IGNORED

Loan out strategy

Southport Red

Lot of talk about ‘why buy players who are for the future and then loan them straight out?’  But in the last couple of seasons NE and TM have been out on loan. I recall reading about both on here that they ‘won’t make it here’, yet both are back and both are doing well. People saying NE is our best player and, IMHO TM is the closest thing we have to Webster. 

Would be wonderful to see a ‘born again’ Walsh & Szmodics in our midfield next year.

Also seems that, if you do loan them out, do it for the full term, I don’t think bringing Semenyo back ‘half-baked’ did anyone any favours. 

Eliasson hasn't been out on loan.  He's also out of contract at the end of next season.

A sceptic would say that Taylor Moore has only had any chance in the team this season due to a lot of injuries and us selling Webster quite late.

Our loan out strategy certainly has benefits.  We now have almost a dozen players out on loan playing league football at clubs that not too long ago we were competing with (Peterborough, Doncaster, Oldham, Rotherham etc).  While that doesn't guarantee anything, it does pretty much cement us in a much better position overall above those other clubs mentioned.

I'm still wary of how necessary that actually is though.  And I'm not really a fan of the likes of Liam Walsh being signed 2 years ago and still not being ready for our first team.  Not sure how sustainable that is and I think there's definitely room for improvement within our strategy.

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Entirely possible I’m having a Senior Moment, but I’m sure we sent him out a couple of years ago. 

"However, you didn't state who the actual player was! You merely referred to him as NE which one person thought it meant N.Eliasson. NE are the first two letters of the word New. City have had a few new players in the past two seasons. You were obviously referring to one of them and it was just bad keyboarding skills on your part for omitting the W. I can confirm, therefore, that you didn't have a senior moment!"

That's what a medical examiner would've surely said to prove you're this side of the senior moment line! 

After signing, 6 months in for assessment, if not first team squad ready then 6 months loan, then return. Inclusion thereafter  in Under 23s..

We wonder why our team, seems to be a collection of individuals rather than a cohesive unit. The fact we send out younger players out to all points of the compass, hundreds of miles away from their future playing colleagues may have a part to play in that.  

20 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

"However, you didn't state who the actual player was! You merely referred to him as NE which one person thought it meant N.Eliasson. NE are the first two letters of the word New. City have had a few new players in the past two seasons. You were obviously referring to one of them and it was just bad keyboarding skills on your part for omitting the W. I can confirm, therefore, that you didn't have a senior moment!"

That's what a medical examiner would've surely said to prove you're this side of the senior moment line! 

Yeah, yeah, definitely that Norn,  not really losing my marbles at all, 

I meant sending NE-one out on loan ?

Now you see why the first Beer my brewery Made was called ‘Senior Moment’. 

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Yeah, yeah, definitely that Norn,  not really losing my marbles at all, 

I meant sending NE-one out on loan ?

Now you see why the first Beer my brewery Made was called ‘Senior Moment’. 

My brewery? 

I need to know more and hopefully a sample!

3 hours ago, Roe said:

Our loan out strategy certainly has benefits.  We now have almost a dozen players out on loan

Far too many imo - it's so many we have to employ someone just to keep tabs on them all. Over the last 2 or 3 years we've loaned out nearly 20!

The number should be half that at the most imo. Of course it's a balance but far too much emphasis on "ones for the future", most of whom we all know - because the stats tell us - will never make it.

Majority of the playing budget should be spent on players for the here and now to move us forward, backed up by a handful - no more - of  young ones out on loan who we've signed from other clubs or who've come through the academy.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Loaning players out is key to their development.

And we usually get around half their wages paid for.

Can't think of a bad thing about it as long as they play.

Is that a fact....just that I’ve never seen anything re wages coverage from City?

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Far too many imo - it's so many we have to employ someone just to keep tabs on them all. Over the last 2 or 3 years we've loaned out nearly 20!

The number should be half that at the most imo. Of course it's a balance but far too much emphasis on "ones for the future", most of whom we all know - because the stats tell us - will never make it.

Majority of the playing budget should be spent on players for the here and now to move us forward, backed up by a handful - no more - of  young ones out on loan who we've signed from other clubs or who've come through the academy.

Agreed. And actually being young players would be ideal too. The likes of Walsh, Morrell, Vyner, Wollacott are all 22

Archived