Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Silvio Dante

JET (Woo-ooh-ooh-ooh)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Super said:

Some would take someone who runs a lot over someone with talent.

You’ve gotta let it go - you don’t like Weimann, that’s clear, but any chance to have a little dig and you’re there! And for what it’s worth (probably not much) I think Weimann has lots of talent too ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always make 2 points about Jay:

1) never disrupted the team in 14/15, despite being on the bench most of it.  When we needed him, he came in and did a job

2) as he got older I think his body was such that it got harder for him to keep up the demands of a pro footballer.  He was a big old unit, broad shoulders, almost an upside down triangle.  No fat on him, just a big old body to sprint around a football pitch.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

 

What a player - watching that I realise how deadly he was cutting in from either wing, also has this strange ability to score placed shots from reasonable range.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What a player - watching that I realise how deadly he was cutting in from either wing, also has this strange ability to score placed shots from reasonable range.

He was very good at that level, he'd probably still get you 10+ a season now.  Be very surprised if Cheltenham don't sign him up unless he prices himself out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedDave said:

You called him a brilliant player for us. That’s overrating him so thanks for proving my point!

Just to add a some facts or statistical evidence to refute this awful shout. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/b5f1c3c8/Jay-Emmanuel-Thomas

 

He had a goal or assist ration of 0.96 per 90 minutes played in our league winning side and in the season he kept us up with Baldock he had two goals or assists for every three games played.

 

JET was a prolific goalscorer or goal creator in his time here. He did something literally every game. 

 

As someone else alluded to earlier, I don't remember the last time Weimman did anything. Yet he's lauded by most. 

 

JET was a star here. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was his strikes that amazed me. The cleanest striker of a football I’ve seen at City. 
 

Ridiculously talented and loved watching him. I wish him well wherever he goes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Its a body shape that does not suit football. The worst. Endomorphs can be suited to sprinting (its anaerobic activity) but frequently not suit endurance activities and post explosive movements have poor recovery times.

An alternative view can be is that he did well and reached his ceiling.

There is no football gene that leads to being naturally gifted. Its not a gift. Skill is created by practice and practice only. This player would have practiced more to gain his level of skill. He did not come out of the womb a skilful footballer.

Your average human cant do fifty kick ups because they do not try to. 

 

 

I don't know about genes but I do know that there are naturally gifted footballers that have no need to "practice" to gain the skill they have. They just have it.

JET was one of them.

A naturally gifted footballer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved JET first saw him rip is apart playing for Doncaster. Big part of our champion winning side . Remember the Swindon game away and the tunnel rocking. Pretty sure JET was involved  :boxing:. Also the goal against the fewers I was in the Eastend . Limbs . And the penalty in the last minute away to Notts County . 
 

Yes he had his faults. That’s why he ended up at Bristol City. But I loved watching him . JET will tear u apart again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't know about genes but I do know that there are naturally gifted footballers that have no need to "practice" to gain the skill they have. They just have it.

JET was one of them.

A naturally gifted footballer.

Oh don't set him off !

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't know about genes but I do know that there are naturally gifted footballers that have no need to "practice" to gain the skill they have. They just have it.

JET was one of them.

A naturally gifted footballer.

Without practice to create neural pathways and muscle memory you cannot perform a skill. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Super said:

No I would always take a JET over a Weimann.

Good god no,

jet was like playing with 10 men half the time, there is a reason why he was behind wilbs and agard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Without practice to create neural pathways and muscle memory you cannot perform a skill. 

 

 

 

I obviously haven't read the book.

And neither would I want to.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I obviously haven't read the book.

And neither would I want to.

 

 

God forbid you learn something, eh. Bloody experts again, I thought we banned them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Good god no,

jet was like playing with 10 men half the time, there is a reason why he was behind wilbs and agard

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-mat said:

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Not for me, great player but in the championship you can’t afford to carry him,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Weimann,

Learn something new everyday.

  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not for me, great player but in the championship you can’t afford to carry him,

 

Depends on the set up, really. In a 3-5-2 you could quite easily facilitate his game whilst retaining a shape that remains solid without the need for 11 "runners"

 

And is it carrying someone if they do the thing you're meant to do in football, score a goal? 

 

All hypothetical of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Just to add a some facts or statistical evidence to refute this awful shout. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/b5f1c3c8/Jay-Emmanuel-Thomas

 

He had a goal or assist ration of 0.96 per 90 minutes played in our league winning side and in the season he kept us up with Baldock he had two goals or assists for every three games played.

 

JET was a prolific goalscorer or goal creator in his time here. He did something literally every game. 

 

As someone else alluded to earlier, I don't remember the last time Weimman did anything. Yet he's lauded by most. 

 

JET was a star here. 

