)

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

True, but Italian Dave was calling his (possible) motivation into question.  We all agree there are plenty worse places to raise a family than Bristol so I do not think any of us can use his motivation, one way or another, as an option.  Players always say they are happy where they are, right up until the moment they leave (apart from that Rovers player who gave the fans the 'V' sign as he left the pitch once 😀)

As did Ian Baird.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Sounds like you’re conflating your needs with the clubs here

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

That's as good a summary of our strike force this season as I've seen! The number of times Fam wins the ball in the air and then has to chase his own flick on.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Wells on bench for QPR tonight...

Could be telling if he's subbed on in the 89th min.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Nixon been saying all day that he's already been recalled and burnley gave him and QPR the option to include him in tonight's squad if they wanted to.

Personally I think he's off to forest. 

If he goes anywhere Id imagine itd be Forest.

6 minutes ago, Michigan Gate said:

Don't think Burnley would let him play tonight if they are planning on selling him soon!

Very true.

55 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Nixon been saying all day that he's already been recalled and burnley gave him and QPR the option to include him in tonight's squad if they wanted to.

Personally I think he's off to forest. 

Why would be to there. They play 1 up top.

13 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Sorry to walk all over your romantic view of football but 99% of players are not at clubs because of their love for that club, or their local connections, they are where they are simply because of money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Did he celebrate in any peculiar way when he scored?

He did a quadruple somersault, produced live doves from underneath his shirt, and then soared into the night sky on a jet pack. Nothing out of the ordinary 🙃

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, CityLew said:

Looks more tired than upset in that clip imo. 

I doubt he was tired he was only on the pitch for 20 mins :laugh:

he us upset as he is joinng us and will be sat on the bench like all lee Johnson signings  do.or end up going on loan some where after a few months. sorry for being negative but its true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hedgehog 1
  • Rovers 8
  • Snake 2

33 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

he us upset as he is joinng us and will be sat on the bench like all lee Johnson signings  do.or end up going on loan some where after a few months. sorry for being negative but its true. 

Except it’s not true is it!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Dyche said they’re not looking so sell him so you’re saying we’ll sign him on loan and then loan him out? Only on OTIB. 

• Aubergine 1

6 hours ago, westonred said:

I doubt he was tired he was only on the pitch for 20 mins :laugh:

Oh haha. It's just hard to tell if he's actually upset in that short clip shared.

21 hours ago, italian dave said:

A Bob Taylor to the Fam that is Robbie Turner

Oh stop it. Stop it right now. It’s too early for this. That’s got me all of a tizzy this early on a non-matchday Saturday morn. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Don’t let the fact that what you said isn’t true stop you from saying it’s true.

• Haha 2

The thing with this “Wells doesn’t want to leave QPR” stuff, is that he’s a professional footballer.

I doubt that he grew up dreaming of playing for Bristol City, or Huddersfield for that matter.

However, he’ll play and do his best where there are 3 things: Money, playing time and a chance of playing at a high level. We can offer that at the moment. So can Forest. QPR seem to be held back on the money bit.

There’s no doubt he’s happy at QPR and he probably doesn’t want to leave. But that doesn’t mean he won’t and it doesn’t mean he won’t do well here. He may well settle just as well and really enjoy it, similar to Afobe. We’ve got a decent bunch of players who will help him integrate and he’ll be a big name player for us straightaway.

I always remember Jon Stead at times like this. He turned us down once due to money. Ended up signing and becoming a fan’s favourite for a while. I think Wells will end up the same.

• Like 2