IGNORED

JET (Woo-ooh-ooh-ooh)

Silvio Dante

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Its a body shape that does not suit football. The worst. Endomorphs can be suited to sprinting (its anaerobic activity) but frequently not suit endurance activities and post explosive movements have poor recovery times.

An alternative view can be is that he did well and reached his ceiling.

There is no football gene that leads to being naturally gifted. Its not a gift. Skill is created by practice and practice only. This player would have practiced more to gain his level of skill. He did not come out of the womb a skilful footballer.

Your average human cant do fifty kick ups because they do not try to. 

I don't know about genes but I do know that there are naturally gifted footballers that have no need to "practice" to gain the skill they have. They just have it.

JET was one of them.

A naturally gifted footballer.

Loved JET first saw him rip is apart playing for Doncaster. Big part of our champion winning side . Remember the Swindon game away and the tunnel rocking. Pretty sure JET was involved  :boxing:. Also the goal against the fewers I was in the Eastend . Limbs . And the penalty in the last minute away to Notts County . 

Yes he had his faults. That’s why he ended up at Bristol City. But I loved watching him . JET will tear u apart again 

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't know about genes but I do know that there are naturally gifted footballers that have no need to "practice" to gain the skill they have. They just have it.

JET was one of them.

A naturally gifted footballer.

Without practice to create neural pathways and muscle memory you cannot perform a skill. 

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Good god no,

jet was like playing with 10 men half the time, there is a reason why he was behind wilbs and agard

And yet his stats were phenomenal. 

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

1 minute ago, J-mat said:

I'd rather a player like Jay do one thing a game than a player like Weimman try and fail over and over again but look busy whilst he's at it. 

Not for me, great player but in the championship you can’t afford to carry him,

2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Weimann,

Learn something new everyday.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not for me, great player but in the championship you can’t afford to carry him,

Depends on the set up, really. In a 3-5-2 you could quite easily facilitate his game whilst retaining a shape that remains solid without the need for 11 "runners"

And is it carrying someone if they do the thing you're meant to do in football, score a goal? 

All hypothetical of course. 

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Just to add a some facts or statistical evidence to refute this awful shout. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/b5f1c3c8/Jay-Emmanuel-Thomas

He had a goal or assist ration of 0.96 per 90 minutes played in our league winning side and in the season he kept us up with Baldock he had two goals or assists for every three games played.

JET was a prolific goalscorer or goal creator in his time here. He did something literally every game. 

As someone else alluded to earlier, I don't remember the last time Weimman did anything. Yet he's lauded by most. 

JET was a star here. 

“Literally every game” pmsl 

26 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Weimann would be quality in league one. JET flattered to deceive. Nobody really cared when he left as he was poor.

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

“Literally every game” pmsl 

0.96 goals or assists per 90 minutes in our promotion season.

2 in 3 in the season before. 

The stats don't lie. 

The aim of the game is to score. 

Jet scored or made others score. 

You're a pretty level headed poster, got a decent grasp on the game. Can't figure out what you're not seeing here. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s your view, not a consensus Dave.

I think at the time his departure was overshadowed by the general success of the team. Had we placed 8th or something and missed out on the playoffs it would have more significance. 

He clearly didn't naturally fit Cotterill's 5-3-2 in how SC wanted it to function - although had a great spell with Matt Smith for a few games. I was disappointed to see him go but could understand why.

As a few have implied on this thread, JETs genetics and build weren't condusive to a certain level of performance that was needed at Championship level.

His natural skill and ability with a football at his feet was outstanding though.

Regardless of practice and muscle memory, some people have it, over others that practice twice as much. However much they practice they will never have that genetic touch, feel, vision, awareness etc that some have.

Interesting article here that's studied the best genetics for a footballer. Still doesn't take into account the brain and natural awareness and feel.

https://fitnessgenes.com/blog/genetics-of-elite-footballers/

9 minutes ago, J-mat said:

0.96 goals or assists per 90 minutes in our promotion season.

2 in 3 in the season before. 

The stats don't lie. 

The aim of the game is to score. 

Jet scored or made others score. 

You're a pretty level headed poster, got a decent grasp on the game. Can't figure out what you're not seeing here. 

I wouldn't bother with this Dave guy, he obviously craves attention 

6 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Remember being at Shrewsbury and he received the ball from a throw in. He just started walking with the ball, remember myself and others standing there saying just run once in a while. 
He just did a shimmy and from 20 yds fires it into the net, never again have I accused a player of not running/trying.

Pure magic from him.

Classic goal.

After getting the ball, he stood on it for a few seconds before deciding what to do, then went around a defender like he was a training cone and whoosh.

Bring back JET!

In all seriousness he is the most naturally talented footballer i have seen at City in my 35+ years supporting them, only Trunds comes close.

Being a maverick type of footballer he has his off days which is frustrating, but for me i go to football matches to be entertained and he was certainly a entertainer.

On many occasions he would amaze me by going past/thru two players that were in front off him, for someone so big it seemed impossible to make a fool of defenders.

I was in the East End when he scored vs the gas, one of those moments that will live with me for ever.

I hope to see him playing professionally again in England and i hope he does well.

Ashton Boys met JET after a game. Great bloke and did a bit of free styling for the lads. Asked about his skill and he said to the kids I practiced every day every morning every night as well as training with my boys club. John Barnes said very similar when guest for Ashton Boys as well.  

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a few have implied on this thread, JETs genetics and build weren't condusive to a certain level of performance that was needed at Championship level.

His natural skill and ability with a football at his feet was outstanding though.

Regardless of practice and muscle memory, some people have it, over others that practice twice as much. However much they practice they will never have that genetic touch, feel, vision, awareness etc that some have.

Interesting article here that's studied the best genetics for a footballer. Still doesn't take into account the brain and natural awareness and feel.

https://fitnessgenes.com/blog/genetics-of-elite-footballers/

Aint that the truth.

Its also bloody obvious.

12 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Ashton Boys met JET after a game. Great bloke and did a bit of free styling for the lads. Asked about his skill and he said to the kids I practiced every day every morning every night as well as training with my boys club. John Barnes said very similar when guest for Ashton Boys as well.  

You could have 11 players all practice the same skills the same amount of time. All of them will have a different level they can achieve. Down to genetics, build, brain etc.

You will often find certain naturally unathletic people have naturally better touch, skill, timing and awareness than naturally athletic people.

Gascoigne, LeTissier, Waddle, Hoddle, Tomlin, Trundle, Noble, JET to name a few come into those catagories.

Imagine if they had that level of skill with a naturally athletic body, that with training and time, the level they would achieve.

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Would that happen to be the same Weimann (spelt correctly) who is currently our top scorer in the league this season?

Archived