“Literally every game” pmsl 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, J-mat said:

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Weimann would be quality in league one. JET flattered to deceive. Nobody really cared when he left as he was poor.

  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not Weimanns biggest fan (at all) and i loved watching JET. If you want to return to watching us play footballing giants like Fleetwood and Doncaster etc then i would have JET over Weimann. 

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Weimann would be quality in league one. JET flattered to deceive. Nobody really cared when he left as he was poor.

That’s your view, not a consensus Dave.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

“Literally every game” pmsl 

0.96 goals or assists per 90 minutes in our promotion season.

2 in 3 in the season before. 

 

The stats don't lie. 

The aim of the game is to score. 

Jet scored or made others score. 

 

You're a pretty level headed poster, got a decent grasp on the game. Can't figure out what you're not seeing here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s your view, not a consensus Dave.

I think at the time his departure was overshadowed by the general success of the team. Had we placed 8th or something and missed out on the playoffs it would have more significance. 

He clearly didn't naturally fit Cotterill's 5-3-2 in how SC wanted it to function - although had a great spell with Matt Smith for a few games. I was disappointed to see him go but could understand why.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a few have implied on this thread, JETs genetics and build weren't condusive to a certain level of performance that was needed at Championship level.

His natural skill and ability with a football at his feet was outstanding though.

Regardless of practice and muscle memory, some people have it, over others that practice twice as much. However much they practice they will never have that genetic touch, feel, vision, awareness etc that some have.

Interesting article here that's studied the best genetics for a footballer. Still doesn't take into account the brain and natural awareness and feel.

https://fitnessgenes.com/blog/genetics-of-elite-footballers/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J-mat said:

0.96 goals or assists per 90 minutes in our promotion season.

2 in 3 in the season before. 

 

The stats don't lie. 

The aim of the game is to score. 

Jet scored or made others score. 

 

You're a pretty level headed poster, got a decent grasp on the game. Can't figure out what you're not seeing here. 

I wouldn't bother with this Dave guy, he obviously craves attention 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

I wouldn't bother with this Dave guy, he obviously craves attention 

Nah, good poster. Knowledgeable and fairly balanced. 

A bit stubborn with his opinions but then I'm a thousand times worse than him so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Remember being at Shrewsbury and he received the ball from a throw in. He just started walking with the ball, remember myself and others standing there saying just run once in a while. 
He just did a shimmy and from 20 yds fires it into the net, never again have I accused a player of not running/trying.

Pure magic from him.

Classic goal.

After getting the ball, he stood on it for a few seconds before deciding what to do, then went around a defender like he was a training cone and whoosh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring back JET!

In all seriousness he is the most naturally talented footballer i have seen at City in my 35+ years supporting them, only Trunds comes close.

Being a maverick type of footballer he has his off days which is frustrating, but for me i go to football matches to be entertained and he was certainly a entertainer.

On many occasions he would amaze me by going past/thru two players that were in front off him, for someone so big it seemed impossible to make a fool of defenders.

I was in the East End when he scored vs the gas, one of those moments that will live with me for ever.

I hope to see him playing professionally again in England and i hope he does well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

Took a mean........if somewhat slow penalty.

When you could pop down the stairs, take a leak, buy a pie & still be back in your seat as he side footed the ball into the net. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashton Boys met JET after a game. Great bloke and did a bit of free styling for the lads. Asked about his skill and he said to the kids I practiced every day every morning every night as well as training with my boys club. John Barnes said very similar when guest for Ashton Boys as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a few have implied on this thread, JETs genetics and build weren't condusive to a certain level of performance that was needed at Championship level.

His natural skill and ability with a football at his feet was outstanding though.

Regardless of practice and muscle memory, some people have it, over others that practice twice as much. However much they practice they will never have that genetic touch, feel, vision, awareness etc that some have.

Interesting article here that's studied the best genetics for a footballer. Still doesn't take into account the brain and natural awareness and feel.

https://fitnessgenes.com/blog/genetics-of-elite-footballers/

Aint that the truth.

Its also bloody obvious.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not over the fact he was effectively replaced by that muggy blunt pencil Freeman. Prem the latter may be but JET will always be twice the player in my eyes

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Ashton Boys met JET after a game. Great bloke and did a bit of free styling for the lads. Asked about his skill and he said to the kids I practiced every day every morning every night as well as training with my boys club. John Barnes said very similar when guest for Ashton Boys as well.  

You could have 11 players all practice the same skills the same amount of time. All of them will have a different level they can achieve. Down to genetics, build, brain etc.

You will often find certain naturally unathletic people have naturally better touch, skill, timing and awareness than naturally athletic people.

Gascoigne, LeTissier, Waddle, Hoddle, Tomlin, Trundle, Noble, JET to name a few come into those catagories.

