IGNORED

Could KP be tried up front?

Denbury Red

Just a thought - we’ve seen he can shoot, we’ve seen he can head the ball and get in where it hurts - he doesn’t seem to be getting his tactics / effort right when playing in the middle - so how about trying him up front.

I agree with other threads that it’s too early to be thinking of moving him on - but has he found his best position?

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Seriously worth a try. Kasey is a natural talent.  Is there any good footballer who wouldn't give it a decent go?

Bobby managed it.

Bobby's work rate and movement was fantastic though.

Palmer has very little movement, and poor work rate.

I also don't think he has the mentality to do that role.

Wondered if he could but stuggling to see him doing it now.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bobby's work rate and movement was fantastic though.

Palmer has very little movement, and poor work rate.

I also don't think he has the mentality to do that role.

Wondered if he could but stuggling to see him doing it now.

Kasey’s workrate is fine.  Urban myth imho that he doesn’t work hard.

If you said he doesn’t work intelligently/efficiently I might agree.  Neither does Fam.  Neither does Josh, or Nic for that matter.

I do agree (with our current style) with you that it doesn’t look an ideal role for him.  If we were playing fluid, shorter stuff, through the lines, then maybe.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you said he doesn’t work intelligently/efficiently I might agree.  Neither does Fam.  Neither does Josh, or Nic for that matter.

I do agree (with our current style) with you that it doesn’t look an ideal role for him.  If we were playing fluid, shorter stuff, through the lines, then maybe.

I'd really like to see us try (maybe in pre season!) a Liverpool style forward 3 with Palmer as the Firminho role, Eliasson and maybe Semenyo as the Salah/Mane.

Might be a total disaster but Liverpool are so brilliant to watch at the moment, would definitely be exciting.

Might be one to try against Bristol Manor Farm though.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oddly sometimes I think he tries too hard, snatches at shots and rushes the pass. Maybe a few too many tricks and flicks, like he is desperate to please and impress. He needs to slow down, but slow down with confidence rather than his more usual slow down and hide when things aren't happening. Keep it simple and use his head and his feet together. He still has a long career ahead of him and lots to learn, but can we wait?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think so ...

“Hmmm” @Super ??! Here’s some more ‘natural finishes’ ... get the impression you’ll never rate Weimann, fair enough, all opinions count - I disagree with you on Weimann though ... some of these goals are against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal - AW is class ... yet you seem to dismiss his experience, skills, achievements and goals as “he runs around a lot...” 

You have to be strong or mobile in this league, only after that have you won the right to do your natural finishing. He isn't as strong as Fam and isn't as mobile as Weiman. It's a no from me. 

Anyway I'm not sure why the focus on a striker when our problem seems to be shipping goals. Scored enough to be around the top 2 - conceded enough to be around 18th.

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Lee doesn't rate him. Somethings not working and we tried to offload him to Charlton. Why would he play him up front? 

Well said LJ doesn't rate him doesn't even fit in the squad just like all the other clubs he was at and I've highlighted this before bad apple and a waste of £££££££ off load and get rid... 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be honest I've only seen one game where I liked Palmer's work rate at home earlier in the season. First half he was constantly closing down. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so different to all other performances I've seen of him off the ball.

Second half he could barely run anymore. Was brought off quite early.

I just don't think he has the stamina to do it. I don't class work rate as simply effort. I mean how much work does he actually get through. Not how hard is he trying.

I don't think he has the stamina to do it. He is often not really making runs. He closes down sometimes but not consistently other than that one first half earlier this season. Can't remember who that was against.

I'd be very surprised if he could play up front because of that.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:51, southvillekiddy said:

Seriously worth a try. Kasey is a natural talent.  Is there any good footballer who wouldn't give it a decent go?

Bobby managed it.

And he ran 11km a game. Palmer won't.

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd really like to see us try (maybe in pre season!) a Liverpool style forward 3 with Palmer as the Firminho role, Eliasson and maybe Semenyo as the Salah/Mane.

Might be a total disaster but Liverpool are so brilliant to watch at the moment, would definitely be exciting.

Might be one to try against Bristol Manor Farm though.

if you are going to attempt to try something like that first off are City players even close to it? fitness? intensity? discipline? three no's and a waste of time.

9 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

And he ran 11km a game. Palmer won't.

if you are going to attempt to try something like that first off are City players even close to it? fitness? intensity? discipline? three no's and a waste of time.

Just an idea as part of a wider convo, made clear it was a bit of fun by the choice of opposition - no need to take it so seriously !

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just an idea as part of a wider convo, made clear it was a bit of fun by the choice of opposition - no need to take it so seriously !

Sorry not obvious as the wider conversation was Palmer and mentions work rate. Liverpool are flat out maybe the most intense and full on in football anywhere. I would like to see more tempo and getting about the opposition but that's a team without Palmer in it.

On 21/01/2020 at 11:20, Denbury Red said:

Just a thought - we’ve seen he can shoot, we’ve seen he can head the ball and get in where it hurts - he doesn’t seem to be getting his tactics / effort right when playing in the middle - so how about trying him up front.

I agree with other threads that it’s too early to be thinking of moving him on - but has he found his best position?

When have we seen he can shoot? I've never witnessed him shoot with any conviction. Possibly with one effort vs the shrews. Definitely not the answer up top. Much rather him in behind playing the balls through.

Archived