IGNORED

JET (Woo-ooh-ooh-ooh)

Silvio Dante

He was one of my favourite players to watch at City of all time. Has tremendous talent - Premier League talent in my opinion. 

Trouble with players like him is that you almost have to build the entire team around him to get the best out of him. When he was on form under SO'D he looked absolutely fantastic. 

Whether it's lack of application or his body just struggles with an endurance sport I'm not sure, but I feel he's really wasted his huge talent.

Good luck to him at Cheltenham, under the right manager and if he's completely fit he will tear it up for them.

49 minutes ago, Ecko said:

My favourite player from last decade and coincidentally scored my favourite goal from last decade - against the Gas! 

Agree with you mate. Most skilful player I've seen at AG in years. It would be hard not to include Trundle, Tomlin and JET in a list of players that made you nod your head in appreciation. JET would be the top of those three for me. Coincidentally all three had a bit of an issue applying themselves. That goal against gas was awesome. Right up there with Aaron Brown's break from our own box that was crossed in for Thorpe to nod in. 

I agree with those above, JET was a fantastic player who should have had a career in the higher divisions.  It didn't happen to him (mostly his own fault) which was a crying shame.

It just shows that you need far more than just talent to make it as a Premier/Championship footballer.  Attitude and work rate is just as important as raw skill.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Some would take someone who runs a lot over someone with talent.

Irrespective of results - you enjoy watching the likes of Scott Wagstaff and Cole Skuse more than JET/Tomlin/Trundle/Noble? 

I understand why those enigma type of players are flawed and often underachieve, but my best memories watching City have included David Noble's screamer vs Palace, Trundle vs Palace, JET vs Rovers etc etc

I don't really have any outstanding memories of an unspectacular but solid midfield player covering lots of ground, not why I enjoy football.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Most overrated player of recent times. So much ability but it’s worthless if the effort isn’t there. 

Overrated?

He was a brilliant player for us, someone who had you on the edge of your seat. 

Maybe he wasn’t always brilliant, but he certainly wasn’t overrated 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Irrespective of results - you enjoy watching the likes of Scott Wagstaff and Cole Skuse more than JET/Tomlin/Trundle/Noble? 

I understand why those enigma type of players are flawed and often underachieve, but my best memories watching City have included David Noble's screamer vs Palace, Trundle vs Palace, JET vs Rovers etc etc

I don't really have any outstanding memories of an unspectacular but solid midfield player covering lots of ground, not why I enjoy football.

No I would always take a JET over a Weimann.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Most overrated player of recent times. So much ability but it’s worthless if the effort isn’t there. 

I agree with the principle but think the general consensus on him seems to be that he had a huge amount of ability but either lacked the application or the natural fitness for the modern game. 

I don't think he's overrated on here - more a case of 'what could have been' with all his ability. 

2 hours ago, Ecko said:

My favourite player from last decade and coincidentally scored my favourite goal from last decade - against the Gas! 

Lazy? At times. Frustrating? Sometimes.

The last player I can remember who  just made me smile and a talent that made you stand up just incase  magic happened? Definitely.

My kids idolised him and he helped them love city and football. Not like the stat collectors we have become.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, there comes  a point where the thing itself has to be enjoyable and make you smile,

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Back in “this parish” on trial at Cheltenham

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-arsenal-bristol-city-striker-3759863

Not put in transfer forum as more of an ex player thing (sorry Robbo) as opposed to a target

Sorry but not enough Oooh's in the thread title

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Lazy? At times. Frustrating? Sometimes.

The last player I can remember you just made me smile and a talent that made stand up just invade magic happen? Definitely.

My kids idolised him and helped them love city and football. Not like the stat collectors we have become.

Exactly. He was frustrating as **** some days but when he turned it on you felt like you were entertained. At present the club lack players that can turn on those flashes of excitement. There's just no spontaneity and as a result it's predictably dull. 

In the future will just feed the stats into a piece of AI. The AI will pick the team every week based on our and the opposition stats. The AI will probably do the after game interview. I'm not sure we're too far from that.  

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree with the principle but think the general consensus on him seems to be that he had a huge amount of ability but either lacked the application or the natural fitness for the modern game. 

I don't think he's overrated on here - more a case of 'what could have been' with all his ability. 

@Fordy62 certainly overrates him! 

I think a lot are blinkered to the skill and the 1 in 4 games that he was great. His career since us says a lot. 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think a lot are blinkered to the skill and the 1 in 4 games that he was great. His career since us says a lot. 

I think the issues with him are the need to build the team around him, perhaps his application (he loves the extra curricular lifestyle of being a footballer) and perhaps his body not being suited to the modern endurance heavy game.

Think on talent alone he's one of the most gifted players I can remember - doesn't mean much without the rest.

Really enjoyed watching him when on form though. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He was one of my favourite players to watch at City of all time. Has tremendous talent - Premier League talent in my opinion. 

Trouble with players like him is that you almost have to build the entire team around him to get the best out of him. When he was on form under SO'D he looked absolutely fantastic. 

Whether it's lack of application or his body just struggles with an endurance sport I'm not sure, but I feel he's really wasted his huge talent.

Good luck to him at Cheltenham, under the right manager and if he's completely fit he will tear it up for them.

Makes I cry seeing all that. The idea that it was difficult to accommodate a talent like that in our team and that we didn't bust ourselves to keep him goes against every reason why we love football. SOD, bless him, got it right with JET.

8 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Makes I cry seeing all that. The idea that it was difficult to accommodate a talent like that in our team and that we didn't bust ourselves to keep him goes against every reason why we love football. SOD, bless him, got it right with JET.

SO'D is the only manager that Jet has performed for relatively consistently - I remember him absolutely dominating us for Doncaster when on loan from Arsenal. Got a standing ovation at AG which is pretty unusual.

52 minutes ago, RedDave said:

1 in 4 is still higher than a majority of our players at the moment, he was a joy to watch, 16 goals in one season for us, a perfect hat-trick at Carlisle, a goal never to forget against the gas and moments of sheer magic, you carry on having wet dreams about the likes of Skuse and Pack, give me the likes of Jet, Tomlin and Trundle any time 

Remember being at Shrewsbury and he received the ball from a throw in. He just started walking with the ball, remember myself and others standing there saying just run once in a while. 
He just did a shimmy and from 20 yds fires it into the net, never again have I accused a player of not running/trying.

Pure magic from him.

It's absolutely possible to appreciate the skill of and entertainment provided by a player like JET while lamenting some of his shortcomings. 

JET has not achieved what he was capable of in his career because (it seems) he didn't want to put in the effort. 

Skuse, Pack and the like have achieved what they have in their respective careers exactly because they put in the effort. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Uhhhhh... that’s a difficult accusation to respond to. 

My argument would be that I don’t overtake him, I rate him according to the skill and ability that he has: the most gifted player I’ve ever seen at AG!

On a serious note, he was the shining light in some dark times and I wonder if that skews to opinion somewhat!

But my was he talented. 

Archived