Imagine if they had that level of skill with a naturally athletic body, that with training and time, the level they would achieve.

Edited by spudski
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met JET a couple of times. He’s a top guy also.  Was friendly with a few well known City fans. 
JET, Jacki and Trundle were players that just ooze the passion for football from the Bristol public. That goal against Rovers, was one of my top 5 at City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-mat said:

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Would that happen to be the same Weimann (spelt correctly) who is currently our top scorer in the league this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JET had the physique of a rugby forward, the feet of a dancer, and a shot like a cannon.

Having met him one time, when he visited my work one Christmas with a few other players, including Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan, made you realise what a nice bloke he was and also what a physical presence he had. As someone of a similar size and frame, I can assure that short bursts of speed are far easier than running 12km every match. The reality is he had so much skill that against League 1 players he could literally walk through the opposition, then unleash an unstoppable shot.

As a spectator, he gave me and many others far more entertainment than any other player that I can remember in over 40 years of supporting City. Even when we were rubbish under SO’D, he was genuinely exciting to watch. Plus as others have mentioned, he was still happy to play a more secondary role in our promotion season, and meant that when we had injuries and was played with Matt Smith on loan, our form didn’t dip one bit.

God knows we could do with someone similar now, but even if we did, I am not sure that LJ would play him. The lack of playing time for Kasey Palmer suggests LJ values work rate far more than inspiration. 🤔

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a few have implied on this thread, JETs genetics and build weren't condusive to a certain level of performance that was needed at Championship level.

His natural skill and ability with a football at his feet was outstanding though.

Regardless of practice and muscle memory, some people have it, over others that practice twice as much. However much they practice they will never have that genetic touch, feel, vision, awareness etc that some have.

Interesting article here that's studied the best genetics for a footballer. Still doesn't take into account the brain and natural awareness and feel.

https://fitnessgenes.com/blog/genetics-of-elite-footballers/

The genes mentioned in the article are present in the majority of the populace including the famous speed gene. Some races and regions of the world  have higher ratios but it is hardly conducive evidence. 

In regards to natural ability the worlds largest Countries are not producing as many naturally skilled players as one nation (Brazil). Brazils success is not down to Brazilians possessing more natural skill its down to how they approach the game. The Brazilians success is down to the way they practice and a football culture that encourages high skill levels. If other nations replicated the Brazilians they too would see more naturally skilled players. 

 

 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spudski said:

You could have 11 players all practice the same skills the same amount of time. All of them will have a different level they can achieve. Down to genetics, build, brain etc.

You will often find certain naturally unathletic people have naturally better touch, skill, timing and awareness than naturally athletic people.

Gascoigne, LeTissier, Waddle, Hoddle, Tomlin, Trundle, Noble, JET to name a few come into those catagories.

Imagine if they had that level of skill with a naturally athletic body, that with training and time, the level they would achieve.

IF they had coaches that recognise innate natural talent and how to nurture and get the best out of it.

Doesn't happen in this country imo - its why we don't produce world class players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Would that happen to be the same Weimann (spelt correctly) who is currently our top scorer in the league this season?

Weimann a good champ player v Jet a good league one player 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

IF they had coaches that recognise innate natural talent and how to nurture and get the best out of it.

Doesn't happen in this country imo - its why we don't produce world class players. 

I think there are several other reasons for that. English clubs stocking up on Foreign players is just one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

 

Weimann a good champ player v Jet a good league one player 

Jet scored 9 goals in 43 League One games back in 2014-15

Weimann has already scored 9 Championship goals this season in 28 games.....with 18 games of the season remaining.

One clear winner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spudski the point John Barnes made was saying he had to train xx everybody else because he wasn't athletic. it was all down to hard work and practice. You want to be a pro forget about girls going out practice practice practice we all have talent was his words.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Jet scored 9 goals in 43 League One games back in 2014-15

Weimann has already scored 9 Championship goals this season in 28 games.....with 18 games of the season remaining.

One clear winner.

Started 20 (28 subs), 12 goals, 8 assists that season. 1941 minutes, equivalent of circa 22 games.

The comparison with Weimann (who I am a huge fan of) is not a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Jet scored 9 goals in 43 League One games back in 2014-15

Weimann has already scored 9 Championship goals this season in 28 games.....with 18 games of the season remaining.

One clear winner.

Some sense at last (apart from my own of course!)

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Started 20 (28 subs), 12 goals, 8 assists that season. 1941 minutes, equivalent of circa 22 games.

The comparison with Weimann (who I am a huge fan of) is not a good one.

JET couldn’t even get in team half the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Some sense at last (apart from my own of course!)

JET couldn’t even get in team half the time?

I’m saying the comparison is poor, not judging any player one way or t’other 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...